ADVERTISEMENT

Per Colin Cowherd is this why other conferences are catching up to the SEC? - Link.

I
He's right about this.
He may be. But it sucks that the rest of the conference suffers because UGA and LSU fired guys who averaged 10 wins per year. UF, UT, and Arkansas weren't unreasonable in firing the guys they fired. They would have been fired at any major power 5 program.

If its pressure to succeed that's killing SEC football, then I guess that means the conference is about to become a hotbed for great basketball coaches.

He is right. Just like fans here hating on our team that won 8 games. Ridiculous. Coaches are avoiding this conference at all costs because the PAC-12, Big 10, Big 12, and ACC are less pressure
Hating on our team? Hating now? Really? What terminology will you use when some actual hatred comes along, since the hate card will have already been played?

I

He may be. But it sucks that the rest of the conference suffers because UGA and LSU fired guys who averaged 10 wins per year. UF, UT, and Arkansas weren't unreasonable in firing the guys they fired. They would have been fired at any major power 5 program.

If its pressure to succeed that's killing SEC football, then I guess that means the conference is about to become a hotbed for great basketball coaches.

Never looked at it that way.

Hating on our team? Hating now? Really? What terminology will you use when some actual hatred comes along, since the hate card will have already been played?

Relax ya old geezer. Colloquially, "hating" can mean just generally showing disrespect to someone or something.

Problem with his conclusion. He's warning UT fans that, as a result of their outcry, they are going to wind up with "somebody else's scraps". How is that argument effective when their leadership, before the outcry, was about to hire a Greg Schiano? Tell me how.

Even barring the Jerry Sandusky scandal, to which there was no proof whatsoever Schiano was even remotely involved, I just don't think Schiano was a good fit for Knoxville, he is a New Jersey boy.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
I agree with many of his points. The SEC didn't stop getting great athletes but rather stop getting great coaches. Just looking at the East. Watching Florida, Tennessee, and us for example is dreadful at times. It's as though the plays drawn up come straight from a kid a stick and some sand. Heck look at Clemson vs. the worst teams in the ACC. Most of the time they're competitive with them. Look at Boston College for example. Do they have more athletes than us. Heck no but they were tied 7-7 at the beginning of the 4th quarter in Death valley. So a team with less athletes for sure is playing heads up with them and we on the other hand are getting destroyed. Makes u wonder.

Reactions: king ward
What a joke. The SEC is the king of college football and always will be. That guy is not very smart. The SEC is the toughest conference with the best fans in America. Only a tater or some other A-She-She fan would say anything else.

Reactions: Brucifer
As far as shiano, the ad at ohio state said he was fully vetted and shiano has full support from him and the university

So when real hating is operative, what do you say so as not to confuse your meaning with colloquial hating? I'm asking for a reason.

Really, no one refers to actual hatred being displayed towards someone/something as "hating". It's almost exclusively used colloquially these days.

Too many SEC schools want to be Bama. How many Saban clones or Saban assistants are coaching in the SEC now?

Too many SEC schools want to be Bama. How many Saban clones or Saban assistants are coaching in the SEC now?

Just 2 and their schools went a combined 12-4 in conference play. A&M is going after Jimbo, so there could be a 3rd.

Just 2 and their schools went a combined 12-4 in conference play. A&M is going after Jimbo, so there could be a 3rd.
Former Saban assistants that were coaches in the conference this year - Smart, Muschamp and McElwain. Previously you had Dooley at Tennessee. A ton of assistants, too. And I'm betting Jeremy Pruitt ends up at MISS St and possibly Jimbo in TAM. Then you have the issue of conference recycling - Ed O, Dan Mullen, Spurrier, Houston Nutt, etc, etc. Seems like a lot of the same guys floating around. I half expect to see that dope Kiffin come back.

Former Saban assistants that were coaches in the conference this year - Smart, Muschamp and McElwain. Previously you had Dooley at Tennessee. A ton of assistants, too. And I'm betting Jeremy Pruitt ends up at MISS St and possibly Jimbo in TAM. Then you have the issue of conference recycling - Ed O, Dan Mullen, Spurrier, Houston Nutt, etc, etc. Seems like a lot of the same guys floating around. I half expect to see that dope Kiffin come back.

Well, you did say "now." I don't disagree that there is a lot of recycling. However, Bret Bielema went to 3 Rose Bowls and he bombed in the SEC. Butch Jones had no prior experience in the SEC either. It's hard to find the right coach, not matter what criteria a school uses.

(btw, MSU went with PSU's offensive coordinator. He's from Pennsylvania. Not sure if he coached with Franklin at Vandy or not).

Well, you did say "now." I don't disagree that there is a lot of recycling. However, Bret Bielema went to 3 Rose Bowls and he bombed in the SEC. Butch Jones had no prior experience in the SEC either. It's hard to find the right coach, not matter what criteria a school uses.

(btw, MSU went with PSU's offensive coordinator. He's from Pennsylvania. Not sure if he coached with Franklin at Vandy or not).
Damn, MSU already hired a coach! Man, they must've known for months that Mullen was bolting. I guess he's been looking for a way out for years.

I'm still confused why Florida didn't go after Scott Frost.

Reactions: DarkCock
Really, no one refers to actual hatred being displayed towards someone/something as "hating". It's almost exclusively used colloquially these days.
So therefore you need to find a way of expressing actual hatred, which does exist and for which I'm not hearing revisionist terminology..

Damn, MSU already hired a coach! Man, they must've known for months that Mullen was bolting. I guess he's been looking for a way out for years.

I'm still confused why Florida didn't go after Scott Frost.

I think Frost was headed to Nebraska for about a year or so, don't really know that. But, UF did ask for permission to talk with Frost. In other words Frost turned UF down, Frost played at Nebraska.

Last edited:
Even barring the Jerry Sandusky scandal, to which there was no proof whatsoever Schiano was even remotely involved, I just don't think Schiano was a good fit for Knoxville, he is a New Jersey boy.
Ain’t chip Kelly a New Hampshire boy? Pay and they will stay

Early in his tirade he included South Carolina as one of the SEC 'settlers'. That's not completely true imo, but Cowherd is not alone in that opinion. Since the Florida win and right up to the kickoff of the Clemson game, many in the media have praised great job Muschamp has done at Carolina and they've commented on his selection being 'unpopular in Columbia'.

There was a 'good bit' of sentiment in Gamecock Nation for Kirby Smart but, otherwise, I don't recall a groundswell of resentment re: Boom's hire. Most Smart (SC) fans were cognizant of Georgia getting him if they wanted him, anyway.

Maybe if SOS had finished out his last season on a high note anf left with dignity we MAY have done better, but we don't KNOW that.

So therefore you need to find a way of expressing actual hatred, which does exist and for which I'm not hearing revisionist terminology..

There are plenty of ways to express actual hatred of something. For example, just using the base term "hate" would be a great way to express that you have hatred for something. "Hating", however, is colloquial in its usage.

Early in his tirade he included South Carolina as one of the SEC 'settlers'. That's not completely true imo, but Cowherd is not alone in that opinion. Since the Florida win and right up to the kickoff of the Clemson game, many in the media have praised great job Muschamp has done at Carolina and they've commented on his selection being 'unpopular in Columbia'.

There was a 'good bit' of sentiment in Gamecock Nation for Kirby Smart but, otherwise, I don't recall a groundswell of resentment re: Boom's hire. Most Smart (SC) fans were cognizant of Georgia getting him if they wanted him, anyway.

Maybe if SOS had finished out his last season on a high note anf left with dignity we MAY have done better, but we don't KNOW that.
Champ was after Herman and Fuentes if you recall.

What a joke. The SEC is the king of college football and always will be. That guy is not very smart. The SEC is the toughest conference with the best fans in America. Only a tater or some other A-She-She fan would say anything else.
Man your blind belief is admirable but have you noticed what's happening in the SEC? 50% of the schools will have new coaches in 2018, only 3 schools will field a team with a coach that has been employed by same school longer than 2yrs!!

Bama will be Bama as long as Saban is there! Gus needs another year to prove some doubters wrong and Vandy will never be elite or playoff contender. So there are your 3 stable teams.

Middle ground teams: You have Kirby playing with Richt players (yes he is recruiting well) but I am not 100% sold, he has to get passed the Richt team but obviously there is high probability.

Last is Champ, he came in with a limited team and is showing huge promise. You must admit he has some growth to show his value.

That said, no way you can believe that the SEC is fielding the best product across the board. No one will ever question tradition and fanbases but product is lacking as a whole and it isn't half as good as it once was 10yrs ago. But the SEC has the means just not the coaches but more specifically the stability.

Yeah, the SEC sux. They only have 2 of the 4 spots in the playoffs.

When Saban retires, if Bama slides, then LSU or ATM or some other SEC program will get a shot.

I don't recall Fuentes, but Herman, yes, I do recall the Houston coach and also hoping we'd find someone else. The man wanted an easy 'cushy' recruiting ground and, buddy, that describes Texass!
True. Fuente let it be known pretty quickly that he didn't want to coach in the SEC.

The SEC is going to win the national championship this year. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Cowhard.

Yet for the last two years all drs teams have been in a flux over hiring hc. Everyone in this board was pissed because muschamp was. The fifth or six coach and about running out of applicants. Some grabbed coaches right up a
D some waited months and that didn’t work well for them

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT