ADVERTISEMENT

"Outlet" shopping

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
Anyone else here remember when outlets were actually outlets? They offered overstock or unsold merchandise or seconds with slight manufacturing defects.

The wife and I took a baby-moon this past weekend with kiddo #3 due to arrive in 11 days. There were some outlets near where we were staying and we decided to go check them out since my my wife was still wanting some baby clothes and they had a Carter's. While we were there, I hopped into a Clark's shoe store to see if they had any good sales going on. I found a pair of shoes I really liked but wasn't sure on the price. I found out all the shoes were $79/pair or $89 for 2 pair. I thought this was completely stupid. First, I didn't need two pair of shoes. Second, even though $89 for two pair of nice shoes isn't a bad deal, I just hated the gimmick. I wasn't desperate for a new pair anyway. Out of curiosity, I took a picture of the tag and looked the shoes up online. Zappos and Amazon both have the exact same shoe for $51.

Even though I know in my head that outlets have long since ceased to be any kind of bargain shopping option, there's still a part of me that can't shake that "let's go to the outlets for a deal" mindset. Heck my wife looked at a dress in the Polo store that was $300. If you catch things JUST right, you can still get some pretty crazy deals at outlets, but for routine shopping, they obviously aren't any different than just shopping in regular stores. For that matter, outlets are just regular stores in terms of pricing. The one thing outlets have is that they tend to offer the greatest concentration of clothing stores in one location, which can be convenient but not money-saving.

I'm reminded of why I do most of my clothes shopping (when I do it) at TJ Maxx these days.

Reactions: redrogers
I think some stores consistently have good deals such as UA. UA outlets are ess expensive than most stores but you can find some things cheaper at TJ Maxx. Tj's is hit or miss (mostly miss) if you are looking for something in particular.

There is a Burton outlet store in Grove City PA. I always find great snowboard deals there.

It depends on the store. Like you I remember when they were all full of last years items or slightly flawed pieces. Some stores are still like that but most are just the same as the stores you’ll find anywhere else. I’m curious if the death of malls has just made the outlets the new mall.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
I think some stores consistently have good deals such as UA. UA outlets are ess expensive than most stores but you can find some things cheaper at TJ Maxx. Tj's is hit or miss (mostly miss) if you are looking for something in particular.

There is a Burton outlet store in Grove City PA. I always find great snowboard deals there.
Yeah, there are still deals to be had but just fewer and further between than they used to be. Even after outlets go away from what they originally were, most of them had pretty steep sales going on most of the time. I've just noticed in recent years the sales are becoming less impressive and the prices are more or less the same as regular retail.

It depends on the store. Like you I remember when they were all full of last years items or slightly flawed pieces. Some stores are still like that but most are just the same as the stores you’ll find anywhere else. I’m curious if the death of malls has just made the outlets the new mall.
I think that's probably the case. Shopper preferences have just drifted. It is nicer to stroll around outside for much of the year.

At most outlet stores, shoes marked 2 for $89 don't mean they have to be the same shoes or the same price. You can get a pair for you and a pair for your wife.
Yeah, I'm sure that was the case, but my wife didn't need a pair and I didn't need a second pair. It's been a while, but it's kind of like how the movie theater would charge $4.00 for small drink and $5.00 for the large. The obvious being, if you're gonna pay $4.00 for the small, why not pay $5,00 for the large?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I used to go to the Yellow Mall in Gaffney to visit a couple of stores, buy the last time I went I bought 3 XXL Polo shirts and by the times I washed them twice they were too tight, and I'm not a big guy. The quality sure has deteriorated, at least for that store. The Nike store and Pottery Barn outlet did have some good stuff.

I used to go to the Yellow Mall in Gaffney to visit a couple of stores, buy the last time I went I bought 3 XXL Polo shirts and by the times I washed them twice they were too tight, and I'm not a big guy. The quality sure has deteriorated, at least for that store. The Nike store and Pottery Barn outlet did have some good stuff.

Some stores definitely make clothes specifically for their outlets. One I know is Banana Republic. They make a khaki pant that is specific for their outlet (has no label on the outside of the pant). But, I've found these to be the khakis that fit me best, even better than the ones they sell in their regular store, so I continue to buy these from their online factory store when I need new ones. J Crew also does this I know. I'm sure others do with apparel as well.

I agree the deals can be hit and miss. I recently bought my son a Nike headband at the Nike outlet, $16, the same headband is available on Amazon with Prime shipping for $15. Several months ago, the Justice store at our outlet mall was closing and we bought our daughter several items for great prices.

I'm not a big outlet shopper and 'm not really familiar with the Clark's brand, but when I wore dress clothes every day, I would have been all over a 2 for $89 deal, assuming one pair legitimately retails for about $79. I almost always ended up buying a new pair of black shoes and a new pair of brown shoes every year.

As for online shoe deals being cheaper, that's probably true, but I still like to try them on since my shoe size can vary as much as a full size between brands. If I'm in the store anyway and they are reasonably priced, I'll probably go ahead and buy them then rather than go home and order them online.

I used to visit the Myrtle Beach outlets as a kid on family vacations and stock up on clothes for the year. I always waited to “school shop” on summer vacation because I could get a ton of stuff at the outlets compared to only a few things Columbiana Mall back in Irmo.

I haven’t been to an outlet or even mall in probably almost a decade. now I typically buy all by clothes offline. UnderArmour gives a 20% military discount. If you stumble onto their site on the right holiday they lower it to 40% off site wide. I just got a $160 pair of shoes for $90.

Last edited:
I used to visit the Myrtle Beach outlets as a kid on family vacations and stock up on clothes for the year. I always waited to “school shop” on summer vacation because I could get a ton of stuff at the outlets compared to only a few things Columbiana Mall back in Irmo.

I haven’t been to an outlet or even mall in probably almost a decade. now I typically buy all by clothes offline. UnderArmour gives a 20% military discount. If you stumble onto their site on the right holiday they lower it to 40% off site wide. I just got a $160 pair of shoes for $90.

my wife and I only stop at factory outlets that are part of the actual physical factory. Outlet Malls are just the same old malls — just outdoors. You won’t find any deals at the outlet mall in Commerce, GA off of I-85.

I visited the Grove City, PA outlets today. Some very good deals at North Face and Columbia. I bought 3 pairs of $250 snowboard pants for $62 each. Almost everything was 30-75% off. I was very underwhelmed by the Burton store. Have always found good deals there in the past.

Not really many great deals beyond these two stores. We did buy some cloths at Under Armour. Good deals, not great.

Best part of the visit, primanti bros and Iron Bridge. Excellent as always.

Anyone else here remember when outlets were actually outlets? They offered overstock or unsold merchandise or seconds with slight manufacturing defects.

The wife and I took a baby-moon this past weekend with kiddo #3 due to arrive in 11 days. There were some outlets near where we were staying and we decided to go check them out since my my wife was still wanting some baby clothes and they had a Carter's. While we were there, I hopped into a Clark's shoe store to see if they had any good sales going on. I found a pair of shoes I really liked but wasn't sure on the price. I found out all the shoes were $79/pair or $89 for 2 pair. I thought this was completely stupid. First, I didn't need two pair of shoes. Second, even though $89 for two pair of nice shoes isn't a bad deal, I just hated the gimmick. I wasn't desperate for a new pair anyway. Out of curiosity, I took a picture of the tag and looked the shoes up online. Zappos and Amazon both have the exact same shoe for $51.

Even though I know in my head that outlets have long since ceased to be any kind of bargain shopping option, there's still a part of me that can't shake that "let's go to the outlets for a deal" mindset. Heck my wife looked at a dress in the Polo store that was $300. If you catch things JUST right, you can still get some pretty crazy deals at outlets, but for routine shopping, they obviously aren't any different than just shopping in regular stores. For that matter, outlets are just regular stores in terms of pricing. The one thing outlets have is that they tend to offer the greatest concentration of clothing stores in one location, which can be convenient but not money-saving.

I'm reminded of why I do most of my clothes shopping (when I do it) at TJ Maxx these days.
U went shopping with the wife? Not that there anything wrong with that🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT