ADVERTISEMENT

Our recruiting in North Carolina

DarkHorse2001

Sep 8, 2001
Our recruiting in North Carolina has produced nothing so far, and its getting late. Wisconsin, Missouri, Ga Southern, East Carolina, App St, all have commitments from NC's top 30 prospects. I noticed one of the ECU commits had a USC offer, but I guess he was not impressed enough.

Last edited:
Mac done locked up the State, just as he said he would....the old man as many called him has 4 of the top 5 in North Carolina and 4 of the top 10 in Virginia....he may drop down into SC next.

• Haha
Reactions: TAV31
I didn't expect we would have any in the NC top 5, or even top 10. Not one commitment in the top 30 was not expected.

Yeah, this has less to do with us and a lot more to do with Mack Brown returning and mending all the fences Fedora broke down.

Reactions: heelzfor2
CarolinaBro has a very good grasp of whats actually taking place here and I would like to thank him for acknowledging it. IMHO UNC and Clemson are very similar teams this year in that both were highly ranked in the preseason when they should not have been based on who was coming back. UNC lost around 4000 yards of offense from last years team in two running backs and a two WR's, plus others returning just have not live up to expectations. Struggles on the O/D lines as well.

CarolinaBro has a very good grasp of whats actually taking place here and I would like to thank him for acknowledging it. IMHO UNC and Clemson are very similar teams this year in that both were highly ranked in the preseason when they should not have been based on who was coming back. UNC lost around 4000 yards of offense from last years team in two running backs and a two WR's, plus others returning just have not live up to expectations. Struggles on the O/D lines as well.
I would add this: the fourth-year quarterback at UNC has shown some regression, for whatever reason. This is undoubtedly part of what you're talking about. But Mack is still a heck of a salesman. As long as he has the vitality to carry on, I wouldn't count him out.

Reactions: heelzfor2 and TAV31
Honestly, this kinda irritates me. Spurrier got the retirement questions all the time at USC. Mac Brown nothing. Nick Saban nothing. Why doesn’t the media badger them like they did Spurrier?
Another thing that irks me about the sports media, after Clowney finished his first college season there were some telling him to sit the next two seasons out to protect himself for the draft. After he completed his second season they were telling him he had nothing to prove, and sit out his third year for the draft. I cant recall another football player at any other university being questioned about why return to play after just one or two seasons.

757 man. The Beamer name is legendary there, and I’d be willing to bet that area has produced as much NFL/NBA talent as any region anywhere, especially when you consider the biggest city (Va. Beach - 400k) is a fraction of Charlotte and definitely ATL. Charlotte hasn’t produced an Iverson, Vick(s), Bruce Smith, Curry, Mourning, Aaron Brooks, Percy Harvin, Plaxico, Kam Chancellor, Dre Bly…….too many to name. If he could build a pipeline there, he’d do more than save his job.

Yes, we need to build some excitement and get some of the NC Top 30, but I’ll be damned if the entire state has anything on the Hampton Roads. I mean honestly, Frank locked down that area for about 50 years, and look how much better VT was than any NC school for those 50 years, with a few exceptions from Mack Part I.

Reactions: Carolina Doc
I don't disagree but it's hard to fault someone for being honest.
A person has to act in the best interest of the enterprise of which he is in charge. It was not necessary to answer with such frankness. A person could be more guarded and not lie to anybody. "There'll come a day. That day comes from everybody, but I can't tell you when that day will come because I don't know myself. We've got a lot of work left to do to get our program where we want it."

Reactions: myrtlecock
757 man. The Beamer name is legendary there, and I’d be willing to bet that area has produced as much NFL/NBA talent as any region anywhere, especially when you consider the biggest city (Va. Beach - 400k) is a fraction of Charlotte and definitely ATL. Charlotte hasn’t produced an Iverson, Vick(s), Bruce Smith, Curry, Mourning, Aaron Brooks, Percy Harvin, Plaxico, Kam Chancellor, Dre Bly…….too many to name. If he could build a pipeline there, he’d do more than save his job.

Yes, we need to build some excitement and get some of the NC Top 30, but I’ll be damned if the entire state has anything on the Hampton Roads. I mean honestly, Frank locked down that area for about 50 years, and look how much better VT was than any NC school for those 50 years, with a few exceptions from Mack Part I.
The University of Virginia was too snobbish and not going to recruit that area until Va Tech started beating them like a drum every year.

Reactions: Pauliecock
Yeah, this has less to do with us and a lot more to do with Mack Brown returning and mending all the fences Fedora broke down.
Not sure how you can say that? It has everything to do with us. We are supposed to recruit NC. Maybe Beamer is not that great a recruiter now that he does not have the Spurrier name to recruit for!

Not sure how you can say that? It has everything to do with us. We are supposed to recruit NC. Maybe Beamer is not that great a recruiter now that he does not have the Spurrier name to recruit for!

dang, give the man a chance with the garbage we have. It might take him a minute to get things going.

Yikes. I just posted on another tread here about how I think that our recruiting department needs to get their but’s in gear. Not just the Coaches, but the office staff behind the scenes. Top30 from NC and we don’t get any? Shouldn’t be happening.

A person has to act in the best interest of the enterprise of which he is in charge. It was not necessary to answer with such frankness. A person could be more guarded and not lie to anybody. "There'll come a day. That day comes from everybody, but I can't tell you when that day will come because I don't know myself. We've got a lot of work left to do to get our program where we want it."
I know that. You know that. Steve Spurrier knows that. But he's a guy that speaks first and worries about what people think about it later. He certainly would have liked to have had those words back. Not the only time it bit him in the ass. But his honesty and ability took him far in life.

I know that. You know that. Steve Spurrier knows that. But he's a guy that speaks first and worries about what people think about it later. He certainly would have liked to have had those words back. Not the only time it bit him in the ass. But his honesty and ability took him far in life.
He could get on with his life; we had to live with the wreckage.

Reactions: myrtlecock
Our recruiting in North Carolina has produced nothing so far, and its getting late. Wisconsin, Missouri, Ga Southern, East Carolina, App St, all have commitments from NC's top 30 prospects. I noticed one of the ECU commits had a USC offer but, I guess he was not impressed enough.
Recruiting is based on relationships. We are going to be paying for the Muschamp, "you must come to my camp" philosophy for a little while. Hopefully, things will be better in 2022 for 2023 recruiting class.

757. I liked referring to the area as Hampton Roads or Tidewater VA much better.

Anyhow, I do think you are correct. To me, it seems like at a minimum, USC should be able to get most of the top INSTATE talent, and then one or two top names from VA, NC, and GA, because some kids just want to leave the state and try something new. Anything else would be a bonus.

Yes, thats true, and IMHO not uncommon these days. Majority of them do not see a lot of playing time in their future at UNC. I applaud them for looking at other Universities where they may see the field more. They should do whats best for them.

Last edited:
Yes, thats true, and IMHO not uncommon these days. Majority of them do not see a lot of playing time in their future at UNC. I appalled them for looking at other Universities where they may see the field more. They should do whats best for them.
I get that, was just conveying that recruiting can look great one day and not so much these days.

Reactions: heelzfor2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT