ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Kelsey leaving Winthrop for UMAss

Seriously?!? No way Winthrop could match the offer, could they?

Bamford said he accepted Kelsey's decision after discussing the situation with him.

"In my conversation with Pat, he made it clear that his reasons were very personal and upon his request, I will honor our confidential conversation. Pat stressed that his decision was not based on the University of Massachusetts or our basketball program. Again, his reasons were personal in nature. I know that the unforeseen circumstances surrounding his decision were not in our control," Bamford said in the statement.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...985647/pat-kelsey-backs-umass-minutemen-coach

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
Bamford said he accepted Kelsey's decision after discussing the situation with him.

"In my conversation with Pat, he made it clear that his reasons were very personal and upon his request, I will honor our confidential conversation. Pat stressed that his decision was not based on the University of Massachusetts or our basketball program. Again, his reasons were personal in nature. I know that the unforeseen circumstances surrounding his decision were not in our control," Bamford said in the statement.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...985647/pat-kelsey-backs-umass-minutemen-coach
Hmmm. Interesting. That "explanation" will lend itself to a lot of speculation.

Beloved Coach Gregg Marshall accepted an offer to coach the College of Charleston in June 2006, but changed his mind after the press conference introducing him as coach and returned to Winthrop.

Beloved Coach Gregg Marshall accepted an offer to coach the College of Charleston in June 2006, but changed his mind after the press conference introducing him as coach and returned to Winthrop.
Yeah, that's pretty well known. Are you saying Winthrop has some kind of extraordinary pull that draws people back in?

Am I what? Just trying to figure out what your post was intended to mean. UMass is a bigger job than CoC....would be much more difficult to turn down.
you posted: "Are you saying Winthrop has some kind of extraordinary pull that draws people back in?"

my reply was: "no; are you?"

go cocks!

When I interviewed for a job up north, they flew my wife up there too and took us both out to dinner to make sure she was on board with the move. They wanted to prevent this type of scenario. I don't know the back story, but it could be a wife veto.

Glad he changed his mind. He is a dynamic coach who is just starting to build here. His team was just so much weaker and thinner than Butley they never had a prayer. He will have other opportunities but he doesn't exactly have to rub pennies together now.

Reactions: RangerCocky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT