ADVERTISEMENT

Perry Orth with some good insight this morning

Weight training and practicing are 2 totally different things and have nothing to do with each other. Practicing is running drills, scrimmaging, and hitting, not lifting weights. Lifting weights tears down the muscle tissue for each muscle group being worked. The theory behind resting a day in between is to allow those muscle tissues to recover and rebuild. When they do, they rebuild larger and stronger. Practicing is mostly conditioning and developing various football skills and technique. Totally different things.
We're not talking about taking breaks between practices. We're clearly talking about playing a full game and having a full pads practice less than 12 hours later. You don't think the body needs time to recover between playing a full game and the next full pads practice? You can't be that daft.

Doesn’t he know Sunday is for going to NewSpring to get recharged emotionally, spiritually, finan.. Uh never mind, keep running your guys into the ground Muschamp.
Seriously. As a father with a kid that may play college ball, I’m not sure I can see the benefit of pads and helmets on Sunday until you get to the League.

Reactions: Garnetskies
It's not just about recovering so you're fresh for the next game, you need to be fresh in practice because you play the way you practice. If you're half a**ing it in practice you're going to play that way in games. If you're jogging and limping through drills because you're legs are jello, you're not going to play fast. Playing in games is so heavily weighted to muscle memory, you have to teach your body to react fast. Every practice rep you do at 50%, you have to work that much harder to overcome the deficit you've put yourself in with crappy reps.

You really think the game evolved to less contact throughout the week to avoid injuries? Or because these self absorbed millennials are a bunch of pansies? Or because coaches started coddling players to help their fragile egos? (ok those might play some part) But aint no data to support it helps avoid injuries! It's because the teams that were winning took recovery seriously so they could practice at full speed. Then they started beating the piss out of everyone, and those assistant coaches got new gigs and promotions and it spread. These players talk to guys on other teams, and we're practicing more quantity with less quality and looking like crap late in the season, and the players know it and hate watching app state d ends turn our tackles into turnstyles late in the 4th quarter.

If you feel good enough to go full speed through practice a day after the game, you played baby wipe soft. Therefore, you should never have a full go practice the day after the game. On the day after, go spend three hours in the film room while the plays are fresh in your mind. Then go get in the training room for 2 hours. Opponent film and walk through monday, heavy install tuesday, high intensity practice wednesday, 3rd down, 2 minute, special teams, etc thursday, film and communication heavy friday. Friday night you don't spend time with anyone other than your teammates after 8pm. And you're proactively in the training room every day for at least 30 min.

"All gas no breaks", these guys forgot you have to change the oil and hit the pit crew or your dashboard lights up like a christmas tree and grandma's passing you in her gd prius giving you the middle finger like a fing gangster.

All NFL teams play on Sunday’s and then have meetings on Monday’s with their normal day off on Tuesday’s. They don’t even practice until Wednesday—you are talking about 2 days off after a Sunday game. Our guys? No day off. Not even 12 hours off after a late game. Nice work Muschamp.

That's great... but did you go out less than twelve hours after a game in full pads and hit for 2/3 hours? There has to be some common sense used, but given who we have coaching right now, it seems to lack. Might be why we are getting lapped by everyone not named Vandy/Ark in the SEC right now. I'm all for teaching fundamentals and "coaching them up" but there is a correlation to the injuries and practices.

But, ya know, there are a lot of little things also. Like Scarnecchia not getting a single snap against Akron or UVa. Bentley was not performing against UNC. It wouldn't have hurt to sit Jake for a series and see if Hilinski could rally the troops. There doesn't ever seem to be any halftime adjustments, offensively or defensively. And our fundamentals, tackling in particular, appear totally neglected.

Last edited:
OP Clemson practices on Saturday’s. At least 70-80 of them do.

Would be nice if Feaster wrote a book on the differences between the two programs. As much as he can remember. Would probably be a best seller and a revelation to us.

I literally told one of my friends that, I can almost bet after his college career is over Feaster will come out and say the difference in the 2 programs in some interview. He obviously isn't going to say it now, but you know he can clearly see and feel the difference in coaching, atmosphere, environment....etc.

I get the practice punishment for poor effort. That's when you make them run until they puke. Making the team practice on Sunday shows that Muschamp has no sense or feel for his team like great coaches. That's why he doesn't win consistently. He knows Xs and Os as well as anyone, and he gets along with players personally. (At least some of them.) But he doesn't have a feel for motivation. To use a golf analogy, he has no touch around the greens.

We're not talking about taking breaks between practices. We're clearly talking about playing a full game and having a full pads practice less than 12 hours later. You don't think the body needs time to recover between playing a full game and the next full pads practice? You can't be that daft.
Personally I wouldn't do it. I'd give them a break on Sunday and watch film and chew ass Sunday evening and start practice on Monday. But, you were conflating practice and weight lifting and they are not the same thing and the 2 should not be conflated. Practice is just that - PRACTICE. It's mostly conditioning and honing fundamentals and techniques and repetitions of what you do in games. Basketball players practice and shoot every day - even on game day. Every other sport is the same thing. You practice to perfect your game. You weight lift to build muscle and strength. When you are ignorant on the subject, it's probably not prudent to call someone else daft. I played football for 13 years and was a body builder after that for a number of years. I do have some knowledge on the subject.

Reactions: JAYBURGER 11
This is just an excuse. These kids are not overworked. If anything they are pampered. They are limited in the number of practices they can have and the number of hours they can spend on football. They don't even have two-a-day practices in summer camp. Back in the day, we didn't have two-a-day practices either - we had 3-a-day practices. Even after school started we had 2-a-days until the first game. Practice time was not limited either. We practiced for 3 hours at a time for most practices.
Lol these pansy ass kids nowadays(and i,m referring to the fans,like some of the above who don,t take into account just how little the players actually practice nowadays...have you seen our team tackle?...catch the ball?...while i don,t advocate practicing on Sunday EVER,i do definately think PRACTICE is EXACTLY what we need!! I,m not sure that WHAT we are practicing is correct though,...but please please all you snowflake fans,QUIT babying our players ,can you not see how SOFT we are??? My goodness,these kids are scholarship athletes.....when you see a gatorade commercial showing kids working out and sweating on their own time,are you offended because they are WORKING!! Of course not,they are putting in WORK to reach their potential...wake up people,you guys are probably supporters of participation trophies...

From what I've seen, it's the offensive coaching staff who needs to run stadium sprints after the games. Run 'em til they puke.

Everyone is getting worked up about a quote from a former player that he heard about the practices, and it's not clear if they are talking about starters or backups practicing on Sundays (if backups, that could be a great opportunity for them). This stuff takes on a life of its own and we don't even know whether it's true. Deep breaths, everyone. It's a little hard to believe that our o-line and d-line guys who played on Saturday are getting up on Sundays and smashing into each other in practice. Enough with the rumors. We got enough problems.

Reactions: Expro19
I don’t know what’s happening at practice but recovery is probably even more important than the work you put in.

Reactions: Jpcooper
Everyone is getting worked up about a quote from a former player that he heard about the practices, and it's not clear if they are talking about starters or backups practicing on Sundays (if backups, that could be a great opportunity for them). This stuff takes on a life of its own and we don't even know whether it's true. Deep breaths, everyone. It's a little hard to believe that our o-line and d-line guys who played on Saturday are getting up on Sundays and smashing into each other in practice. Enough with the rumors. We got enough problems.
Obviously he went through it, he was here under Champ in 16 so I think he knows what is going on boss.

Is it a rumor when you hear the words directly from a former player? He shares what other players said, etc. A rumor is something we say we heard about from someone who heard about it that has no real inside knowledge. This is from players who played under Muschamp so I would not take it as rumor.

You heard it directly from a player? Or you read it on the Internet? What I saw was a quote attributed to him saying what a player told him was going on. Some commenters on that board questioned details of the story. Another commenter noted that subs practice. Doesn't it seem a little odd that a coach that limited bowl practices is running tackling drills with spent players on a Sunday? Maybe there are some cadence drills, etc. and other non contact stuff you can walk through in formation without exertion or contact. Maybe that's what they are doing. But full on contact drills day after a game? I don't buy it just because someone said someone said something and it ended up on the Internet.

It doesn't look like they are doing much "smashing" on Saturday night so they should be fresh and ready to go on Sunday..

You heard it directly from a player? Or you read it on the Internet? What I saw was a quote attributed to him saying what a player told him was going on. Some commenters on that board questioned details of the story. Another commenter noted that subs practice. Doesn't it seem a little odd that a coach that limited bowl practices is running tackling drills with spent players on a Sunday? Maybe there are some cadence drills, etc. and other non contact stuff you can walk through in formation without exertion or contact. Maybe that's what they are doing. But full on contact drills day after a game? I don't buy it just because someone said someone said something and it ended up on the Internet.
If you hear Perry Orth saying it on air on the radio live then I would say yes, heard it from a player directly. Look now, I am not saying I know what is going on but based on how Perry orth stated it, it sounds legit and concerning to him that it really is going on. if this is in fact the case, then that is an issue. If not, then why would it be said, because Perry has very good reputation and not someone just going out there causing issues. Regardless of any of it, I dont personally see the value of having players line up and go through things less than 12 hours after a game. If the player said the game ended at 11:00pm, then take into consideration them having post game talk from coach, changing, getting out of stadium and back where they live and it is a sure bet getting back by 1:00am is a safe estimate. Then to get up and be back out there fully geared up by 10:00 next morning as "punishment" as it sounds, then that in no way motivates a player. It brings about dread. Think about all that goes into a game for these guys with pregame walk throughs, getting to stadium and warming up, playing, etc. It is not just the physical part that is taxing but the emotions of playing and dealing with ups and downs of game. They need a bit if a break to "decompress" as they say.

" Practice...... We talking bout practice..... Practice." C'mon man.

THis is how things get confused because I read it was Mason Zandi who made that claim. Look, we're not in real disagreement that, if they're running the Oklahoma Drill on Sunday morning with starters, that's a problem. I just don't buy it. It seems like the players are fully behind Muschamp. Don't think that would be the case if there was abuse going on. But the "word" that gets out is always negative. Spurrier was known for holding back on contact in practice and folks on the board said that was the cause of injuries during the game. Muschamp gets accused of having too much contact in practice and people say that is what is causing injuries during the game. IN the end, the fans don't know what is going on in practice. https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...uth-carolina-coaches-are-overworking-players/

I think it depends on what they do at these practices. These are, or should be, conditioned athletes. They aren’t snowflakes. When I played, we were rewarded based on output, we were also held accountable for bad output. If we had bad results, we practiced more - sometimes just walk throughs of what we did wrong. We conditioned too - especially for mental errors. Our team has a lot of mental errors.

I am way beyond my playing years, but my grandson, who is 10, practices 2.5 hours at least 4 days a week, sometimes an extra hour on a 5th day for walk throughs. They play on the sixth day. Have the 7th day off. He is 10! I think that is crazy for a 10 year old, but pretty common once one play higher level school sports.

My son played middle school football in Texas. 3:30-7:30 daily practice except game day and Sundays. Saturday’s were an off day too unless that was the game day. And the kicker, no homework during football season because kids had to practice - no time for home work. I was amazed at that, but that was literally a school policy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT