ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Dozier & Basketball Recruiting

Sep 11, 2005
Will having a high profile, McDonald's All American player like PJ Dozier leave USC early only to not get drafted hurt our recruiting? Does that lower our chances to get someone like Zion Williamson? I did not want to see PJ go early, but hoped once his decision was made that he would get drafted high enough to show that a one or two year player at USC can be a high draft pick just like they can be at Kentucky or Duke. Maybe we don't need those types of players to have success under Frank Martin, but it sure would be exciting to get Zion Williamson, even if for just one year. What do y'all think?

I think you've asked completely unanswerable questions. It is possible that this will affect a recruit's decision, and it's possible it will have no impact at all, and there is no one short of the recruit who can tell you if it's one or the other.

My concern is not what affect it has on USC's recruiting, but the bad Intel received by Dozier and his family. If we don't make our run in the tournament, his decision to go pro is minimized. An additional season would have produced an opportunity to receive millions vs a few thousands. I'm disappointed for Dozier and his family. As for hurting USC recruiting, I don't see it. This serves as a lesson to the players that leave school early to enter the draft.

Will having a high profile, McDonald's All American player like PJ Dozier leave USC early only to not get drafted hurt our recruiting? Does that lower our chances to get someone like Zion Williamson? I did not want to see PJ go early, but hoped once his decision was made that he would get drafted high enough to show that a one or two year player at USC can be a high draft pick just like they can be at Kentucky or Duke. Maybe we don't need those types of players to have success under Frank Martin, but it sure would be exciting to get Zion Williamson, even if for just one year. What do y'all think?

I didn't think about it like that - I hope not. The argument could be made that Sindarius's development under Frank helped make him a second rounder. It would be fun to get Zion, but a one and done player may not help the program as much as a player who develops with us over time.

Many of the one-and-done players at Duke and Kentucky would have been drafted out of high school if NBA rules allowed it. I do not believe Dozier is comparable to most of those players. Unfortunately, it appears Dozier thought his skills were equivalent to theirs.

Go Gamecocks!

SC 95

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT