ADVERTISEMENT

Population influx to SC

BigWillieCock

Gold Member
Sep 14, 2007
I was just wondering if this population influx into SC over the last year is happening in all parts of the state.

I live in Charleston and it’s been crazy this last 12 months. Our home has doubled in “value”. Realtors knock on our door several times a month.

Recently we actually thought of selling, taking the money and moving further out and having no mortgage debt.

Then I realized “further out” is now just as expensive. We could cash out but would not be any better off elsewhere.

It’s crazy down here and I don’t see how this works out in the long run. The people who actually have to work can’t afford to live anywhere near town where the jobs are. I know I couldn’t with today’s housing costs.

Yes it’s like that everywhere. Land has increased as well. I live in a small rural town and I was shocked at what my house appraised for when we decided to remodel 3 months ago

Yes it’s like that everywhere. Land has increased as well. I live in a small rural town and I was shocked at what my house appraised for when we decided to remodel 3 months ago
Same here in the upstate. Houses are selling days, not weeks.

One new neighbor works out of state, but moved here because he can work remotely now.

I was just wondering if this population influx into SC over the last year is happening in all parts of the state.

I live in Charleston and it’s been crazy this last 12 months. Our home has doubled in “value”. Realtors knock on our door several times a month.

Recently we actually thought of selling, taking the money and moving further out and having no mortgage debt.

Then I realized “further out” is now just as expensive. We could cash out but would not be any better off elsewhere.

It’s crazy down here and I don’t see how this works out in the long run. The people who actually have to work can’t afford to live anywhere near town where the jobs are. I know I couldn’t with today’s housing costs.
just wait until they open the walmart distribution center. 1000 jobs at that cite alone, more ships in the wando port, more trucks on 526 coming and going from the long point rd exit. that’s how i get to work from snee farm. nightmarish. stop and go traffic is already backing up to jedburg, which used to be nothing but forest. nexton is massive. they’re only halfway done with those neighborhoods. same with carolina park on past hwy 41. absurd.

This is happening in areas like SC all over the country- more rural/less expensive areas have people moving to them from densely populated cities because of the push to work remotely. There is no incentive to live close to a big office building in NY and pay NYC prices when you work from home and the pandemic has everything in your city shit down so you cannot even enjoy NYC amenities...

Unless we can find an area in Florida we like. Which so far hasn't happened. It's likely my wife and I increase HHI's population by two.

Last edited:
Yep, like that many places. Interest rates are low. Ironically, like you said, where do you move if you sell? It will be fascinating to see how it all shakes out when working from home is more permanent. It's a great thing. Cities will still be desirable, but there will be a lot of office space available.

I don’t mind them coming but please shut the hell up about how you did it up there. Don’t try to make her there. Assimilate. Oh. And every soft drink is a coke , even if it is a Pepsi. It’s not soda or pop
We're looking for a Snow Bird locale for after football season. As much as we love the character and tempo of HHI it really isn't far enough south for that.

We're the perfect neighbors. We pretty much just go about living our lives. Unless you deliver food to our table or front door, we probably won't be talking with you.

Reactions: cocks rule
People up north have been buying houses site unseen just to get the hell out.
Interesting. I live in "the north" and the real estate market around here has been as bonkers as this thread describes or more for years now. I have a home that has doubled in value in 5 years. The town I live in rarely ever has a house not sell for over list price with dozens of offers.

Interesting. I live in "the north" and the real estate market around here has been as bonkers as this thread describes or more for years now. I have a home that has doubled in value in 5 years. The town I live in rarely ever has a house not sell for over list price with dozens of offers.
Yep...if you check around, the housing shortage is nationwide. Some of the prices for tiny houses out west are shocking.

Yep...if you check around, the housing shortage is nationwide. Some of the prices for tiny houses out west are shocking.
Yes, I am sure its different by region. But in my area there has been a shortage issue for a long time, both in the city and the surrounding areas. So much of the new construction is in super high-end properties leaving not much new inventory in more affordable options targeted to the middle class.

Gotcha. Yeah only asked because over half the island is Ohio transplants.
You guys get harassed by the permanent/semi-permanent relocators.

We get hit every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day by either the Ohio Navy going to Lakes Herrington or Cumberland. Or, we get the DFOs going into The Red River Gorge that don't understand that gravity isn't just a good idea...It's the LAW!

It's all over...Erwin TN now has folks moving in from Carlifornia..Two of the couples I spoke with were looking at Asheville but decided to take a drive over to TN. They stopped in Erwin and fell in love with the small mountain town. Our houses are on the market only for a couple of days.

I am a real estate investor as well...Hedge Funds, Investors, Corporate institutions are buying up houses in bulk. It will come a time in the near future where an individual will have a hard time buying a home as the previous mentioned will want to rent you a home.

In hot areas, folks are selling homes but keeping the dirt. You get a 99 year lease on the land.

I left the stock market 20 years ago and invested in Real Estate only. It has paid off BIG TIME!!!

So how long will the hot real estate market last?

Exploding here in the upstate, no doubt! Houses, apartments, townhomes and such are being built everywhere, never seen it like this.

Reactions: Brace1
I’ve had a constant stream of new patients coming from the NY/NJ area over the last year. They are leaving areas that they say use to be nice but are now turning into $hit holes, crime, taxes, government control. I realize it anecdotal but that’s what they tell me.

Where are the jobs to justify the houses being built? All due to telecommuting? Tremendous number of homes being built in Greenville. How can I make money for the slump that is about to happen?
A lack of supply of housing existed before the virus hit. Virus has impacted building supplies (dramatic price increases, some of that driven by DIYs, with time on their hands from the shutdown, buying up limited supplies.). Only the rich are building right now. Including contractors trying to get rich.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Charlotte area is the same way, especially any house with substantial land. A lot of factors at play but primarily the dollar will continue to tank with runaway govt spending, people flocking to reliable assets like real estate and precious metals.

Reactions: BigWillieCock

We live on a small lake in the upstate. One of my neighbors is from Indiana. He stopped me the other day whilst I was cutting grass, and was complaining about my German Shepard barking at night. Mind you, I have just finished working 40 days in a row , and most of those were 10-12 hours. We have deer in our yard many nights, and my dogs let us know when there’s anything here that doesn’t belong. Needless to say, he wasn’t pleased with my response, and he walked away looking at his shoes 🤣. Dang northeners!

We live on a small lake in the upstate. One of my neighbors is from Indiana. He stopped me the other day whilst I was cutting grass, and was complaining about my German Shepard barking at night. Mind you, I have just finished working 40 days in a row , and most of those were 10-12 hours. We have deer in our yard many nights, and my dogs let us know when there’s anything here that doesn’t belong. Needless to say, he wasn’t pleased with my response, and he walked away looking at his shoes 🤣. Dang northeners!
What lake? I’m on Trollingwood.

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
You guys get harassed by the permanent/semi-permanent relocators.

We get hit every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day by either the Ohio Navy going to Lakes Herrington or Cumberland. Or, we get the DFOs going into The Red River Gorge that don't understand that gravity isn't just a good idea...It's the LAW!
I live in Beaufort but use to work in HHI. During the spring through fall good luck trying to get on and off the island on saturdays. People rent houses a week at a time usually. Traffic backed up for miles in bluffton on check on days.

I live in Beaufort but use to work in HHI. During the spring through fall good luck trying to get on and off the island on saturdays. People rent houses a week at a time usually. Traffic backed up for miles in bluffton on check on days.

We learned long ago, that when making trips to locations with limited access (HHI, Key West, etc.) to schedule non-traditional arrival/departure days. Like mid week. Tues - Tues as an example.

I was born and raised in Greenville, SC but haven't been down in well over a year due to Covid. I was watching the Greenville News the other night and didn't recognize part of the Greenville skyline.

Reactions: JamestownJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT