ADVERTISEMENT

Per this writer, USC is not a good football team. Link attached.

SC is 5-2 but an average team , imo, pretty good after the dumpster fire Muschamp inherited.
now win 3 of the remaining games 5 games ( which is definitely a possibility) and SC becomes a good team
Regardless of how the season finishes Muschamp deserves SEC recognition in moving the program in the right direction

Kind of hard to argue with that. IMO, SC is not a bad football team either. We are an average team that has overachieved so far this year. I hope we continue to overachieve this year.

I think some of his claims of "mediocre" and "not a good team" are largely just hyperbole intended to make his point: Butch Jones needs to go. True, South Carolina isn't Alabama. We aren't a great team. We probably aren't a Top 15-20 team, either. But I'm not concerned about the UT beat writer's assessment of South Carolina football. His article isn't an indictment of us, its an indictment of the Vols. By poor-mouthing us, he makes a stronger argument.

Last edited:
Not many fan bases are as honest about the state of their team as we are. I do agree that even at 7-0 I would’t claim the Gamecocks to be world beaters. But I do think we have some real good players and the makings of a good team is beginning to emerge. I just want a nasty defense and eventually a tough chain moving offense that can occasionally go over the top and hit a big play. I really hope this coaching staff succeeds because we need a staff in place long term to get where we all want to be in the future.

We are an incredibly well-coached team that plays above the talent level we have. When our recruiting gets even better players in, we will actually be a good, perennial top 15 or so team.

For right now, we are an average to above-average team playing well beyond our talent level due to superb coaching, particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

I think some his claims of "mediocre" and "not a good team" are largely just hyperbole intended to make his point: Butch Jones needs to go. True, South Carolina isn't Alabama. We aren't a great team. We probably aren't a Top 15-20 team, either. But I'm not concerned about the UT beat writer's assessment of South Carolina football. His article isn't an indictment of us, its an indictment of the Vols. By poor-mouthing us, he makes a stronger argument.
I would agree. He has an agenda. People with an agenda will exaggerate if not prevaricate.

We are an incredibly well-coached team that plays above the talent level we have. When our recruiting gets even better players in, we will actually be a good, perennial top 15 or so team.

For right now, we are an average to above-average team playing well beyond our talent level due to superb coaching, particularly on the defensive side of the ball.
Almost entirely on the defensive side of the ball.

SC is 5-2 but an average team , imo, pretty good after the dumpster fire Muschamp inherited.
now win 3 of the remaining games 5 games ( which is definitely a possibility) and SC becomes a good team
Regardless of how the season finishes Muschamp deserves SEC recognition in moving the program in the right direction

I think Boom and Co. are doing a fine job given what they inherited.

Reactions: pettyw
Man that cake looks great ..all that chocolate and icing......but damn, it taste bad..
.......what a joke

We are not as good as we want to be but better than Tennessee.

2 victories in a row against them including 1 over the best team they had since the Phillip Fulmer Era that was selected the favorite to win the East Division.

Our team is improving in spite of injuries and their's is getting worse.

They will fire their coach after the Alabama game and ours will be up for Coach of the Year honors.

Hey we're not world beaters but at this stage 5-2 ain't to shabby. I'm not going to lie there are times I have to stand up and walk around to keep consious but at this point a win is a win with no style points existing in many of them. I think 8-4 is doable and I also think UGA could embarrass us between the hedges and Clemsux should beat us. That being said improvement is taking place especially on defense. Offense is a major work in progress and we're winning most games in spite of it. I think most are happy with where the football team is at the moment.

I would agree. He has an agenda. People with an agenda will exaggerate if not prevaricate.
True dat. Welcome to the modern media world. But come to think of it, that's actually a fairly old school tactic when it comes to written media.

We are mediocre. They could have beaten us. Could have last year too. They have more high * players than us. But they couldn't put it together. We are better in spots and our defense is already better than theirs. When a coach is 6-0 against your team, it's not a fluke. I thought we were better than UK and should have won that game, but we didn't. Four straight is not a fluke.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I think some of his claims of "mediocre" and "not a good team" are largely just hyperbole intended to make his point: Butch Jones needs to go. True, South Carolina isn't Alabama. We aren't a great team. We probably aren't a Top 15-20 team, either. But I'm not concerned about the UT beat writer's assessment of South Carolina football. His article isn't an indictment of us, its an indictment of the Vols. By poor-mouthing us, he makes a stronger argument.
Excellent post

Counting votes we are 30-35 in the polls. At the moment, I think that's a pretty fair assessment. Considering we were 3-9 two years ago, that's great progress.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Not many fan bases are as honest about the state of their team as we are. I do agree that even at 7-0 I would’t claim the Gamecocks to be world beaters. But I do think we have some real good players and the makings of a good team is beginning to emerge. I just want a nasty defense and eventually a tough chain moving offense that can occasionally go over the top and hit a big play. I really hope this coaching staff succeeds because we need a staff in place long term to get where we all want to be in the future.
i agree, however think about, Take away an Idiot idea of a "Blackout" and a few missed Field Goals, and not blowing a double Digit lead in College Station, this Below average team, COULD BE 7-0.. Just saying!!

Last edited:
I think our offense is well-coached, too. We don't commit many false-starts, Offensive PI's, etc. Our line is coached well. We just run a scheme that is beyond poor.
You beat me to it. I'm incredibly pleased with our ball protection and people underestimate how our conservative/protective approach may actually be why we have won 5 ballgame. 3 and outs are incredibly frustrating but they would be the same people screaming if we were throwing pick 6's.

I think our offense is well-coached, too. We don't commit many false-starts, Offensive PI's, etc. Our line is coached well. We just run a scheme that is beyond poor.
And who is responsible for the scheme we run and the play calling, the players?

i agree, however think about, Take away an Idiot idea of a "Blackout" and a few missed Field Goals, and not blowing a double Digit lead in College Station, this Below average team, COULD BE 7-0.. Just saying!!
The blackout had nothing to do with our losing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT