ADVERTISEMENT

Paying Players - REAL TALK

That's absurd. If there is federal legislation saying that amateur athletes can profit from their likeness then it would be totally viable to pay them all a base plus bonus package for that likeness.

FTR, I've had plenty of dealings with tax attorneys at much bigger firms than Baker and no decent LLM would say it can't be done. They might say it will be tough but only second rate counsel says you can't do it.
Go ahead and get that federal legislation and then we will talk. Legislators aren't well known for ironing out all the kinks in other laws that impact their new legislation.

Glad you've have experiences with tax attorneys at firms larger than Baker....kudos. Why don't you run this idea of yours by one of them, the Supreme Court has already decided that scholarships don't count as income which kept the amateur status alive for the tax exemptions. Seriously doubt direct payments will ever pass muster with the IRS or the Supreme Court.

Go ahead and get that federal legislation and then we will talk. Legislators aren't well known for ironing out all the kinks in other laws that impact their new legislation.

Glad you've have experiences with tax attorneys at firms larger than Baker....kudos. Why don't you run this idea of yours by one of them, the Supreme Court has already decided that scholarships don't count as income which kept the amateur status alive for the tax exemptions. Seriously doubt direct payments will ever pass muster with the IRS or the Supreme Court.
Did you read the NYT article in the original post? We will know what the court says fairly soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing a Carolina player's face on some upstate Chevy billboards. Tired of seeing Renfrow on those stupid Unclaimed Furniture commercials during morning news.

That's part of enjoying any messageboard or forum but I really do believe D1 college football has some serious problems that mostly revolve around money. I went to Carolina as well but it was a joke academically. My degree was fun I guess and my liberal arts classes exposed me to some interesting books and ideas but it was most certainly not worth the money I spent on it. Had a riot of a good time though. Cola is an underrated college town.
Maybe it was a joke to you academically because of the liberal arts degree 😳. JK!

USC was a blast for me as well (sometimes too much) but I was challenged academically due to the classes I chose to take.
The great thing about USC (and many universities) is the diversity of ideas, people, educational degrees, community opportunities, etc... I always tell those headed off to college to challenge oneself and to take advantage of the opportunity.

For me, I went to concerts (from AC/DC to REM to MC Hammer), went to see a Broadway performance at the Koger Arts center, drank with Hootie and the Blowfish, went to every athletic event at least once a year and traveled to many away football games. I saw comics, magicians, a symphony orchestra, and attended many guest lectures. I played basketball with the Lady G’s and a pick up game with the men’s team (because I sat beside JoJo English in a class, knew Ignovich, and Rolston- not because of my skill to run with them).

My point is College will be what you make of it. The reasons that the college experience is special aren’t all about the education but that is why one is there.

Sure some things may need to change in the athletic rhelm. But as soon as you start changing the amature environment, a lot of those extra opportunities will go away because colleges won’t have the money necessary to make the experience wholistic.

That's absurd. If there is federal legislation saying that amateur athletes can profit from their likeness then it would be totally viable to pay them all a base plus bonus package for that likeness.

FTR, I've had plenty of dealings with tax attorneys at much bigger firms than Baker and no decent LLM would say it can't be done. They might say it will be tough but only second rate counsel says you can't do it.
This simply will not work from a practical standpoint. The QB who gets his name in the paper every week ends up with endorsements while the left guard, who nobody ever heard of, gets squat for protecting the QB and getting his brains beat out every week. If you want lots of resentment and dissension on your team this is an excellent place to start.

This simply will not work from a practical standpoint. The QB who gets his name in the paper every week ends up with endorsements while the left guard, who nobody ever heard of, gets squat for protecting the QB and getting his brains beat out every week. If you want lots of resentment and dissension on your team this is an excellent place to start.
Read the article. It's going to happen whether we agree or not. Multiple states have already set a timetable for it.

Ok, so if you pay them, take away:

Free tuition
Free books and supplies
Free room and board
Free meals
Free clothing (warmup gear, sweats, hoodies, workout clothing etc)
Free athletic coaching
Free academic tutoring
Free access to strength conditioning coaches and nutrition experts
Free access to top notch facilities for strength conditioning (actual equipment)
Free access to top notch facilities for entertainment (higher end student facilities with games, tv's, etc)
Free physical therapy
and the list goes on...

Some don't go pro from college but will have a degree. These student's usually know who they are and major in something meaningful. The others will go pro and 3 years seems like a small investment of time to make millions of dollars.

We just live in a world of over-entitlement. These athletes don't have to play, they can go to school like the rest of us and get a job. It's a simple decision.

@shorecock I hope that it is ok that I quoted your statement above on the Insiders Forum. You worded my thoughts so well that it was best to just quote you and give you the credit.

The difference is that there isn't money in HS, middle school, and travel ball. No billion dollar TV contracts, sky high ticket prices, coaches making millions, etc. I've never paid a dime nor will I ever pay a dime to watch a travel ball team and there aren't entire cable channels dedicated to middle school football. Millions pay big money to watch the Lattimores, Clowneys, and Connor Shaws of the world at the college level through ticket prices and cable subscriptions, though. Your analogy doesn't work, alas.
Multiple High School games are now on TV every week 😉. My comments have a level of sarcasm but like many things we sensationalize in this world we ruin it through making it more than it is and marketing & advertising the heck out of it. Kinda like campaign adds, they don’t seem to have issues coming up with money to blow

Reactions: SCexpat38
Make It Rain Money GIF

ADVERTISEMENT