ADVERTISEMENT

Our team is much better than our fans

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
You think you're great fans but you are not.. I was in the stadium all thru the rain and onslaught of a terrific offense led by the best passer in our league... The fans punked out and went home.. Stop blasting coaches and players.. Look in a mirror and see what you can do to support the program better

Would Auburn, Bama, LSU, FLA, UGA etc. have an 80% empty stadium under the same circumstances? Apparently our fans have more exciting things to do than all of the above-mentioned fanbases.

Would Auburn, Bama, LSU, FLA, UGA etc. have an 80% empty stadium under the same circumstances? Apparently our fans have more exciting things to do than all of the above-mentioned fanbases.
Would auburn, Bama, LSU, uga hire our last 2 OC? Would they attempt a Fg down 3 td? Would they have ran out the clock last week down two scores? Would they put up with an offense so predictable even announcers saying everyone in the stadium knew what we were run run pass? Would they put up with five bomb by Kentucky? Heck no! If they did I promise they would have empty seats

Would Auburn, Bama, LSU, FLA, UGA etc. have an 80% empty stadium under the same circumstances?.

Yes. Results dictate fan excitement and willingness to commit free time. There were plenty of times under the likes of Shula, Muschamp and Chizik that those fans largely abandoned the team in the second half of frustrating games.

Yes. Results dictate fan excitement and willingness to commit free time. There were plenty of times under the likes of Shula, Muschamp and Chizik that those fans largely abandoned the team in the second half of frustrating games.
So it wasn’t a fan issue. The coaches sucked?

Bama is actually having trouble with fan attendance, student attendance specifically. This was addressed just last week by Saban.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
So it wasn’t a fan issue. The coaches sucked?

Well, yes. But also the stadium experience mostly sucks at all these places. Terrible food, no alcohol, they run out of water/sports drinks, uncomfortable metal bleachers, few or no TVs in the concourse, no WiFi or cell reception, etc., etc. At Willy B, you can’t walk to any bars or restaurants after the game (unless you want to hoof it a mile and a half). You have to start thinking about your next move in the second half. At all these other places you are in walking distance to bars and resturants, so it’s not as big of a deal on staying until the end.

Reactions: jonesz21
Well, yes. But also the stadium experience mostly sucks at all these places. Terrible food, no alcohol, they run out of water/sports drinks, uncomfortable metal bleachers, few or no TVs in the concourse, no WiFi or cell reception, etc., etc. At Willy B, you can’t walk to any bars or restaurants after the game (unless you want to hoof it a mile and a half). You have to start thinking about your next move in the second half. At all these other places you are in walking distance to bars and resturants, so it’s not as big of a deal on staying until the end.
Yeah but you can walk to Waffle House after a game at our stadium!:D

You think you're great fans but you are not.. I was in the stadium all thru the rain and onslaught of a terrific offense led by the best passer in our league... The fans punked out and went home.. Stop blasting coaches and players.. Look in a mirror and see what you can do to support the program better
We are a middle of the pack team in the SEC. As always. We lost to UK. As we’ve done 5 years in a row. We lost to UGA. As we usually do. We will lose to Clemp. For the 5th time in a row. We haven’t beaten aTm. We likely won’t break that streak this week. Yet, we pump millions into the program every year. And we regaularly fill an 80,000 seat stadium despite the fact we’ve never won anything.

This year, our play resembles Champ’s 3rd year at UF. Our QBs and RBs are average. Our WRs, which were supposed to be our strength, keep dropping passes. Our DL can’t stuff anyone. Our LB play may be the worst I’ve seen, which is saying a lot.

Care to dispute any of this?

I looked over at wife and daughter and they were miserable yesterday in East upper. They don’t care about football and we’re there for parents weekend. We left at end of first because there was no way I would ask them to sit 3.5 hours in that. I would have stayed and watched it all if I were alone. Personally I was pissed the team once again doesn’t seem to want to play football until they dig a hole. I’m sure it’s not that simple. But it’s happened a lot. Our staff makes good halftime adjustments. But apparently doesn’t prepare as well for the first half.
Honestly I think the success we had (albeit short) with Spurrier has made this fan base (me included) impatient with bad play. We simply believe we should be better than what we see. And the truth is 2010-2013 is the exception and not the rule.
The heat had as much to do with fans leaving as the performance did.

I looked over at wife and daughter and they were miserable yesterday in East upper. They don’t care about football and we’re there for parents weekend. We left at end of first because there was no way I would ask them to sit 3.5 hours in that. I would have stayed and watched it all if I were alone. Personally I was pissed the team once again doesn’t seem to want to play football until they dig a hole. I’m sure it’s not that simple. But it’s happened a lot. Our staff makes good halftime adjustments. But apparently doesn’t prepare as well for the first half.
Honestly I think the success we had (albeit short) with Spurrier has made this fan base (me included) impatient with bad play. We simply believe we should be better than what we see. And the truth is 2010-2013 is the exception and not the rule.
The heat had as much to do with fans leaving as the performance did.

The truth is that we recognize bad play now and know that we can be better. Harder to accept.

The truth is that we recognize bad play now and know that we can be better. Harder to accept.
Not so sure we didn’t recognize it before, but it’s hard and frustrating to backslide. Trust me, I was no fan of Spurrier, Jr., but our WRs played better back then.

I stayed for the whole game it is unreal how everybody left.

I guess there are several definitions as to what constitutes a "good fan." For some, being a good fan means giving your time, money, and emotional support to the team, no matter what. For others, being a good fan means supporting your team, but not being blindly foolish about it. (I'm not saying anyone is being blind or foolish.) I think I fall somewhere in between, closer to the later than the former.

These days especially, a university's athletics department is a business. Sure, wins and losses, championships and rivalries still matter. But, the bottom line is more important than previous. A university's AD has to make decisions which he thinks will most positively affect that bottom line.

Using USC as the example: If each home-Saturday, Tanner sees full parking lots, a full stadium, money spent on concessions, and donations being made to the Gamecock Club, he has no motivation for change. The fans are his customers, and the fans must be happy with the product/service if they are spending money.

I'm not advocating sabotage. What Clemson fans did to Ken Hatfield was despicable. (For those too young to remember...Clemson fans were making contact with kids Hatfield was recruiting, telling them why they should NOT go to Clemson...in an effort to get rid of Hatfield quicker.)

If you aren't happy with the football product, quit spending your money on it. Quit going to games. Quit donating to the Gamecock club.

If you think things are heading in the right direction, and Muschamp just needs a few more years to show real progress, keep giving, keep attending.

I don't know the future for this staff. I'm supportive, but admit I'm not sure they will get it done. But, if things get bad, and consistently bad, I'm not playing a game of "I'm a better fan than you because I stayed and cheered for 4 quarters" with anyone. I'm a fan of Quinton Tarrintino, but I'm not spending money watching/buying his movies if they aren't good.

I always love it when the folks come out of the woodwork to start blaming the fans. When kids are in youth, and even high school, sports they deserve your support without regards to success, or failure. But that changes when it comes to a college program. A premium price is charged to have the pleasure of supporting the team. Tanner is paid handsomely, and Muschamp makes millions to put a product on the field that people want to go see. Bottom line, college sports is big business. Folks with bleeding hearts like to refer to the players as "kids". And these "kids" are treated like kings in a way most normal folks can only dream of when things go well. And lets be brutally honest. A grand majority couldnt even hope to sniff admittance to the university on their own academic merits. But because football is such a money maker, they are admitted and then have their hand held by tutors and advisors the normal student couldnt imagine having access to on their path to graduation. 18-22 yr olds that aren't as athletically gifted are in harms way defending our right to leisurely go to a football game when we want. So let's leave that argument right there. College football is just like any other form of entertainment. Put a product in front of the public that they will want to see, and support. USC has had plenty of fan support over the years. In my opinion, the support of the fans has hardly been repaid in kind by the results of the football program. Blame the fans if you want. But put a product the fan base is excited about on the field, and the fans will be there.

I don’t blame anyone for leaving in those conditions. I especially don’t blame anyone for leaving during the delay. Doesn’t make anyone any better or worse of a fan...

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I stayed for the whole game it is unreal how everybody left.

Right it’s not like we were playing UghA & and down 20ish
I did have an extra mini bottle & had to sneak into the club level to get a ginger ale because all the concessions were closed

I always love it when the folks come out of the woodwork to start blaming the fans. When kids are in youth, and even high school, sports they deserve your support without regards to success, or failure. But that changes when it comes to a college program. A premium price is charged to have the pleasure of supporting the team. Tanner is paid handsomely, and Muschamp makes millions to put a product on the field that people want to go see. Bottom line, college sports is big business. Folks with bleeding hearts like to refer to the players as "kids". And these "kids" are treated like kings in a way most normal folks can only dream of when things go well. And lets be brutally honest. A grand majority couldnt even hope to sniff admittance to the university on their own academic merits. But because football is such a money maker, they are admitted and then have their hand held by tutors and advisors the normal student couldnt imagine having access to on their path to graduation. 18-22 yr olds that aren't as athletically gifted are in harms way defending our right to leisurely go to a football game when we want. So let's leave that argument right there. College football is just like any other form of entertainment. Put a product in front of the public that they will want to see, and support. USC has had plenty of fan support over the years. In my opinion, the support of the fans has hardly been repaid in kind by the results of the football program. Blame the fans if you want. But put a product the fan base is excited about on the field, and the fans will be there.

Can't argue with this. Even though I'd like too.

USC has taken their fans loyalty for granted at times.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I do agree our team is much better than our fans. I’d favor our team by at least 3 points if they were to play each other.

Bs, i have put up with nearly 4 decades of bad football.

Why have you continued to buy tickets for 4 decades, if you are not satisfied with the team's performance.

Why don't you STOP purchasing season tickets and allow someone else to purchase those tickets, who will support our FB team rain are shine.

I have supported the gamecocks since the Marvin Bass days (1950's) and they have taught me how to endure pain. What I want to point out is I have more years behind me than I have ahead of me.

I was there when Archie Manning and Miss. State beat us 56 to 0, and we got 1 first down late in the 4th qtr. Also, I was there when we beat LSU, Fla St, Alabama, and other ranked teams.

My point is support the team NOW and hold onto your memories of the past. GO COCKS.
D. Weaver
Hartsville

Last edited:
Well, considering my husband and I were still soaking wet five hours after the game ended, and we only left the stands when we were ordered to do so, I think we did support the team. We returned to the stadium as soon as we were allowed. After the game we drove our USC student grandson to his apartment, and then we drove his mom and brother to their home. I will never attend another game without rain gear though. Fun game, but it was a miserable drive home. Would we do it again? Without a doubt.

Why have you continued to buy tickets for 4 decades. If you are not satisfied with the team's performance
why don't you STOP getting season tickets and allow someone else to purchase those tickets, who will support our FB team rain are shine.
I have supported the gamecocks since the Marvin Bass days
It's not like we have a waiting list for tickets. I'm sure the tickets he's buying, there's plenty of seats for sale in the same section and row. The past 2 years they've called me asking if I wanted to buy more because they had so many left over in the lower levels.

Stop scheduling UAB etc........

Okay. So long as we quit scheduling UGA, FL, TAMU, and Clemson, (add KY for the immediate future) every year plus an Alabama, Auburn or LSU as a rotating football T-Rex system. In other words, get a nice, winnable schedule like our Hill Country cousins.

I guess there are several definitions as to what constitutes a "good fan." For some, being a good fan means giving your time, money, and emotional support to the team, no matter what. For others, being a good fan means supporting your team, but not being blindly foolish about it. (I'm not saying anyone is being blind or foolish.) I think I fall somewhere in between, closer to the later than the former.

These days especially, a university's athletics department is a business. Sure, wins and losses, championships and rivalries still matter. But, the bottom line is more important than previous. A university's AD has to make decisions which he thinks will most positively affect that bottom line.

Using USC as the example: If each home-Saturday, Tanner sees full parking lots, a full stadium, money spent on concessions, and donations being made to the Gamecock Club, he has no motivation for change. The fans are his customers, and the fans must be happy with the product/service if they are spending money.

I'm not advocating sabotage. What Clemson fans did to Ken Hatfield was despicable. (For those too young to remember...Clemson fans were making contact with kids Hatfield was recruiting, telling them why they should NOT go to Clemson...in an effort to get rid of Hatfield quicker.)

If you aren't happy with the football product, quit spending your money on it. Quit going to games. Quit donating to the Gamecock club.

If you think things are heading in the right direction, and Muschamp just needs a few more years to show real progress, keep giving, keep attending.

I don't know the future for this staff. I'm supportive, but admit I'm not sure they will get it done. But, if things get bad, and consistently bad, I'm not playing a game of "I'm a better fan than you because I stayed and cheered for 4 quarters" with anyone. I'm a fan of Quinton Tarrintino, but I'm not spending money watching/buying his movies if they aren't good.
Sir very well stated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT