ADVERTISEMENT

PGA Tour / 2021 US Open

FORKCOCK

Gold Member
Feb 11, 2006
Mt. Pleasant
I've been watching the US Open. To me, it has been some pretty boring golf.
Once Tiger and Phil are gone, I believe it will be like the old days with just a bunch of mindless robots trying to get a top 10 paycheck.

Once Tiger and Phil are gone, I believe it will be like the old days with just a bunch of mindless robots trying to get a top 10 paycheck.
I don't agree. It's going to be a lot of fun watching Brooks and Bryson today and tomorrow.

Enjoyed watching the Justin Thomas, Morikawa pairing yesterday.

Everyone is bunched around even par. Should be a fun weekend.

Always enjoy the US Open because of the emphasis on making par. I think this is where we see who can make shots. I rate the Masters and the British Open as my top 3.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Just wish USC produced more PGA players. Embarrassing when you see how important golf is in SC and we have to see UGA, Clemson, Auburn, Bama and UF players on the leader board all the time.

I love high-level golf whoever is playing it. But golf at the professional level, as with other sports, resonates to a greater extent with the public when there are transcendent stars. Those were people like Arnold, Jack, and Tiger. Phil also qualifies. But Phil isn't going to win this tournament and Tiger is on the shelf when he might have been playing. It looses some luster without the dominant stars there and in contention.

Mackenzie hughes repping the garnet and black! Don’t see that color combination on tour very often!

Last edited:
Good ole days were fun. When Tiger came on the scene, the telecast only focused on him. Now, that’s all they know how to do…find one or two guys and show their entire round with some highlights sprinkled in. Plenty of golf happening they aren’t showing…so I do agree it’s boring.

Good ole days were fun. When Tiger came on the scene, the telecast only focused on him. Now, that’s all they know how to do…find one or two guys and show their entire round with some highlights sprinkled in. Plenty of golf happening they aren’t showing…so I do agree it’s boring.
Disagree, it’s the same as before they just don’t have every shot of tiger’s to show whether he’s in the tournament or 10 shots back! I thought they did a pretty good job covering all the guys in and around the lead yesterday and it was on all day, so they showed a bunch of different players, you either find it interesting or not!

Last edited:
I don't see anyone who can step up as a dominant star golfer right now. I also don't see anyone with the heart or personality of a Nicklaus, Palmer, Player or even Tiger Woods. These guys just take turns being in the spotlight. Many of them are only interested in themselves which makes it hard to root for them.

My favorites in the game right now are mostly European guys like Shane Lowry and Paul Casey. Of the Americans I like Jordan and DJ. Most of the rest I simply can't stand and don't root for them. I'm starting to come around to Bryson.

By the way, did Johnny Miller step aside as an announcer due to his health? They interviewed him by Zoom yesterday and I got the impression he was a bit frail.

Seeing JT almost fall in the sandtrap and then use his wedge as a fishing rod to reel his ball back was great. Many of these other guys are just zombies.
JT is another American I am warming up to. I thought he handled his faux pas (language caught on camera) really well. It showed he has some humility and is willing to learn about more than golf.

JT is another American I am warming up to. I thought he handled his faux pas (language caught on camera) really well. It showed he has some humility and is willing to learn about more than golf.
[/QUOTE]

Yea, never have been a fan of JT but I have come around. For whatever reason, I always find myself pulling for Bryson and against Kopeka. Don't like DJ because of his past but find myself not pulling against Patrick Reed. I know I'm probably the only one. I feel there is more to his story / upbringing than we know. I feel bad for him.

Most guys now can overpower a course. Phil is one of a hand full who can pull off shots with lots of imagination. I think Tiger brought in the popularity of Power golf. He was charismatic and brought new fans. He was good for golf. Equipment , training and athletes have gotten better, most par 5's are a birdie, many par 4;s are driveable, What is needed in golf is a two or three person rivalry like Palmer, Nicklaus and Player. Phil and Tiger would have been great but Phil wasn't on the same level as Tiger. I watch the majors, especially the Opens where the courses are set up to be more difficult.

I don't see anyone who can step up as a dominant star golfer right now. I also don't see anyone with the heart or personality of a Nicklaus, Palmer, Player or even Tiger Woods. These guys just take turns being in the spotlight. Many of them are only interested in themselves which makes it hard to root for them.

My favorites in the game right now are mostly European guys like Shane Lowry and Paul Casey. Of the Americans I like Jordan and DJ. Most of the rest I simply can't stand and don't root for them. I'm starting to come around to Bryson.

By the way, did Johnny Miller step aside as an announcer due to his health? They interviewed him by Zoom yesterday and I got the impression he was a bit frail.
I was not aware of any ailment with Miller. I think he just had enough. To your point about the players, these are fine players. They are not generational players. Too many makable putts being missed. Nicklaus and Woods willed the ball into the hole time and time again on the weekends during the majors.

Well, Louie's driver inexplicably took care of that. Congratulations to Jon Rahm.
Louie O. is a very good golfer, but not great. A great player would have never hit those errant tee shots coming home. (Especially 17) Jon Rahm might be the best in the world. At least for this week.

Rory, Bryson, Brooks and DJ all fell apart.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Louie O. is a very good golfer, but not great. A great player would have never hit those errant tee shots coming home. (Especially 17) Jon Rahm might be the best in the world. At least for this week.

Well, as of yesterday, he is World #1. Johnson relinquished it with his very indifferent play since winning the November Masters.

I loved the comment “why would he hit it left,he has all the way to the hotel on the right “.It was close to that anyways on Louis shot he hit on the 17th.

Tiger hit errant tee shots all the time. Even down the stretch. Was he great?

Tiger hit errant tee shots all the time. Even down the stretch. Was he great?
Rhetorical question. Of course he is great. He also has 15 majors to Louie's one major.

You can't hit it out bounds on the same hole your opponent just birdied to take a one-shot lead. That's just poor course management.

But to be sure, Louie didn't lose this championship so much as Jon Rahm took it from him.

Reactions: roosterbell
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT