ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Would the SEC want to add Southern Cal?

Would the SEC want to add Southern Cal?

• Yes, please invite them to our SEC conference immediately!

• No, we don't need a team that far away, even if a rich football history

• Before I can answer, I need some time to think about OJ Simpson, the USC cheerleaders and Aunt Becky

• Free Aunt Becky, Free Aunt Becky, Free Aunt Becky!

• On the condition the school solemnly promises to never let anyone call them "USC" ever again?

• I would rather offer Stanford.

• I just want college football to revert to how it was in 2005

Results are only viewable after voting.

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
By now you've seen the rumors (really more than just rumors) that UCLA and Southern Cal may flee the Pac-10 in favor of the Big Ten. Wow, that would make a conference with a lot of distance between teams. If Southern Cal is willing to travel that far, would you want them in the SEC?

Being from Texas, and new to the SEC, I don't know the views of many SEC folk. At one point over a decade ago, Texas was very interested in joining the Pac-10. First individually, and later as a group of 4 from the Big 12. Besides problems with the LHN, it didn't work out in part because of distances. It is one thing for football or basketball to fly to Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, and Washington State for games, But all the subsidiary men's teams and women's sports bearing that cost is really a problem. I don't know how Rutgers and Maryland will regularly play UCLA and Southern Cal in those minor sports.

Of course the SEC would want them, because, one, Greg Sankey is the vilest scum on this planet, and, two, most fans are just dullards that only care about what's exciting RIGHT NOW.

Of course the SEC would want them, because, one, Greg Sankey is the vilest scum on this planet, and, two, most fans are just dullards that only care about what's exciting RIGHT NOW.
To me, that is a weird take. Southern Cal has seven Heisman winners and a rich football history. Seems to me that their historic past is more what makes them attractive more than their recent football prowess. 4-8. 5-1, 8-5 and 5-7 the last four years. That's the opposite of RIGHT NOW.

Reactions: rhewredi
To me, that is a weird take. Southern Cal has seven Heisman winners and a rich football history. Seems to me that their historic past is more what makes them attractive more than their recent football prowess. 4-8. 5-1, 8-5 and 5-7 the last four years. That's the opposite of RIGHT NOW.
Michigan has a fabulous football tradition, and them being in the SEC or any other conference is just as dumb as Southern Cal anywhere but the Pac 10. And the right now means because it's exciting and novel at the moment. The cretins that are rurning college football and the yapping dogs that are cheering it on are the one's that care about the RIGHT NOW.

Boy, I can't wait to see UCLA vs. Northwestern every year, but thank God, Allah, Buddha, Yahweh, Zeus, and the federal government that Pitt and WVU still won't be playing annually, nor will A&M and Texas. Isn't this new college football great? Hey, is there a football playing school in The Bahamas? We don't have that Caribbean market covered yet.

I agree with you about their desirability, especially now that geography seemingly means so little. But they have taken another course. I'm good with the league we are going to have - until such time as we expand again. I think it's coming. It's go big or go home. The ACC is in a terrible spot now. They've gone irrelevant and have to do something, and there's only one small Catholic school that can help them.

I agree with you about their desirability, especially now that geography seemingly means so little. But they have taken another course. I'm good with the league we are going to have - until such time as we expand again. I think it's coming. It's go big or go home. The ACC is in a terrible spot now. They've gone irrelevant and have to do something, and there's only one small Catholic school that can help them.
If USC and UCLA bail, you will have two really strong major football conferences and three weak majors. I think that inevitably means a merger between two weaker ones, or a similar exodus from the weakest to the ACC. Maybe a Pac 10 and Big 12 merger? Somehow a third strong conference will come about and the other two fade into Mountain West, AAC and Big East level status.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
If USC and UCLA bail, you will have two really strong major football conferences and three weak majors. I think that inevitably means a merger between two weaker ones, or a similar exodus from the weakest to the ACC. Maybe a Pac 10 and Big 12 merger? Somehow a third strong conference will come about and the other two fade into Mountain West, AAC and Big East level status.
They have bailed. Just announced that their applications have been accepted. https://www.espn.com/college-sports...urce-usc-ucla-considering-move-pac-12-big-ten

I wonder if Lincoln Riley was aware this was going to happen before accepting the job with the Trojans. Seems (may not be true) like he bolted Oklahoma to avoid the SEC.

USC is so far away, they don’t even make sense for the BIG10. But I would like to play them every year or every other year where both teams just kind of meet at a stadium in the middle. Like a USC Vs . USC rivalry.

We really need to get an A/D and BOT that start taking football seriously first though. so we don’t get spanked every-time we play them. Like we do against UGA, Clemson and ATM and so forth. Our admin are a bunch of lame ducks and we need to overhaul that first before we take on anymore competition like the USC.

Last edited:
The equipment truck and team bus will accumulate a lot of miles. I remember last season or two ago, the plane that Southern California was traveling in tipped up in the air due to the weight balance distribution.

6e521037-864b-4e5a-a00d-cbdc08f15dff_1920x1080.jpg

A United Airlines plane tipped backward while being unloaded in Idaho, with passengers including part of the University of Southern California football team still on board.

Last edited:
By now you've seen the rumors (really more than just rumors) that UCLA and Southern Cal may flee the Pac-10 in favor of the Big Ten. Wow, that would make a conference with a lot of distance between teams. If Southern Cal is willing to travel that far, would you want them in the SEC?

Being from Texas, and new to the SEC, I don't know the views of many SEC folk. At one point over a decade ago, Texas was very interested in joining the Pac-10. First individually, and later as a group of 4 from the Big 12. Besides problems with the LHN, it didn't work out in part because of distances. It is one thing for football or basketball to fly to Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, and Washington State for games, But all the subsidiary men's teams and women's sports bearing that cost is really a problem. I don't know how Rutgers and Maryland will regularly play UCLA and Southern Cal in those minor sports.
I could see Arizona and ASU to the SEC. Would guess that the B1G would go after a combination of Berkeley, Stanford and/or Washington at that point. The B1G is limited by the fact that any admissions to the conference have to be AAU members.

The equipment truck and team bus will accumulate a lot of miles. I remember last season or two ago, the plane that Southern California was traveling in tipped up in the air due to the weight balance distribution.

6e521037-864b-4e5a-a00d-cbdc08f15dff_1920x1080.jpg

A United Airlines plane tipped backward while being unloaded in Idaho, with passengers including part of the University of Southern California football team still on board.
Must of been going to a bowl game. Should have put the weight room equipment in UHauls instead of the tail of the plane.

• Haha
Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Must of been going to a bowl game. Should have put the weight room equipment in UHauls instead of the tail of the plane.
This actually happened in Idaho. Southern California was enroute to Pullman to play Washington State and I guess this airport in Idaho is the closet to the Cougars football stadium and accommodations.

After the plane landed the ground crew was supposed to place equipment underneath the tail of the plane to keep it balanced, but the crew failed to do this procedure. I really never noticed this when boarding or departing an airplane. Someone likely got fired as a result of this could of possibly or did ground the plane and these airline companies hate it when the aircraft availability is decreased due to simple incompetent of routine operation.

It's too late for this. We have our conference for the foreseeable future. But I do believe this certainly brings the four super-conference structure closer to reality.
But how's it gonna be four super conferences when it's only two conferences beefing up?

I could see Arizona and ASU to the SEC. Would guess that the B1G would go after a combination of Berkeley, Stanford and/or Washington at that point. The B1G is limited by the fact that any admissions to the conference have to be AAU members.
Not all schools in BIG now are AAU members. I remember when Nebraska joined they weren't.

Not all schools in BIG now are AAU members. I remember when Nebraska joined they weren't.
They were when they joined. They lost it afterward because their medical school is in Omaha and the rest of the campus is in Lincoln. And, yes, until Nebraska lost their membership, the B!G universities were all AAU members. The ONLY school they have invited that didn't have an AAU membership is Notre Dame.

They were when they joined. They lost it afterward because their medical school is in Omaha and the rest of the campus is in Lincoln. And, yes, until Nebraska lost their membership, the B!G universities were all AAU members. The ONLY school they have invited that didn't have an AAU membership is Notre Dame.
There are a couple acc schools they could poach.

Reactions: rogue cock
There are a couple acc schools they could poach.
I believe UNC, UVA, GaTech and Duke would qualify.....so would Missouri, who they turned down. But neither the SEC or the B1G are going to mess with the grant of rights agreement with the ACC schools....neither want to be hit with an interference of contract suit. ACC schools will have to work that out first.

I can see the B1G going after Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Berkeley and Stanford....if the PAC-12 doesn't start raiding the Big-12. I think the Big 12 and the PAC-12 will start trying to lure each others schools in an effort to remain viable.

Last edited:
I could see them taking unc and duke. I also could see multiple teams to the sec.
No doubt that NCSU and VaTech would head to the SEC. Not sure GaTech would or would be invited. Same with FSU and Miami....none add any additional territory that the SEC isn't already in.

No doubt that NCSU and VaTech would head to the SEC. Not sure GaTech would or would be invited. Same with FSU and Miami....none add any additional territory that the SEC isn't already in.
You can add clemson to that list as well I’m afraid. They will be a commodity. They sit in the top ten of most watched college teams in the last ten years. It’s not about regions it’s about viewers and brand recognition .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT