ADVERTISEMENT

Poor Ray Tanner, as some posters said last night it was a no win situation for

I'm severely, angrily disappointed in Ray Tanner if he was offered BoA stadium and chose to go to LSU instead.

Difficult decisions come with the job. He'll have another one at season's end.
God help us when he makes that decision..this game should have been cancelled or postponed, giving LSU a home game should not have been an option

They did - but Tanner just stated that a neutral site game presented serious logistical problems.

If you are hearing him talk on the radio right now, it's obvious they reviewed countless scenarios over the course of several days- after talking with Columbia officials, The Governor's office, SEC officials, LSU officials.

Scenarios included: not playing the game, playing at various other stadiums, playing the game with an empty stadium, and others.

He had to make the decision with other people - including his boss, and the SEC office too.

He's not apologizing for making the decision at all. He said he's at peace with the decision. Said he knows it's not a perfect decision. Said he understands some will disagree- and that's ok.

He made a good decision. Well done.

As my boss has told me - and as I have told other people" You may not agree with my decision, but rest assured I considered various options and made the best decision I could based on the information I was receiving.

That's all you can ask of a decision maker.

I heard that Jacksonville Jags offered there stadium.

They did - but Tanner just stated that a neutral site game presented serious logistical problems.

If you are hearing him talk on the radio right now, it's obvious they reviewed countless scenarios over the course of several days- after talking with Columbia officials, The Governor's office, SEC officials, LSU officials.

Scenarios included: not playing the game, playing at various other stadiums, playing the game with an empty stadium, and others.

He had to make the decision with other people - including his boss, and the SEC office too.

He's not apologizing for making the decision at all. He said he's at peace with the decision. Said he knows it's not a perfect decision. Said he understands some will disagree- and that's ok.

Well if that's the case then just vacate the game.

I rather vacate the game than play it in Baton Rouge. It's still a no-win situation with the SEC, we're never going to get that home game back.

Reactions: Cock_Donor
I will not be satisfied by them just saying it presented logistical problems. I need an in-depth explanation of how having the game in Charlotte or Jacksonville presented logistical problems.

I will not be satisfied by them just saying it presented logistical problems. I need an in-depth explanation of how having the game in Charlotte or Jacksonville presented logistical problems.

If it's a logistic problem, would it be a logistical problem to move a team at the last minute to Baton Rouge from Columbia with no hotel reservations, no flight reservations and sending equipment to Baton Rouge. What are they going to do? Let us borrow their scrub uniforms ?

they considered everything - every possible scenario and that option wasn't selected. THat's the way it works.

They might disagree with you. Or maybe they agree with you. But they didn't select that option.

As they are saying on 107.5 after talking with Ray, he talked with the coaches, and players, and his boss, and the SEC office and they decided to play the game.

Well if that's the case then just vacate the game.

I rather vacate the game than play it in Baton Rouge. It's still a no-win situation with the SEC, we're never going to get that home game back.

Of course- but

Apparently the logistical option of playing at a neutral site was going to be more difficult since Tanner said they talked to various venue locations about the possibility and it proved to be too difficult to do in a very short time.

As I said, Tanner said they considered a lot of scenarios and they selected the one that made the most sense for them given the quick response required.

If it's a logistic problem, would it be a logistical problem to move a team at the last minute to Baton Rouge from Columbia with no hotel reservations, no flight reservations and sending equipment to Baton Rouge. What are they going to do? Let us borrow their scrub uniforms ?

Josh Kendall said on Twitter- that Charlotte didn't even want it.

Sorry- you might not get a full explanation. Folks in that position don't have to tell every single detail.

You either agree or not- that's the way it works.

I agree. LSU could have came to Cola and we could have leased buses for them to make the trip to Charlotte, just as our team would have to do. Even if we had to pat extra to get them back home around the same time they would have it would have been better than playing it in BR.

Of course- but

Apparently the logistical option of playing at a neutral site was going to be more difficult since Tanner said they talked to various venue locations about the possibility and it proved to be too difficult to do in a very short time.

As I said, Tanner said they considered a lot of scenarios and they selected the one that made the most sense for them given the quick response required.

Today is Wednesday. The game is played this Saturday in Baton Rouge, you got to pack up everything today and get it to Baton Rouge by Friday and travel with 150 players and coaches.

This was planned several days ago all along knowing that they're going to move it to Baton Rouge. I think Tanner is trying to save face by saying we decided at the last minute.

As my boss has told me - and as I have told other people" You may not agree with my decision, but rest assured I considered various options and made the best decision I could based on the information I was receiving.

That's all you can ask of a decision maker.
The weird thing is that this doesn't have anything to do with Gamecock fans.

Charlotte and Atlanta is a easy drive from Columbia. Even Jacksonville.

Flights into Atlanta, Charlotte, and Jacksonville are easy.

I've been pouring over hipmunk.com searches and there is no way unless I take off a lot of time from work that I can do the BR weekend less than $500.

It was a no-win situation, although, after we couldn't get the game moved to Bank of America in Charlotte, I would have tried hard for UGA stadium or Falcons stadium if they were gonna be away or even SC State stadium in Orangeburg before going all the way down to Baton Rouge, but it is what it is.

Best believe ESPN wanted this game played. That's #1 reason why it wasn't cancelled.

It's easy to say when you don't have to consider other people.

From Twitter
USC/LSU game in Columbia on Sat. would have created a "nightmare," Leon Lott of @RCSD said. http://bit.ly/usc-lsu

I agree. LSU could have came to Cola and we could have leased buses for them to make the trip to Charlotte, just as our team would have to do. Even if we had to pat extra to get them back home around the same time they would have it would have been better than playing it in BR.

It was a no-win situation, although, after we couldn't get the game moved to Bank of America in Charlotte, I would have tried hard for UGA stadium or Falcons stadium if they were gonna be away or even SC State stadium in Orangeburg before going all the way down to Baton Rouge, but it is what it is.

What if they moved it to Sunday and played it at Clemson? Still kinda sucks, but it would be better that playing @LSU.

Difficult decisions come with the job. He'll have another one at season's end.
AMEN!! This decision was not THAT difficult (the one dealing with Spurrier I agree will be tough considering Spurrier's HOC, legendary status - tough but necessary (either he resigns or has to be forced to do things he's not gonna do). Moving this game to LSU was the worst of several options and to "thank" them for "letting us come" is just so embarrassing, weak, & lame. I think this is the first time I've really been disappointed in anything about Ray Tanner - LOVE this man and appreciate him like we ALL do - but I don't think he was AT ALL in a "no win" situation! There HAD to be better places (or a forfeit, imo) to play this game more convenient for OUR fans and better for our team than the most hostile environment in the country!

LOL. Sure.

As I have said before on a lot of topics- and your post illustrates- common sense isn't that common anymore.

What if they moved it to Sunday and played it at Clemson? Still kinda sucks, but it would be better that playing @LSU.

Think about it, Neutral site games are great, But they don't put on the Chic Fil A kickoff game with three days notice. Playing at BR makes the most sense. Sack up and kick their ass there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT