Votes: 42 24.4%
  • 2-2

Votes: 12 7.0%
  • 1-3

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 0-4

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
While I agree that hot seat talk is too early, I think you are being disingenuous with the win totals.

We can say "2 win team" over and over, but anyone paying attention knows it was 2 wins in an all sec schedule.

Beamer could win all 4 of these games mentioned and it wouldn't be an improvement over the 2 win season. Unless he wins at least one more other conference game.
Agreed- that is why I said “and winds up with more than 4 wins”- taking it back to the win total of 2019, which is a better direct comparison.

At least the OP found another idiot to agree with him.
Kawalski the only good thing about you is the picture beside your name.
If you're not worried about Troy and ECU, then you're the idiot. Mike Houston has already taken a third of the talent and beat our asz before.....and that was against a proven coaching staff at USC. Lindsey knows what he's doing at Troy, too. Both teams have talent - and it isn't too far behind what we presently have on campus at USC. This year I hope both those programs continue to stay where they've been recently....and we SHOULD beat them.

If we can't win 2-3 games out of this four game stretch......that will not on any previous HC, staff or team. That will be on THIS HC, staff and group of players.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
If Beamer drops any of these games he should find himself on the hot seat immediately. He’s a coach who should have a short leash as it is and needs to prove himself immediately. People are talking about ECU like they should be a problem— they haven’t had a winning record since 2014.

There's no need to place that kind of pressure on Beamer 1st year. Nick Saban himself would have difficulty carving a winning record with what Muschamp has left behind.

4-0, but we can’t sleep on any of these. ECU will be a serious threat.

All depends on how good a game day coach Beamer will be. Can’t be any worse than the last guy.
Well if Mac Brown has sealed up North Carolina and we are getting zilch from there, why should ECU not suffer the same fate. They will not equal us in personnel, either coaches or players. If we do lose the game it will be be because of poor effort or lack of desire.

Mack and Houston are not going after the same guys, UNC is getting a bunch of 4*s now, with the occasional 3* thrown in there. ECU will get the majority of 2* guys with the occasional 3* thrown in there. Its been that way for ECU for years. As we have seen however, put a very good coach at ECU and they are capable of beating schools that have recruited much better than them over the years. Same holds true for App St......would be interesting to see the average * rating of the team that beat Michigan that year, vs the recruits UM was playing with. Coaching truly makes a huge difference IMHO.

Mack and Houston are not going after the same guys, UNC is getting a bunch of 4*s now, with the occasional 3* thrown in there. ECU will get the majority of 2* guys with the occasional 3* thrown in there. Its been that way for ECU for years. As we have seen however, put a very good coach at ECU and they are capable of beating schools that have recruited much better than them over the years. Same holds true for App St......would be interesting to see the average * rating of the team that beat Michigan that year, vs the recruits UM was playing with. Coaching truly makes a huge difference IMHO.
You are all over it. Thing is...Mike Houston is a very good coach. It's taken some time to get the ship turned a little at ECU...but based on track record you have to expect this year to be a winning season for them. That is what scares me about this game for USC.

ECU recruits the same/similar guys as App State (and I don't know about class rank...but individually just knowing who has gone there recently ECU typically lands the better "athletes/players" the last decade) but ASU's coaching staff has definitely been better in that same decade timeframe. Having Ted Roof as your DC....you can see how a group like ASU and beat us at home two years ago. I think Blake Harrell is a really good up and coming DC - just IMO...but we will see.

ECU aren't world beaters, and they've looked like crap the last couple years BUT they have pieces in place to surprise so I hope our staff and players are ready for that.

Reactions: heelzfor2
If Beamer drops any of these games he should find himself on the hot seat immediately. He’s a coach who should have a short leash as it is and needs to prove himself immediately. People are talking about ECU like they should be a problem— they haven’t had a winning record since 2014.
He won't be on the hot seat this year or next year. Year #3 is when it starts getting warm if he hasn't won enough games. I think he will win 4-5 games this year and increase that win total each year with 7-8 wins in year #3. (Roughly equivalent to Spurrier's trajectory.)

the 4 games we realistically have a 50/50 shot at this year, I think 2-2 with wins over Eastern Illinois and upset over Vandy, and pull another upset somewhere finishing the season overall at 3-9, what do you think?
I'm not saying we can't lose any of those games but we will be expected to win all of those games. We will be the more talented team when we step on the field with all of them.

Troy is a solid football program they beat LSU a few years ago, can't remember when we ever beat LSU. ECU also has done well in recruiting and it's on the road. to say we go a perfect 4-0 after last year would be setting up for disappointment. rome wasn't built in a day.
You seem to forget how many players were not available by the end of the season every year under Muschamp, you seem to think there is any valid reason for a team to have 2 wins in the same season it put 5 people in the NFL, it had to be coaching, no other explanation. If we revert to average on the injury front and for team performance for the level of talent we accumulated, we should more than handle all those teams. Our record last year indicates that the game passed Muschamp defensively, he couldn't create cohesion, the roster was managed poorly and something he did kept getting players hurt.

Reactions: briceisbest
He won't be on the hot seat this year or next year. Year #3 is when it starts getting warm if he hasn't won enough games. I think he will win 4-5 games this year and increase that win total each year with 7-8 wins in year #3. (Roughly equivalent to Spurrier's trajectory.)
We are the equivalent of a battered spouse as a fan base. Eastern Illinois, ECU, and Troy are bad non-power 5 teams. South Carolina is more talented than them at every position group, in some cases miles more talented. This is an SEC school that should have an elite coaching staff, relative to almost every other program in the country. If they drop one of these games it should be a major red flag and trigger inquiries of this staff’s ability to prepare and manage a game.

Realistically? 4-0. But ECU isn't a slouch team. They make take a win in their home stadium.

I know this comes with the caveat that we were awful the past couple of years (albeit, at a much higher level of competition), but ECU very much IS a slouch team. In the last 5 seasons, they have recorded four 3-win seasons and one 4-win season. Unless they've undergone some remarkable turnaround since last year, they are a very bad team.

I know they have historically been alright when we played them and have often given us fits, but they are a bad team and have been for the past 6 seasons.

They are actually in their worst stretch of football, record-wise, that I can see going back to 30s.

It doesn't mean we'll win...we are USC after all...but we should win and we should expect to win. If we can't beat an AAC team that has 16 total wins in the past 5 seasons, then we should be on red alert and things are here worse than even the biggest pessimist could imagine.

Last edited:
I know this comes with the caveat that we were awful the past couple of years (albeit, at a much higher level of competition), but ECU very much IS a slouch team. In the last 5 seasons, they have recorded four 3-win seasons and one 4-win season. Unless they've undergone some remarkable turnaround since last year, they are a very bad team.

I know they have historically been alright when we played them and have often given us fits, but they are a bad team and have been for the past 6 seasons.
Agree...the last two years. I'm just saying that the HC has a track record...and it would be a major surprise to see his program have a losing season this year.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
South Carolina shouldn’t be losing regular season games to teams outside of the power 5 conferences, no mater what the circumstances.

Since Holtz lost to ECU in his winless first season in 1999, South Carolina has only dropped games to non-power 5 teams in 2015 (Citadel with an interim head coach) and 2019 (App state with a head coach who was already a dead man walking). It’s just not something that should happen, especially when the non power 5 teams are bad, should always be unacceptable and reflects a lack of coaching competency.
Some G5 teams of recent years would stomp mudholes in any USC team, outside of 10-13’, in school history. Pretty bad take here. We’ve been lucky to play them when they were down. Outside of that app state team you mentioned which was pretty damn good.

You seem to forget how many players were not available by the end of the season every year under Muschamp, you seem to think there is any valid reason for a team to have 2 wins in the same season it put 5 people in the NFL, it had to be coaching, no other explanation. If we revert to average on the injury front and for team performance for the level of talent we accumulated, we should more than handle all those teams. Our record last year indicates that the game passed Muschamp defensively, he couldn't create cohesion, the roster was managed poorly and something he did kept getting players hurt.
There is plenty left to explain. A large part of the problem last year was that we were taking 4-5 lower level collegiate program players, plugging them into starting positions and expecting to win vs. SEC competition. Those guys vs. legit (first string) competition.....haven't fared so well.

ECU and Troy have plenty of better players on their rosters than the transfer guys that we've put on the field from these lesser programs that many of our fans have touted to be so good. The point is....yes ECU and Troy haven't been good the last 2 years (for sure) ....but neither have we. Those programs are in their 3rd year of a new HC...and you can bet some adjustments in the correct direction have been made. I just won't be surprised if they compete closely with us. H$ll - besides the occassional 4 star we might land.... most of OUR recruits list ECU, App, Troy, etc along with schools considered when they decisioned.

We have a bigger stadium, more support, play in a tougher conference, etc- all true obviously. But, 20 and 21 year olds looking to make a name for themselves on what will likely be their biggest stage all year is what our team should be guarding against. Better prepare like it's Bama...and bring it.

Kawalski the only good thing about you is the picture beside your name.
If you're not worried about Troy and ECU, then you're the idiot. Mike Houston has already taken a third of the talent and beat our asz before.....and that was against a proven coaching staff at USC. Lindsey knows what he's doing at Troy, too. Both teams have talent - and it isn't too far behind what we presently have on campus at USC. This year I hope both those programs continue to stay where they've been recently....and we SHOULD beat them.

If we can't win 2-3 games out of this four game stretch......that will not on any previous HC, staff or team. That will be on THIS HC, staff and group of players.
Come back and visit this post after the 4 games and see who the idiot is.

Come back and visit this post after the 4 games and see who the idiot is.
Let's do that. Your blind faith in a HC, staff and group of players to go 4-0 vs. teams with a pulse is inspiring. I hope you're right. Maybe the team with a 4 year starter at qb averaging over 400 yards and 30 PPG is a bum, and we steamroll them.
Obviously this SHOULD be the stretch we get 4 wins out of the schedule.

Some G5 teams of recent years would stomp mudholes in any USC team, outside of 10-13’, in school history. Pretty bad take here. We’ve been lucky to play them when they were down. Outside of that app state team you mentioned which was pretty damn good.
This is just silly. G5 teams have a winning percentage of like 20% against Power 5 schools.

And South Carolina is playing against three G5 teams that aren’t very good. ECU has been terrible lately. Eastern Illinois won just two games combined the past two seasons. And Troy is coming off back to back losing seasons.

Even when the G5 teams are good, like App State, a South Carolina program that was in complete shambles in 2019 still was just one embarrassingly bad throw away from winning that game.

I don’t care what your situation is or where you are in some rebuilding cycle, if you’re an SEC staff dropping regular season games to G5 schools— particularly bad G5 schools— you need to be asked some serious questions. I don’t care if it’s your first game or 30th game.

Reactions: funktavious
This is just silly. G5 teams have a winning percentage of like 20% against Power 5 schools.

And South Carolina is playing against three G5 teams that aren’t very good. ECU has been terrible lately. Eastern Illinois won just two games combined the past two seasons. And Troy is coming off back to back losing seasons.

Even when the G5 teams are good, like App State, a South Carolina program that was in complete shambles in 2019 still was just one embarrassingly bad throw away from winning that game.

I don’t care what your situation is or where you are in some rebuilding cycle, if you’re an SEC staff dropping regular season games to G5 schools— particularly bad G5 schools— you need to be asked some serious questions. I don’t care if it’s your first game or 30th game.

Yes, that was a historically good (for them) App State team. We were a train wreck in every facet of the game, and it was still competitive.

Most of the time, any average or better P5 team would easily defeat the best G5 has to offer.

Coastal finished 12th last year but would have lost handily to any P5 team ranked below them in the top 25, and quite a few outside the top 25.

Reactions: funktavious
We are the equivalent of a battered spouse as a fan base. Eastern Illinois, ECU, and Troy are bad non-power 5 teams. South Carolina is more talented than them at every position group, in some cases miles more talented. This is an SEC school that should have an elite coaching staff, relative to almost every other program in the country. If they drop one of these games it should be a major red flag and trigger inquiries of this staff’s ability to prepare and manage a game.
Fair enough. I just think the outcome by the end of the season will be better than you think. Sure, we might lose one of those games but if we progress through the season and win 4-5 then I'll be satisfied. However, if we go 2-10 and look terrible all the way through the season because this staff can't put together a decent game plan then I might change my mind about that seat in December.

BTW, if that happens, RT will be gone by Christmas.

Let's do that. Your blind faith in a HC, staff and group of players to go 4-0 vs. teams with a pulse is inspiring. I hope you're right. Maybe the team with a 4 year starter at qb averaging over 400 yards and 30 PPG is a bum, and we steamroll them.
Obviously this SHOULD be the stretch we get 4 wins out of the schedule.
What'd I say?

Fair enough. I just think the outcome by the end of the season will be better than you think. Sure, we might lose one of those games but if we progress through the season and win 4-5 then I'll be satisfied. However, if we go 2-10 and look terrible all the way through the season because this staff can't put together a decent game plan then I might change my mind about that seat in December.

BTW, if that happens, RT will be gone by Christmas.
From your lips to Santa's ears...

On paper there's no reason we should lose any of these games. As dysfunctional as we are, we are better across the board than each of these teams. There's no objective reason to predict a loss to any of these teams. The only reason to predict a loss is pessimism.

You're both right. G5 teams on the whole have like a 20% win percentage against P5 teams. But there are some G5 teams that would beat most South Carolina teams. I'd argue Boise State and TCU (before they joined the Big XII) would smoke any South Carolina team, including the Spurrier years. Boise beat a few elite P5 teams and didn't lose to any of them during that stretch. TCU did the same, and beat Clemson the year they made the ACC championship. Boise and TCU were some awesome teams. UCF of recent years was really, really good too.

But while he was entirely correct, ECU is not one of those teams. As people have said, they've been a terrible G5 team, not the team with the highest winning percentage ever like that Boise team. If ECU were to win, I wont be ready to fire Beamer, as we need to give leeway, but it will be extremely surprising.

I have a 3-1 record with that schedule.
Wrong...those teams wouldn't have beat us during Spurrier's better years. CF, the best G5 during that time tried...lost.

Reactions: tngamecock#
Seems a little disingenuous. Yes, South Carolina beat UCF in 2013 28-25, that game was a nailbiter. It seems like a major stretch to from saying "South Carolina beat the best G5 team in 2013" to then saying no G5 teams could beat any of Spurrier's better teams. I don't agree. Boise State from 2006 to 2011 was far better than UCF in 2013. Boise State dismantled UGA in 2011 and it wasn't even close. It was an extremely close game between UGA and SCar that same year, which was one of Spurrier's better years. I don't love the transitive property, but it does tell us something about the teams.

2013 UCF only lost the one game, but they had some extremely close games against mediocre teams. They beat 7-5 Penn State by 3 points and 8 of their games were within a TD. 2011 Boise blew every opponent out. 2006 Boise beat Oklahoma with 5 NFL offensive linemen and a running back named Adrian Peterson. 2009 Boise State, which might have won the title if they had been allowed to play, completely manhandled Oregon and held LeGarrette Blount to -.6 yards per rush. He was humiliated which is why he threw that punch. Spurrier's best teams were built around the running game, and while I LOVE Lattimore, he wasn't on the level of Peterson or Blount, who were both NFL superstars.

Those are some huge wins for those Boise teams. You can't rest of your hat on an extremely close game against UCF in 2013 to write off the best G5 teams of that time period.
Good points about Boise. They were fun to watch back then.

But the fact remains that Spurrier never lost those games. We were also UCF's only loss that year. IIRC, that game was only that close at the end because Mike Davis fumbled and led to a a TD for them instead of us. If he doesn't fumble, we go on to a double digit win.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
you are a complete idiot!

Reactions: chucktowncock
You're both right. G5 teams on the whole have like a 20% win percentage against P5 teams. But there are some G5 teams that would beat most South Carolina teams. I'd argue Boise State and TCU (before they joined the Big XII) would smoke any South Carolina team, including the Spurrier years. Boise beat a few elite P5 teams and didn't lose to any of them during that stretch. TCU did the same, and beat Clemson the year they made the ACC championship. Boise and TCU were some awesome teams. UCF of recent years was really, really good too.

But while he was entirely correct, ECU is not one of those teams. As people have said, they've been a terrible G5 team, not the team with the highest winning percentage ever like that Boise team. If ECU were to win, I wont be ready to fire Beamer, as we need to give leeway, but it will be extremely surprising.

I have a 3-1 record with that schedule.
The best of those best Boise St teams might have beaten the Spurrier Gamecocks but on a whole I think those SC teams would have gotten the better of them, especially the 2010, 2011 and 2012 teams, especially with an uninjured Marcus Lattimore. We would have dominated the LOS. BS had a pretty offense but I would have loved to have seen Clowney barreling down on Kellen Moore.

ADVERTISEMENT