ADVERTISEMENT

Post and Courier reporter whines about kid reporter

I'm still trying to figure out how asking CFM about his defense wasnt relevant to the game.

That reporter was the only one apparently lol. I was listening to the national guys on CBS radio today, and they all were coming down on the p&c guy hard. Again, like I said, butt hurt at its finest.

Reactions: USC-1
I just hope that national readers realize that p&c is not a Gamecock friendly publication.

The pric* probably would have asked Martin about the Emanuel 9 or some other highly relevant issue.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
Having actually been a beat writer trying to file on a tight deadline, I have some thoughts.

The kid asked a good question, and Martin gave a good answer. But it's the kind of question better asked in a game-week press conference than immediately after a game, because in that moment the reporters are focused on the specifics of that game rather than a coach's defensive coaching philosophy.

I don't know the writer, but I'll venture an educated guess that he wasn't as upset with the question or the kid as he was that the guy running the postgame press conference made it the first question. I can tell you, when you have very little time to write a story, even the 45 seconds or so that question/answer took seems precious. The kid, I imagine, wasn't writing something on deadline. How often does Sports Illustrated for Kids come out? Had the question come later, I doubt anything would have been said.

On the other hand, nobody wants to hear people complain about their jobs (or about much else, for that matter). Had it been me, I might have found the guy running the press conference later and asked him in the future to let the reporters on deadline get their questions out of the way first, just as a professional courtesy. I hope I wouldn't have complained publicly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
he had time to think about what he said and apologized for it.....he was frustrated and it was late....i can sympathize

Last edited:
Having actually been a beat writer trying to file on a tight deadline, I have some thoughts.

The kid asked a good question, and Martin gave a good answer. But it's the kind of question better asked in a game-week press conference than immediately after a game, because in that moment the reporters are focused on the specifics of that game rather than a coach's defensive coaching philosophy.

I don't know the writer, but I'll venture an educated guess that he wasn't as upset with the question or the kid as he was that the guy running the postgame press conference made it the first question. I can tell you, when you have very little time to write a story, even the 45 seconds or so that question/answer took seems precious. The kid, I imagine, wasn't writing something on deadline. How often does Sports Illustrated for Kids come out? Had the question come later, I doubt anything would have been said.

On the other hand, nobody wants to hear people complain about their jobs (or about much else, for that matter). Had it been me, I might have found the guy running the press conference later and asked him in the future to let the reporters on deadline get their questions out of the way first, just as a professional courtesy. I hope I wouldn't have complained publicly.
Think the young man's question was excellent and relevant for this game and every game we have played in the NCAA tournament so far because defense has been a huge part of our success. We are absolutely smothering teams so far. So to "dig a little deeper" into the philosophy as to what might be behind that kind of effort is completely relevant.

The truth is if you listen consistently to press conferences before or after games, there are very few original questions asked. Hence the cliche answers given by players and coaches. Same ole same ole. Sometimes to the point of questioning how some of these people got their jobs. It's quite ridiculous at times.
Cudos to the young man and the poise he exhibited in asking his questions. Excellent job young man!!

I didn't hear any bitching about the woman who asked the dumb question about the confederate flag after one of USC's biggest wins ever in Greenville. What did that have to do with the game? This guy just got shown up by a kid and got his feelings hurt!

Wow what a dick. A real beat writer would incorporate the kid into whatever his angle would be. Pretending he had serious reporting to do is the real joke here

What specifics? "Coach, what do you think of the way your team handled the pressure out there?"
"I'm proud of my guys for their toughness. This was an exceptionally good team, and we persevered with the grit I knew my guys had. That Baylor team deserves a ton of respect. I don't think anyone could have foreseen the game going as well as it did for us. But we believed and stuck to our plan, and ultimately, it paid off."

We've heard the same old drivel after every game from every coach and player EVERY GAME. I'm more than ok with a reporter (of ANY age) asking a thought provoking question that is not only relevant, but also actually interesting. The fact that it was a 13 year old kid just means that these paid writers should be embarrassed.

What specifics? "Coach, what do you think of the way your team handled the pressure out there?"
"I'm proud of my guys for their toughness. This was an exceptionally good team, and we persevered with the grit I knew my guys had. That Baylor team deserves a ton of respect. I don't think anyone could have foreseen the game going as well as it did for us. But we believed and stuck to our plan, and ultimately, it paid off."

We've heard the same old drivel after every game from every coach and player EVERY GAME. I'm more than ok with a reporter (of ANY age) asking a thought provoking question that is not only relevant, but also actually interesting. The fact that it was a 13 year old kid just means that these paid writers should be embarrassed.
The questions I would have asked Martin and the players would have been along the lines of what Martin liked best about how his defense played this game. How they limited certain Baylor players from getting the ball in favorable scoring positions? Turnovers? The number of shots Baylor took? The shooting percentage Baylor was held to? Conversely, when Baylor made its second-half charge to cut the lead to 11, what did Martin think was causing Carolina's scoring drought? (I have my opinion, but I'd like to hear Martin's.) Those are questions I would have asked if I were writing a game story, because the answers could have given insight into how what was expected to be a difficult game was won so easily.

As I said, I don't think the kid asked a bad question, but I understand how frustrating it is for time-strapped beat writers in that circumstances. Again, as I said, I don't think I'd have complained in public, because nobody besides me is interested in how I do my job or the difficulties involved. You, of course, are entitled to your opinion, but that's my perspective on how the Charleston writer felt about the postgame press conference.

I know how the biz works. And when it comes to game wrap-up stories, 99% of the story is written before the post-game press conference. At that point, the "writer' is just plugging in quotes.

Here's the real reason poor David is so upset:

SI Kids reporter: "When you coach or teach your team defense, what's more important, technique or attitude?"

Martin: "First of all, a lot of respect to you. that's a heck of a question. I've been doing this a long time, and that's the first time anyone's ever asked me that, that's a heck of a question. Attitude comes first. We gotta have guys that are gonna believe in our mission, that are going to believe in what we do. Once they believe, then we can teach them the technique."

Many "journalists" have an incredibly over-inflated opinion of what they do. When Coach Martin said "I've been doing this a long time, and that's the first time anyone's ever asked me that," the level of jealous rage was beyond intense for David.

Reactions: paladin181
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT