ADVERTISEMENT

Players Being Encouraged to Seek Opportunities Elsewhere

Gamecawks

Sep 17, 2012
Title says it all. We're getting rid of the players that may have been great guys but weren't up to the task of playing SEC football. No problem with it AT ALL.

This last guy was hurt for most of last year though. Doesn't seem like he's even had time to show his talents.

Originally posted by SC 95:

I agree. It makes me question the prior DC's ability to evaluate talent, particularly character.

SC 95
I fixed it for you.

Originally posted by The Real Ess:
How else are we gonna take 32 recruits a year?
At this point, we should be able to bring in around 42 next year.

Originally posted by sanfordcock:
That means we've been really poor recently at evaluating talent.
This ^ is what's more disconcerting.....

Hopefully this is a results of Hoke looking at a lot of film or some players simply evaluating themselves.

For many of the players leaving it is as much about attitude and teamwork as it is about talent and ability. We are clearing house of the guys who didn't care enough to put in the work needed to be winners at this level. That is not something easy to evaluate when recruiting a kid. Every player trying to get an offer will tell you he is a hard worker with a team first attitude... You won't know if it is a true or not until they get on your team and you evaluate how hard they are working, or how they act around teammates.

This year coach made it clear he flat out DID NOT LIKE a lot of the players on his team and said many just weren't TRYING out there, pointing to a few plays in specific games- like Vandy and KY where kids were loafing around, missing tackles, MISSING BLOCKS... They are no longer with the program all of a sudden, but... Flamers gonna flame! So all our lovely "fans" who turn every move made by this staff into the mostpnegative light possible will call out the coaches for poor talent evaluation or imply the players are leaving because they don't like the coaches.. Or that we are kicking off the talented ones and keeping the less talented (what a load of BS btw..), instead of realizing that coach said this was coming, he told us WHY he was coding and did everything short of naming the kids he was going to force out in his pressers over the course of the year. The saddest thing is that so many of our fans were apparently too stupid to read between the lines and see it coming. SMDH

Don't think it's as one sided as Hoke just cleaning house. Or every kid doesn't like the coaching staff. Probably somewhere in the middle. Will probably have to continue to hit the JUCO route to fill in this gap were creating in our classes. Every transfer comes with a price. Time and effort was spent and will have to be repeated for the guys who fill their spots. I hope their master plan works because recruiting is naturally going to get worse until SOS retires. It's no ones fault but a price we have to pay to have had a hall of game coach who just happens to be 70. I just don't want to slide back to the point where you can no longer even see where the 33-6 came from. That's my biggest fear.

Originally posted by UpstateGC:
Hopefully this is a results of Hoke looking at a lot of film or some players simply evaluating themselves.
He doesn't have any game tape of this last guy.

I don't agree "
because recruiting is naturally going to get worse until SOS retires."

JoePa was STILL coaching winning football until his scandal broke--only THEN at 82 did his health go downhill and he died under all that Tremendous Strain on his reputation and on his legacy.

Spurrier exercises almost daily, says he feels GREAT !--and as long as he quits saying " 2 or 3 years more",
and hopefully bring us back to 11 wins in 2015-16, he'll have his boat load of pickups coming back.

Originally posted by Cackdiesel:
Originally posted by UpstateGC:
He doesn't have any game tape of this last guy.
There is a such thing as practice film.

Going by the lack of hustle, heart & pride that A LOT of the players on D played with & shown last year, there needs to be some house cleaning. I have absolutely no problem with it.

If a kid is being encouraged to transfer, it's their own fault. No one is picking on them. No one forced them to half ass it on the field last year & not show a bit of pride. If they had any pride, they wouldn't have had an exhausted average at best Kentucky player run the same wildcat play over & over down their throats. They wouldn't have finished almost dead last in the country in every major defensive statistic. Etc etc.

No im not talking about EVERY player on D.

Gamecock Lifer posted on 2/18/2015...
For many of the players leaving it is as much about attitude and teamwork as it is about talent and ability. We are clearing house of the guys who didn't care enough to put in the work needed to be winners at this level. That is not something easy to evaluate when recruiting a kid. Every player trying to get an offer will tell you he is a hard worker with a team first attitude... You won't know if it is a true or not until they get on your team and you evaluate how hard they are working, or how they act around teammates.

This year coach made it clear he flat out DID NOT LIKE a lot of the players on his team and said many just weren't TRYING out there, pointing to a few plays in specific games- like Vandy and KY where kids were loafing around, missing tackles, MISSING BLOCKS... They are no longer with the program all of a sudden, but... Flamers gonna flame! So all our lovely "fans" who turn every move made by this staff into the mostpnegative light possible will call out the coaches for poor talent evaluation or imply the players are leaving because they don't like the coaches.. Or that we are kicking off the talented ones and keeping the less talented (what a load of BS btw..), instead of realizing that coach said this was coming, he told us WHY he was coding and did everything short of naming the kids he was going to force out in his pressers over the course of the year. The saddest thing is that so many of our fans were apparently too stupid to read between the lines and see it coming. SMDH
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly, thank the LORD we have a coach that means what he says. He is honest and full of integrity. What a blessing this day and age.

We had guys on defense that would dive to the ground rather than attempt a tackle. I saw it over and over. As a fan of football, it made me sick to my stomach.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I thought the effort by a lot of guys was pathetic. Nothing to be gained by mentioning specific players, but every follower of Gamecock football saw what happened in the Texas A&M game, the UT game, and the Clemson game. Defense sucked and was not what Fighting Gamecocks are about. I'm glad someone is taking charge and "retiring" some players. It's like business, and it's time these young guys begin to be accountable for their free ride for a great educational opportunity. Be accountable or be gone...

Originally posted by Cackdiesel:
This last guy was hurt for most of last year though. Doesn't seem like he's even had time to show his talents.
It appears to me that this may be a grades issue.

Originally posted by Gamecock Lifer:

(a bunch of words i did not read)
"lifer", are you a woman? because i swear you are the biggest drama queen this forum has right now. You seriously need to put yourself on a per-post word-count, and it needs to be in the 20-30 range.

FWIW, It was my understanding that after the Clemson game Spurrier

was livid and stated there were a number of players that he didn't care if they didn't come back. Seems we had some players with bad attitudes and who weren't putting in the effort. I'm not saying any of the players who left were like that but if they're being encouraged to "seek opportunities elsewhere" then I wish them the best of luck.

Originally posted by 92Pony:

Originally posted by sanfordcock:
That means we've been really poor recently at evaluating talent.
This ^ is what's more disconcerting.....
agree with this too....and for those that dont think that work ethic and character cant be evaluated are kidding themselves....let that person flame away....lol

This post was edited on 2/21 1:54 AM by usaguy40

Originally posted by CliffordII:
JoePa was STILL coaching winning football until his scandal broke
He was at the end but had 4 losing seasons from 2000-2004: 5-7, 5-6, 9-4, 3-9, 4-7.

College is the first point a lot of these kids have to actually work athletically. Oh and throw in a college curriculum as well and you'll find many just don't care to do it. In high school they could show up and be praised for their ability alone. Now it takes desire to be better. Recruiting is just as much about finding that in a kid as it is anything else. That's why I like to pull from big, powerhouse football schools because those teams are in that position because of their preparation and competition within their own team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT