ADVERTISEMENT

Papa Bentley

DeepfriedCock

Jan 30, 2017
Late in the game Saturday. Mon Denson got some reps late in the fourth Quarter. I don't like playing our 4th string RB when the game is on the line. He is 4th string for a reason. Even with Rico out I think Williams an Turner can handle the load. Both those guys looked like they were getting in a Rhythm. This just my opinion how do y'all feel about the way rotate our backs.

Late in the game Saturday. Mon Denson got some reps late in the fourth Quarter. I don't like playing our 4th string RB when the game is on the line. He is 4th string for a reason. Even with Rico out I think Williams an Turner can handle the load. Both those guys looked like they were getting in a Rhythm. This just my opinion how do y'all feel about the way rotate our backs.
IIRC Ty'Son went out with a hand injury.
And JFTR I thought Denson ran OK

I was fine with it. They thought enough of the kid to give him a scholarship, our other backs tired or banged up or completely out for the season, I'm good with putting a fresh back out there to see what he can do. And it looks to me like it turned out OK.

Gotta do what you gotta do. Recruit players who can and WANT to play when their name's called - BUILD DEPTH - that is the clarion call of the 'SEC WARS'. Do it or perish.

If you got RB averaging 6 yards a carry. He should get more than 14 carries. Maybe I'm old school when comes to that.

Reactions: bagel400
I figured Tyson was banged up? With Rico out and AJ not an every down back, I figured that was why Mon got some carries?

Was Tyson perfectly healthy and Mon got carries over him?

If Mon has good ball security, I would like to see him more on short yardage, I don't like Turner in those situations.

Denson will be OK. Before sat I didn’t want Turner getttng many snaps

RB is a position where you typically play by committee these days. Denson looked about as good as the rest of them in the 2nd half against Tennessee.

Reactions: Brace1
With folks getting lost to injury, and dinged up, got to do what you have to do. Next man up kind of deal. Not sure Bentley can be criticized for this move. Only move he had. Often times an experienced, yet tired, player is more prone to fumble than the fresh inexperienced player. And he coaches them every day in practice. He should know if he has confidence in him.

Reactions: rogue cock
RB is a position where you typically play by committee these days. Denson looked about as good as the rest of them in the 2nd half against Tennessee.
That's right. Look at UGA. They've got a man like Chubb but run three people. The days of 30 carries seem to be over.

It's like I've heard CWM say about just about any position asked about; the staff expects anyone they put out there to play at a high level. Same for Denson.

Personally, I was glad to see him get some touches (obviously not at the expense of our other guys though). I've been anxious to see what he could do since he committed.

Last edited:
Many people including myself wrote Denson off after his freshman year. It is still baffling to me that Everette Sands gave Denson a scholarship instead of Ty'son out of high school. It all worked out in the end. Anything we get out of Denson at this point is gravy. I think Bentley has done an outstanding job of turning him into a serviceable back, and I'm happy for the kid.

Williams was dinged up, I thought it was his upper leg but someone else said hand...anyway, before Denson played, I saw Williams come off with an aggravation in his leg, and I dont remember him coming back in, but I may be wrong.

Look around in CF these days and everyone uses 3 backs. Rico was out. Mon became the third guy. He did fine.

Williams was dinged up, I thought it was his upper leg but someone else said hand...anyway, before Denson played, I saw Williams come off with an aggravation in his leg, and I dont remember him coming back in, but I may be wrong.

They were looking at Tyson's hand on the sidelines. With the game on the line you don't want a RB with a hurt hand. Besides, Mon is a load and runs low to the ground behind his pads. That's great for short yardage situations. I doubt you would have seen Mon if Tyson was 100% though.

Glad Denson got an opportunity to contribute. Thought he did well.

I figured Tyson was banged up? With Rico out and AJ not an every down back, I figured that was why Mon got some carries?

Was Tyson perfectly healthy and Mon got carries over him?

If Mon has good ball security, I would like to see him more on short yardage, I don't like Turner in those situations.
Not normally a fan there either, but he looked pretty dang tough in those situations Saturday. Maybe because they ran to the outside AND got some blocking on the outside. He did get quite a few yards after contact, though.

Thought Denson looked good.

Really like to see Kinlaw get some touches too though. But it is hard to see the fourth guy getting many in a one rb offense.

Whatever happened to CJ Freeman?

Is he just not the same guy as in HS due to injuries?

He is a red shirt freshman, right?

Whatever happened to CJ Freeman?

Is he just not the same guy as in HS due to injuries?

He is a red shirt freshman, right?
Good question. I was trying to remember his name the other day.

According to Gamecocksonline;

"2016: Redshirted in his true freshmen season after enrolling in January... injured in practice late in the year and underwent knee surgery in December."

If he had knee surgery in Dec. '16, he's probably just not fully recovered yet, but I would think would be getting close.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gradstudent
I won't to see Denson line up at fullback. Really won't to see some I Formation football.

So what he was 4th string. Kid did really well. You do realize Ohio State won a natty with its 3rd string QB (when the year started). He was great.

I'll go on record.. Denson will play valuable minutes and contribute ...from my eye sight, I believe he is a good back

Reactions: freebird2001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT