ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Steele: SEC Team That Will Exceed Expectations

chucktowncock

Nov 14, 2001
College football insider Phil Steele believes the Gamecocks are in for an unexpectedly improved season in 2021.

College football insider Phil Steele believes the Gamecocks are in for an unexpectedly improved season in 2021.

I am all for optimism, but I think it is too much to say Shane Beamer is an up and coming head coach. He hasn't coached a game in his career. I have high hopes but low expectations.

I am all for optimism, but I think it is too much to say Shane Beamer is an up and coming head coach. He hasn't coached a game in his career. I have high hopes but low expectations.

Definitely a reach to say that about Beamer. I’d like to see Steele’s win prediction for the Cocks, saying better than 2 wins is about as arbitrary and as vanilla as it gets.

I mean we better have more than 2 wins, last year was an all SEC schedule. This year is a completely different deal, the non-con games make a huge difference.

He said 4 wins, possibly flirt with a bowl game. So I guess 3 to 7 wins.

Not entirely true- he is 1-0 as a HC with a bowl victory. Just sayin…

I think Gamecock Nation is a devoted group of fans that support their teams no matter what the situation. Phil Steele and rivals.com will continue to market to us because their positive articles will get lots of clicks and views. I also think that is why we are in the top 20 football recruiting cycles most of the time, year end and year out. With all this being said, I hope Phil Steele is correct. GO COCKS

USCALUMNI

I always have tempered expectations, but I believe we are in for something special. Beamer just permeates optimism. I’m a baseball guy and really don’t care much anymore, but I’m ready to go clean this guys bathroom if needed.
Not sure what you mean by "something special," but it's hard to find more than 5 wins on that schedule. I think a 5 win season for SB would be enough to keep the momentum going.

Everything this season rides on two factors…… decent QB play and being able to field a respectable defense. Same for most schools. If we get those two things, 5 or more wins is within reach. If we get only one or none of those things it will not happen. That’s as basic and elementary as it gets.

I believe there are reasons to be hopeful about Luke and Brown being able to play decent at QB. I’m not as hopeful about the defense being able to be respectable (top half of conference). If you were forced to play a money bet on the defense being ranked In even the top 8-9 of the league I believe most would bet under. As for the QB play, it would not surprise me if we get good enough play from that position to be ranked in the top 7-8, especially if a few WR emerge.

Remind me not to invite some of you to my next party. You’re like the person who walks into a room full of people having fun, cuts a huge wet smelly fart, and then leaves. Also, I have a feeling a couple of you are much more concerned with what Saint Dabo is gonna do once he announces he’s quitting college coaching since players are being paid now. :rolleyes:

Remind me not to invite some of you to my next party. You’re like the person who walks into a room full of people having fun, cuts a huge wet smelly fart, and then leaves. Also, I have a feeling a couple of you are much more concerned with what Saint Dabo is gonna do once he announces he’s quitting college coaching since players are being paid now. :rolleyes:
I know exactly who you are talking about.😁

Reactions: JKC4USC
“Happy Birthday? Heh she just had a divorce and her mom is sick, I wouldn’t call this a ‘happy birthday’. Sorry I am a realist”

“South Carolina has a talented backfield on offense and defensive line on defense,”

I wonder what games he watched to come to that conclusion? These guys were undersized and got pushed around by almost every OLine they faced and no one had to be double teamed. The worst thing you can do as a Dlineman is to get turned by the Oline and they got turned a lot with one on one blocking. The line needs serious improvement in size as well as technique.

Reactions: Flameout12
“South Carolina has a talented backfield on offense and defensive line on defense,”

I wonder what games he watched to come to that conclusion? These guys were undersized and got pushed around by almost every OLine they faced and no one had to be double teamed. The worst thing you can do as a Dlineman is to get turned by the Oline and they got turned a lot with one on one blocking. The line needs serious improvement in size as well as technique.
Agreed….which brings up S&C. What was our last guy doing? There have been numerous interviews where players have said their “gains” have been larger than with the previous staff?
5 wins minimum, and I’ll consider it a harbinger of things to come.

Reactions: WingchunCock

Just gotta reevaluate that gap control....
7fcbc723db76974678a7ba4d79979e09-original.jpg

Not sure what you mean by "something special," but it's hard to find more than 5 wins on that schedule. I think a 5 win season for SB would be enough to keep the momentum going.

I mean what he is building, not necessarily just this year. However, beating UGA is always special. 😉

It's coming, but it's still up the track a ways.

A football team that believes in itself can do surprising things against seemingly “superior” teams. My high school coach was Dick Sheridan; he instilled that in us. Tanneyhill as a freshman reeled off the five straight against mostly ranked teams, dang near six straight, because he inspired that team to believe it themselves. I have the sense that Beamer is one of those kind of guys; had that sense when he was here before and was more than a little disappointed to see him go. Let’s see what happens.

Reactions: WingchunCock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT