ADVERTISEMENT

Population influx to SC

If they were looking at Asheville they might as well just stayed in California
Price was no object for these folks...the mountains are prettier/nicer in Tennessee...they won't let you build on our mountains....Sam's Gap, Buffalo Mountain, the mountains around Johnson CIty and Kingsport are preserved so that we don't have ugly houses to look at when driving I-26...Asheville and Weaverville mountains are covered up with houses...uch...

I’ve had a constant stream of new patients coming from the NY/NJ area over the last year. They are leaving areas that they say use to be nice but are now turning into $hit holes, crime, taxes, government control. I realize it anecdotal but that’s what they tell me.
It’s interesting I moved here from NOVA 15 years ago. I grew up in SC though. Each area has pluses and minuses. I see folks always talking how SC is so much better than anywhere else and I just don’t see it. I think it’s all about what a person likes. I liked NOVA and Atlanta a lot better for that matter but I think it’s just because I like living in big cities. Columbia is just dirt cheap compared to there. Heck I sold my house in NOVA and paid cash for a house here out of the profits. To me SC is worse but the advantage of no stress outweighs the alternative.

Yeah the traffic is just what gets me. I worked long shifts so I didn’t get off work til 8, but if I had to leave at 5 I’d rather just stay in the office an extra hour instead of traffic. Not an issue at this time in Beaufort.
Appreciate the advice. But, before we retired. When we went on vacation, my wife would go to the beach while I would go play golf. Early in the season my golf game is a mess after being dormant 4 months in KY.

My solution was over a 7 day vacation on the island was to play the 1st three or four days in Bluffton. Where I could lose golf balls at a bargain price. Then finish up the week playing a few high-dollar rounds on the island.

We try to AirBnB it close enough to the beach that my wife can walk there. That frees up the car for me to drive to wherever I have a tee time.

Getting off the island into Bluffton has never been a problem early in the morning (7 - 9am). Getting back on the island isn't a problem as long as you aren't trying to do it between 2 - 4pm.

I enjoy the brackish air coming off the river, spanish moss swaying in the breeze, kayaking on the May and Okatie Rivers, very mild winters, fresh seafood, great restaurants and a completely laid back lifestyle. Fortunately we haven't had any bad hurricanes this far down in the lowcountry We also don't have nearly as many yellowjackets as the rest of the state. But everyone likes different things.
Thanks for your explanation.

Reactions: rogue cock
It’s interesting I moved here from NOVA 15 years ago. I grew up in SC though. Each area has pluses and minuses. I see folks always talking how SC is so much better than anywhere else and I just don’t see it. I think it’s all about what a person likes. I liked NOVA and Atlanta a lot better for that matter but I think it’s just because I like living in big cities. Columbia is just dirt cheap compared to there. Heck I sold my house in NOVA and paid cash for a house here out of the profits. To me SC is worse but the advantage of no stress outweighs the alternative.
We have a friend who is a realtor and this is pretty much what they’ve indicated they are hearing from people moving to the area. Since more people have gotten approval to work remotely forever they are keeping the higher salary and then moving to areas with lower costs of living and you can’t get much lower than SC. I’m just curious how many of these people really know what they are getting into with our summers.

Reactions: Robhawk29
People moving from troubled cities like NYC & SF to flyover country cities are far more likely to be homeowners than renters, as they were in the elite shit holes.

I agree completely. The wife would never go for it because of family but I would move to San Diego tomorrow. As well as a handful of other places. SC is ok, infrastructure and education are terrible.

Not likely. Different era in lenders. But it will eventually plateau once everything settles down.
Take a look....

Another contributing factor was second mortgage abuse by the lenders. They were trying to get you to borrow on your house to buy cars and did drive by appraisals or none at all. Contributed to a lot of foreclosures and modified home values (downward).

What is a NOVA?

Reactions: Forever Fowl
I was just wondering if this population influx into SC over the last year is happening in all parts of the state.

I live in Charleston and it’s been crazy this last 12 months. Our home has doubled in “value”. Realtors knock on our door several times a month.

Recently we actually thought of selling, taking the money and moving further out and having no mortgage debt.

Then I realized “further out” is now just as expensive. We could cash out but would not be any better off elsewhere.

It’s crazy down here and I don’t see how this works out in the long run. The people who actually have to work can’t afford to live anywhere near town where the jobs are. I know I couldn’t with today’s housing costs.

I see new subdivisions being started in every part of Greenville County and wonder if all these new houses will ever sell. But then I see "Christmas" type traffic at mid day Monday on Woodruff Road.

I see new subdivisions being started in every part of Greenville County and wonder if all these new houses will ever sell. But then I see "Christmas" type traffic at mid day Monday on Woodruff Road.
I guess they still call that urban sprawl? Same with lots of the Charleston areas, where the overbuild for the roads and you get to sit and sit waiting at stop signs....then the DOT comes along and adds another stop light.

However, traffic patterns have changed so much in the past 12 months, it's hard to tell how this will evolve in the next few years.

We have a friend who is a realtor and this is pretty much what they’ve indicated they are hearing from people moving to the area. Since more people have gotten approval to work remotely forever they are keeping the higher salary and then moving to areas with lower costs of living and you can’t get much lower than SC. I’m just curious how many of these people really know what they are getting into with our summers.
Air conditioning.

Air conditioning.
I have a coworker who has been here coming up on 20 years now that moved from West Virginia. He said when they first came to look at SC they left a Friday night around 10 and when they hit Columbia at 2am and it was 15 degrees hotter than when they left WV his wife started questioning the move.

Who cares as long as I can unload some properties with problems to those nice yanks!! The one good thing this housing boom is Great for.

• Haha
Reactions: Dizzy01
Preaching to the choir on cokes, that's what they've always been no matter what, but to be honest I wish somebody would set a quota or something. It's too damn crowded anymore.
Schools aren’t too bad in Beaufort- Montessori and Charter schools available-well end up doing the Beaufort High system-lady’s island is getting busy, considering buying land on St Helena because I guess in 10 years it’ll start to get developed like Lady’s.
I'm behind the National Cemetery. Low profile.

Reactions: SCexpat38
In Blue Ridge/Travelers Rest, we called it a "dope"
My father is from Pendleton. He said back in the day (50s when he was in HS) you called a coke a "dope" and a pack of crackers "bust opens."

I.e., you'd stop at a gas station and grab a dope and some bust opens.

He ran moonshine for a while.

Reactions: heelzfor2
I have a coworker who has been here coming up on 20 years now that moved from West Virginia. He said when they first came to look at SC they left a Friday night around 10 and when they hit Columbia at 2am and it was 15 degrees hotter than when they left WV his wife started questioning the move.
Years ago I moved from Greenville to Tampa...it literally took me a year to get used to the weather. It was hard to get past the 75 degree temp on Christmas. The humidity was brutal from May-Oct

Reactions: Dizzy01
Lexington plans to halt new construction.
Not exactly. Lexington is pausing for 6 months approvals of new applications for developments of greater than 10 homes. Less than 10 home developments are not affected. And existing applications that are being reviewed for larger developments will still be processed and be built. The 6 month pause is to allow time to revise the rules for developments.

Not exactly. Lexington is pausing for 6 months approvals of new applications for developments of greater than 10 homes. Less than 10 home developments are not affected. And existing applications that are being reviewed for larger developments will still be processed and be built. The 6 month pause is to allow time to revise the rules for developments.
Also only applies to divisions of 1/2 acre or less. Only really hurts the mungo style subdivisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: lakemurraycock1
Other than having to go to the traffic light at Charles and Boundary to cross Boundary to get to downtown Beaufort, it's still pretty quiet in Pigeon Point and Higginsonville.
I don't like my chances of getting the wife to move someplace called "Pigeon Point".

Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's nice. I just don't see my wife telling her family that she lives in "Pigeon" anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT