ADVERTISEMENT

Preferred weapon

FCB 2013 treble

Dec 14, 2016
295970355_478795647580418_7780939936174503926_n.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Fitzwell
Dads belt was called the black snake. Momma definitely had the wooden spoon. That was her weapon of choice.
Have you ever folded a leather belt over, grabbed the ends, brought them together, then pulled them apart with a loud "SNAP"? When I was a kid my dad used to do that moments before using it on me. The snap sound was terrifying!

I had to go get my own “switch” to get popped by!! I learned, get the thick ones!!
That's funny, so did I. I wonder if that bush I had to get a switch from is still at our old house. I'm pretty sure everyone had one of those in their yard back then

Reactions: cockofdawn
I'd have to go to my dad's room and pick out a belt. He'd make me wait for 10 or 20 minutes first. He wanted me to think about what I had done. I never took a whipping that I didn't deserve and I am thankful that he taught me right from wrong.

Too bad spankings are now taboo, or illegal, or forbidden now, whatever you want to call it. IMO, a lot of the problems we now have can be linked to the lack of discipline and consequences for your actions.
Anyone here who had corporal punishment at home as a child who can say they're not a better person for it?

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Too bad spankings are now taboo, or illegal, or forbidden now, whatever you want to call it. IMO, a lot of the problems we now have can be linked to the lack of discipline and consequences for your actions.
Anyone here who had corporal punishment at home as a child who can say they're not a better person for it?
Funny thing is if I was a kid today, I'd probably choose the whipp'n over losing my tech stuff for a week or something like that but they dont get that option

Last edited:
Reactions: importcock

I think I had only 2-3 "spankings" growing up. I really only remember 1 and it wasn't that bad.

I have to admit- I don't think it helped or mattered.

I stayed with my grandma in the summers when I was from about 5 years old to about 10 or so. She lived like 200 yards away from my house. She tried to hit me with a "switch" off a tree many times but I would run outside until she calmed down. Her answer to most everything was wanting to take a swat at me. I loved her to death but that was her default position on everything.

I didn't spank my own kids. I had one instance where I was about to spank my middle child. He was about 5. As I was getting ready to do it, he pleaded for me "not to hit him" and I realized that my children were interpreting a spanking not as punishment- but me "hitting them"

So I didn't do it and re-evaluated my situation and decided I'd pursue other means and it worked out fine for our family. That same child is super responsible and is as much a rule follower as anyone in our family.

I did have a friend that believed in spanking pretty strongly- even his teenage son. Once when his son made particularly bad decision, he told his son he was going to spank him as punishment but that he was going to wait until he calmed down. He explained to him that he didn't want to spank him in anger. But he would be doing it when he calmed down. I guess his son thought he meant a few hours later.

Well, about a week goes by and his son asks about the spanking. My friend told him that he was still going to get the spanking but he hadn't calmed down enough yet to give it. After about another week, his son came back to him begging him to go ahead and give him the spanking because he couldn't stand it anymore and wanted to get it over with. He got the spanking- much less harsh in reality than in his mind. Afterwards, my friend explained exactly why he got the spanking. If you are going to give one, that seems like a good way to give it. It's not for me, but it worked for him.

Last edited:

I actually think there is a correlation between corporal punishment and better behavior in children and adults - but not necessarily because of the nature of corporal punishment itself. It can be any kind of consistent discipline. Consistency seems to be the key as any number of disciplinary avenues seem to work.

I actually think there is a correlation between corporal punishment and better behavior in children and adults - but not necessarily because of the nature of corporal punishment itself. It can be any kind of consistent discipline. Consistency seems to be the key as any number of disciplinary avenues seem to work.

Yep. The worst punishment my parents could hand down to me was making me work outside in my dad’s barn as punishment , especially in winter.

I would have taken a belt any day over that - and my dad knew it.

Repercussions matter. Consiquences matter. They can come in many forms imo. The important thing is for them to be effective because ineffective ones are probably no better than none at all.

Reactions: bayrooster
Repercussions matter. Consiquences matter. They can come in many forms imo. The important thing is for them to be effective because ineffective ones are probably no better than none at all.
I agree and I think consistency is important. You can consistently put them in a time out or have a sweet conversation with them about how what they did was wrong and it will do nothing. At the very least the consequence should be unpleasant enough to make them not want to do whatever it was again if only to avoid the punishment. I know in my case growing up the principals paddle fit that mold but I'm sure other forms of discipline can be equally effective. Honestly if parents would take away their electronics for a week or a month and not relent it would probably be pretty effective. These kids live with a phone in their face from the time they're about 3 yo or less and they don't like to be without them.

Reactions: bucketdad
You may not have to spank them now - just take away their phone if they have one, or keep their TV off. This is a killer to them.

Reactions: bucketdad
ADVERTISEMENT