ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Longo to North Carolina

Doesn't hurt us. They don't have the players to compete when we play them next year. They will be a pain in the side of Clemson College, though.
Doesn't hurt us. They don't have the players to compete when we play them next year. They will be a pain in the side of Clemson College, though.
That’s a good staff to compete with recruits over.

There are many younger folks on this board who, even if they have some recollection of Brown at Texas, don't remember how dynamic he was at North Carolina once he got rolling. They might have their eyes opened for them. I'd venture to say he is as persuasive a man as ever ran any program.

There are many younger folks on this board who, even if they have some recollection of Brown at Texas, don't remember how dynamic he was at North Carolina once he got rolling. They might have their eyes opened for them. I'd venture to say he is as persuasive a man as ever ran any program.

He won 10 games 3x at UNC and never won the ACC. He took over a wreck at UNC way worse than muschamp did here. He only won 1 game in his first and 2nd season.

He won 10 games 3x at UNC and never won the ACC. He took over a wreck at UNC way worse than muschamp did here. He only won 1 game in his first and 2nd season.
He left because he was getting good enough to compete for the national title, which was awarded then, but couldn't see them ever getting enough votes - especially because of their identity as a basketball school. He knew he had a better shot at Texas due to their prestige, and sure enough, he won one during the BCS era. Now, in the playoff era, with only one great team in the ACC, he knows he could reach the playoffs. It's a different ballgame now.

Hopefully in a few years the Holes can give Clemson some competition like the last time Mack was in CH, I believe he beat them 45-0 in 96 or 97. FSU was the team he could not seem to get past back then.

Reactions: Brace1

Brown is a silver tongue devil. He turned the UNC program around in a heart beat. The holes when from nobody's to a power house right before Brown left for Texas.

Reactions: Brace1 and jonesz21
Mack is off to a good start recruiting, already flipped 3-4 guys to UNC, he's now working on a couple of the NCSU 4* DT's. UNC has sucked in-state recently, hopefully Mack can get back to 80% of his team being from the State of NC.

Reactions: king ward

Mack Brown is a master at recruiting. Muschamp is good at it because of what Brown taught him. Sally Brown had a multi-million dollar realtor outfit. She knows how to sell and convinced Mack of the techniques and effort that other coaches are just now catching up to. He can't coach, that is why he needs top coordinators. His teams won't ever be tough, as he isn't. But their average star ranking will be outstanding.

Reactions: king ward
Mack Brown is a master at recruiting. Muschamp is good at it because of what Brown taught him. Sally Brown had a multi-million dollar realtor outfit. She knows how to sell and convinced Mack of the techniques and effort that other coaches are just now catching up to. He can't coach, that is why he needs top coordinators. His teams won't ever be tough, as he isn't. But their average star ranking will be outstanding.
I agree, his recruiting and personal motivation far outweigh his x's and o's. I always thought he was a meatball on the sideline, in the tradition of a Ray Goff. In fact, he might be the worst football coach ever to win the national title. But what he is good at, he's super at it.

I agree, his recruiting and personal motivation far outweigh his x's and o's. I always thought he was a meatball on the sideline, in the tradition of a Ray Goff. In fact, he might be the worst football coach ever to win the national title. But what he is good at, he's super at it.

I would designate Les Miles as the worst. Mack is just a CEO style coach. He makes sure everything runs properly, but doesn't dirty his own hands. At best, Les Miles has just been fortunate to have good coordinators. I don't know what he brings that couldn't be replaced by a large bag of potatoes. Mack is good at what he does, it is more administration and exhortation than coaching. I don't think you can say Mack is bad at coaching, as he doesn't personally do any, he just makes sure others do it. Am I a bad scrabble player if I have never played? I am not bad at scrabble, I just don't play it. But if I have 12 excellent professional scrabble players on retainer as my assistants, you aren't going to beat me.

I would designate Les Miles as the worst. Mack is just a CEO style coach. He makes sure everything runs properly, but doesn't dirty his own hands. At best, Les Miles has just been fortunate to have good coordinators. I don't know what he brings that couldn't be replaced by a large bag of potatoes. Mack is good at what he does, it is more administration and exhortation than coaching.
"Less" deserves honorable mention at least.

I would take Les Miles and Mack Brown over Gene Chizik LOL, Chizik is a much worse national championship winning head coach,

Last edited:
Hmmm hiring a guy who’s not great at X’s and O’s, but is a total CEO and schmoozer, and hires (and helps them get insane salaries) absolute top of the line assistants/recruiting experts. Hiring a guy who is a supposed X’s and O’s master but hires coaches to learn a P5 job by OJT like this is the US military. It all sounds familiar, and I think I might know what works better these days

Didn’t hurt having Vince Young either

Chizik is a far better football man than either one of them. He just needs to stick to defense. I wouldn't want Mack or Less coordinating either side of my team.

Mack would say the same thing. He has no interest in being a coordinator. He is a CEO style head coach. Chizik is the polar opposite. He isn't a very good head coach, but is a pretty good DC. As he was under Mack Brown.

ADVERTISEMENT