ADVERTISEMENT

Please not Kevin O` Sullivan!!! If anything, the guy has underachieved imo. It is easy to recruit

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
baseball players to Gainesville, FL. What does he have to show for it? Yes they are always good but it seems like someone always upsets them. They have had a tremendous amount of talent over the years and no NC to show for it. A Jackleg clone to boot - aloof, arrogant. He is very annoying as a coach - remember his tactics including slowing the game down various ways, changing pitchers at the drop of a hat all the time. He is not very animated, looks like a bump on a log most of the time. Please pass on him Ray! Corbin is about the same but at least he has won a N.C. O` Connor would be fine. Still, McDonald of Louisville would be #1 on my list, but Papa Johns can get him a lot of free pizza up there so he may not want to leave. Thick crust please while you`re at it.

baseball players to Gainesville, FL. What does he have to show for it? Yes they are always good but it seems like someone always upsets them. They have had a tremendous amount of talent over the years and no NC to show for it. A Jackleg clone to boot - aloof, arrogant. He is very annoying as a coach - remember his tactics including slowing the game down various ways, changing pitchers at the drop of a hat all the time. He is not very animated, looks like a bump on a log most of the time. Please pass on him Ray! Corbin is about the same but at least he has won a N.C. O` Connor would be fine. Still, McDonald of Louisville would be #1 on my list, but Papa Johns can get him a lot of free pizza up there so he may not want to leave. Thick crust please while you`re at it.
I don't want any of those high profile coaches.

I feel pretty much the same about KO. But, I will say, I despised SOS until he became our coach...... So, who knows. (I'll refrain from commenting on my current feelings toward SOS.)

I thinks folks need to get off the idea that if a coach has any ties to Clemson, we don't want him. I want the best coach. If O'Sullivan is the guy, then so be it! (I don't think he'll be the guy though). BTW our men's tennis coach is former Clemson all-american, and he has done a good job here.
O'Sullivan does have a great resume... not winning a national title doesn't bother me. Tough to do because everyone who gets to the CWS is good. Not to take away from our title vs them in 2011, but it took some pretty miraculous plays for us to beat them. So it's not like he's not putting a great team on the field each year. He may seem like a jerk on the field, doesn't every coach seem like a jerk (unless he's yours and he is winning?). Heck, I wouldn't care if we got Corbin from Vandy. If you can win at Vandy you must be doing soemthing right!

We have a very desirable program here, but it may not be desirable for everyone. E.G. - I like the TCU coach, but I don't think there's anyway we get him because he's getting a stadium built, has a good fan base there and probably won't get shown the door if he missed the NCAAs one year.

Of all the "known" coaches that people are throwing out there, I like the guy at Viriginia as a good fit here. We shall see!

Here's the thing folks...do you really think we're going to pay a baseball coach MORE than what we pay Muschamp or Staley? Because that is what we'd have to do to beat what UF is paying him. You have to take into consideration how much we'd have to up his base to make up for the fact that there are no income taxes in Florida.

All this to say...he is not what we need here. Jack Leggett 2.0 folks. Y'all thought he was busch league. O'Sullivan takes it to another level. Not the reputation I want associated with our program.

Here's the thing folks...do you really think we're going to pay a baseball coach MORE than what we pay Muschamp or Staley? Because that is what we'd have to do to beat what UF is paying him. You have to take into consideration how much we'd have to up his base to make up for the fact that there are no income taxes in Florida.

All this to say...he is not what we need here. Jack Leggett 2.0 folks. Y'all thought he was busch league. O'Sullivan takes it to another level. Not the reputation I want associated with our program.

Same with Corbin

Reactions: wood90

So you don't want O'Sullivan because he hasn't won a National Championship, but you want McDonnell. How many has he won?

Reactions: bushmastercock

This

Prying O'Sullivan from UF seems pretty remote. Being completely subjective what do we have to offer that he doesn't have right now.

Don't think he would be a bad hire but also don't think we can afford him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rogue cock
Some of you guys sound silly. Brian O'Connor would be my first choice but if O'Sullivan wanted to come here we'd be crazy to not make him an offer. The man recruits like nobody's business and he's a winner. He's been a head coach for nine years or so and has been to Omaha over half of those. As far as being "Leggett 2.0" as someone suggested because he hasn't won a title think about this: Ray Tanner coached at nc State 9yrs and another 6 here before making it to Omaha which he did for 3yrs in a row. Then after a 5yr absence fom Omaha he wins a national championship. So thats 23yrs as a hc before winning a national championship. Its just a matter of time before O'Sullivan wins one and I'd rather it be here than Florida. Jerk or not, he can put this program back on top

I didn't say that because he hasn't won a title. I said it because of the kind of person he is.

Our program has enjoyed a certain well respected reputation for doing things the right way and not being "busch league" on or off the field. We enjoy this because of the type of people who have run our program - Coach Richardson, June, Ray and Chad. Because of the kind of person KOS is, he does not fit that mold and regardless of wins, I see him bringing the program down, as far as our reputation is concerned. Wins are not worth that risk. His style and attitude is Jack Leggett. I can't understand why folks who couldn't stand JL would even consider KOS because he's exactly the same. Also, if he didn't leave UF for Texas last year (who would have no problem paying him whatever he wants), my gut is telling me he won't leave UF for us.

Same was said, by more than a few this season, about Dawn Staley. It takes alot of good fortune to win a NC, all he can do is put them in position year in and year out and he's done that.

That said, seems like a high price to pay and many good candidates available.

Reactions: ddw1263 and sadd66

The know it all has spoken.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

All shall now kneel before her.

I didn't say that because he hasn't won a title. I said it because of the kind of person he is.

Our program has enjoyed a certain well respected reputation for doing things the right way and not being "busch league" on or off the field. We enjoy this because of the type of people who have run our program - Coach Richardson, June, Ray and Chad. Because of the kind of person KOS is, he does not fit that mold and regardless of wins, I see him bringing the program down, as far as our reputation is concerned. Wins are not worth that risk. His style and attitude is Jack Leggett. I can't understand why folks who couldn't stand JL would even consider KOS because he's exactly the same. Also, if he didn't leave UF for Texas last year (who would have no problem paying him whatever he wants), my gut is telling me he won't leave UF for us.
Spoken like a true loser

Last month, in a thread about potential replacements for Chad, you were adamant that KOS is a perinneal underachiever because he hadn't won a title. Now, you are okay with his record (apparently the last 4 weeks have erased 9 years of results), and you wouldn't want him because of the kind of coach he is?
As stated earlier, some people didn't like SOS during his Florida days. I understood why, but when I watched Florida, I just saw a great coach.
People complain about KOS and Corbin for similar reasons. They are chippy. They are unconventional. Their teams are abrasive. I just see 2 guys who constantly have their guys in a position to won.

Reactions: bushmastercock
As for the money debate: how many of us were surprised, shocked, or outraged when Dawn was hired and paid more than Tanner?

I'd like to know what Sully has done that is Busch league and what he has done to be thought of as a bad person? I have seen zero..... sounds like sour grapes from batchick and OP. I appreciate all Holbrook did, but berating a player in front of the team and then wanting to rumble with Buscher as well as calling out the fans....... to me that's Busch league!
I take Sully in a NY minute!

Last month, in a thread about potential replacements for Chad, you were adamant that KOS is a perinneal underachiever because he hadn't won a title. Now, you are okay with his record (apparently the last 4 weeks have erased 9 years of results), and you wouldn't want him because of the kind of coach he is?
As stated earlier, some people didn't like SOS during his Florida days. I understood why, but when I watched Florida, I just saw a great coach.
People complain about KOS and Corbin for similar reasons. They are chippy. They are unconventional. Their teams are abrasive. I just see 2 guys who constantly have their guys in a position to won.
Where did I say I was ok with his record? Because I did not. I have always said that he's underachieved and he's exactly like Jack Leggett. Not what we need.

Reactions: gamecock ed
I'd like to know what Sully has done that is Busch league and what he has done to be thought of as a bad person? I have seen zero..... sounds like sour grapes from batchick and OP. I appreciate all Holbrook did, but berating a player in front of the team and then wanting to rumble with Buscher as well as calling out the fans....... to me that's Busch league!
I take Sully in a NY minute!
Refusing to finish a game this year after a rain delay, in which he was getting beat 10-1 by Stetson, for one.
And he continually pulls JackLegg busch league antics during games. Because he learned them from Jack himself.

Reactions: gamecock ed
Whether we can hire O'Sullivan or not, the man has been nothing but a success. O'Sullivan doesn't seem any different than Spurrier (did he bother you Batgirl?). I know Batgirl is worshipped in this forum, when it comes to the baseball program. She continues to "ignore" statistical fact, and replaces it with FEELINGS. Baseball is all about statistics. You can't ignore success, just because it doesn't "look" right to you. I'd take O'Sullivan in a second...or McDonnell.

Reactions: jeff2001

Remember the coach who was at Florida years ago and end up coaching Arizona and he end up winning a national championship back in 2012...

Just saying...

KO would be a grand slam hire for a lot of reasons.

He's not the only good coach out there.

Thank you Batgirl - I`m glad someone agrees with me. For you O`Sullivan supporters - why don`t we just get the original jerk, Jackleg! He can recruit, won a lot of ACC titles, beat us plenty of times, went to Omaha. Just didn`t win a NC. What`s the difference - most of us couldn`t stand Jackleg or Sully, just their manner, how they acted, not giving credit to their opponent, etc. And if you don`t think it`s easier to recruit at Florida you are fooling yourself. O`Sullivan is one loss to Bethune Cookman away from not making the Supers. I guarantee they won`t win the NC. I could tolerate Corbin, maybe, but hope we can get McDonnell, O`Connor or one ot the others they are talking about

Keep in mind O Sullivan's win pct at FU is basically the same as Holbrook's was

ADVERTISEMENT