ADVERTISEMENT

PGA one 59 already today and D. Johnson -11 thru 14

I must’ve jinxed him.
Nah. He was -11 thru 11 and finished -11. I posted after 15.
Still a 60 though but he had a par 5 18th and laid up from 212 yards.

He's a great player, and ultra-talented. He's not driven.
He's a heck of a player. I think he's won a tournament in 13 straight years and well over 20 wins in his career. It might be a bit harsh to say he's not driven.

He's had a bit of a hard time closing out majors a few times, but the stiff competition has had a lot to do with it. I think people expect a little too much out of him sometimes. Just my opinion.

I get why 59 is a magic number...but i always feel a bigger deal is made of it than it should be when it’s a par 70 or 71. To me a true “59” is -13. 13 under in Par 71 is 58. But yes, it’s still a 59.
Just means there are less par fives which means it is every bit as tough without the easier to birdie par fives. Sounds like it is easier to shoot 59 on a par seventy, but in reality it is not. Your other point is correct no doubt. A 59 is a 59 all day long. They put an asterisk beside Roger Maris’ name because he played more games in 1961 than Ruth did in 1927. Truth is from the first HR to the last HR by Maris in 1961 was accomplished in less games than Ruth’s record in 27.

Reactions: uscedge21
He's a heck of a player. I think he's won a tournament in 13 straight years and well over 20 wins in his career. It might be a bit harsh to say he's not driven.

He's had a bit of a hard time closing out majors a few times, but the stiff competition has had a lot to do with it. I think people expect a little too much out of him sometimes. Just my opinion.
And your perspective might be the correct one. Perhaps I have been incorrect in my assessment of his talent. Perchance I have overestimated it. I consider him a prodigious talent, comparable to Tiger in that regard, inferior only in certain short game aspects but a much better driver of the ball than Tiger. He possesses a better body than Tiger. Maybe my assessment of his talent causes me to believe that a driven man with that much talent would have by now amassed significantly more titles than he has, including majors.

Last edited:
In all fairness, DJ tends to find more reasons to disappoint than exceed. That’s his MO.
Wow. Unfair assessment. He's won the US Open (one major) and will win more. Amazing. It's like saying a major league baseball player has underachieved and failing to give credit for making it to the major leagues if he doesn't achieve greatness. After all, making it to the majors is crazy impressive and probably only happens for .01% of all baseball players. 64 consecutive weeks as #1 ranked golfer--very impressive. Point of bias: I live in Irmo area and have family connections to Coastal Carolina too. So, I am a big DJ fan. He will win more majors. Just has to break through again.

Reactions: Dutch Cock
I would respectfully disagree. He has been number 1 in the world for 92 weeks and climbing. That is the 5th highest in history. I find it strange that Phil Mickelson has never been ranked number 1....
My opinion as to his intensity and ambition will have to be changed by higher-volume winning performance in premier events. I have stated my opinion of his talent, which is immense. Too bad he took that fall on the eve of the Masters a few years back. He was poised to win it. And lest anyone doubt my motives, I pull for him every time he tees it up. I'd love to see him win everything that matters. And I'd love to see him win the FedEx Cup, which he is positioning himself to do.

Reactions: Dutch Cock
I don't know that anyone can opine that he is not driven because only DJ knows his inner state. But we can see that he stays in shape, he's recovered from addiction issues and has maintained his spot as the #1 player for quite some time. The knock on him is that he has choked a few majors away, has not won the Masters and the British Open and occasionally just disappears in the pack. I don't think that is because he is not driven. I think it is more likely because he has not yet learned to manage his emotions at critical times and stay focused.

He’s definitely putting better. Which is the main thing that’s held him back in some major events in which he was in contention.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
He didn’t really get it together till he got his wedge game top notch a few years ago.i think he even said that was holding him back.but he has had his fair share of bad luck.i think he would’ve won the masters if he didn’t “fall down the stairs “ and hurt his back.he hasn’t been the same since really.he was on fire till that point.

Reactions: king ward
I don't know that anyone can opine that he is not driven because only DJ knows his inner state. But we can see that he stays in shape, he's recovered from addiction issues and has maintained his spot as the #1 player for quite some time. The knock on him is that he has choked a few majors away, has not won the Masters and the British Open and occasionally just disappears in the pack. I don't think that is because he is not driven. I think it is more likely because he has not yet learned to manage his emotions at critical times and stay focused.
But some people suggest he is unflappable. He looks unflappable, almost phlegmatic. He's 36. He'd better get it managed, whatever it is, if he is going to maximize the time he has left. He should win all four of the majors.

Last edited:
-29 overall so far.
-31 is the PGA record.
Wish I could do that!
Other-wordly. Tough break having to go in due to this storm cell with his ball in the rough on 17. I'd hate for my first shot after resumption to be the one he's facing. Hope they finish this evening.

Reactions: Judson1
My opinion as to his intensity and ambition will have to be changed by higher-volume winning performance in premier events. I have stated my opinion of his talent, which is immense. Too bad he took that fall on the eve of the Masters a few years back. He was poised to win it. And lest anyone doubt my motives, I pull for him every time he tees it up. I'd love to see him win everything that matters. And I'd love to see him win the FedEx Cup, which he is positioning himself to do.

Rumors are that it wasn't merely a fall.

Other-wordly. Tough break having to go in due to this storm cell with his ball in the rough on 17. I'd hate for my first shot after resumption to be the one he's facing. Hope they finish this evening.
Turned out it wasn't a bad lie. That drive he hit on 18 in the rain was a thing of beauty. He was 10 yards past Harris English and Harris can hit the long ball too. He misjudged the rain a little on his approach and left it short but still made the birdie. All in all it was a great display of golfing power.

Reactions: king ward
The enormous amount of money players make today, I think, holds some of them back. I have heard Dustin Johnson say, "I don't have to win." referring to having made a lot of money already. And he has given credit to Wayne Gretzky recently for helping him understand "You have to try and win every week." I know people who were students at Coastal Carolina with DJ and they say he has some issues ...
I think he intentionally missed a short putt in a U. S. Open some years ago because he was going to make a lot of money finishing second and he didn't want to play the 18 hole playoff on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT