ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty sad how our football program is now perceived

I'm almost 70. I hope to live a good while longer. My health, thank God, is good. I'm prepared to go but not ready. There's still too much I would like to see happen in my grandchildren's lives. But I fear that, even if I'm vouchsafed a couple of more decades, I will pass from here with 1984 being the closest we ever came to playing for the championship in my lifetime.

Last edited:
I'm almost 70. I hope to live a good while longer. My health, thank God, is good. I'm prepared to go but not ready. There's still too much I would like to see happen in my grandchildren's lives, But I fear that, even if I'm vouchsafed a couple of more decades, I will pass from here with 1984 being the closest we ever came to playing for the championship in my lifetime.

Damn.

Reactions: gamecockblack
I'm almost 70. I hope to live a good while longer. My health, thank God, is good. I'm prepared to go but not ready. There's still too much I would like to see happen in my grandchildren's lives, But I fear that, even if I'm vouchsafed a couple of more decades, I will pass from here with 1984 being the closest we ever came to playing for the championship in my lifetime.

I don’t get it, especially after what you said. Why do you then keep supporting RT and WM? These two will never get it done.

I would love to win a Conference Championship in my lifetime. I'm 41, I hope one day we can get out of the SEC before I die. Playing in a Conference we can't win sucks.
I have to agree. We came into this conference with no equity, and now we are upside down. I wasn’t alive when we left the ACC but I’m intrigued by a yearly matchup with GT, NC State, UVA, WF, UNC, etc., and for much of our history those were the teams we played.

Death is a guarantee in life .. you can add that one also

I share this same fear and I am in my early 40s
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Bless Dawn Staley, for giving me & us something to claim and be proud of.

We do not have the WILL to win as other university’s who win nattys have. Everyone is on board from the President of the university on down. Thus we will never win one.

Caslen wants to win, and badly. He wants to beat Clemson. Unfortunately, he has realized that he has run up against some powerful forces that back RT. It is not like they (the RT backers) want to lose to Clemson, it is just that Ray has them in his pocket (at least for now). Two or three more losing football seasons and even that can change. Right now we are in an almighty hole.

Ray's mantra has been patience. patience, patience. Moreover, Ray is out of his depth. Unfortunately when you have an inept coach every year you degrade your program even further. Schools that want to win make swift cuts, if they have to. Look at how quickly Swinney got rid of his D coordinator after the loss to West Virginia.

We do not have the WILL to win as other university’s who win nattys have. Everyone is on board from the President of the university on down. Thus we will never win one.

Bingo. I was a chatting with a friend of mine a while back who is a Clemson grad/fan and he gave that as the primary reason for the difference between the fortunes of our two programs. At Clemson EVERYONE is on the same page as far as winning...the BOT, the president, athletic director, the head coach, all staff, players, fans, etc. Not the case here.

Our BOT really holds us back.

Not many flagship state universities who continually get beat by their In state rivals. Yet here we are. And it’s going over 10 straight you can take that to the bank. However this thread likely isn’t here if we never left the ACC. Although Spurrier doesn’t come here in that scenario, I gotta think we would have 1 or 2 conference titles in the last 40 years.
By the way we still haven’t beaten Auburn or A&M. Terrible!

This thread is why I hope Gamecock Football / athletics isn’t the greatest pursuit anyone has in their life. That’s a sad way to live.

Greatest no, but when you have nearly 40 years in it, you can't escape it.
Personally
Faith, Family, Career/self, but my University is up there. My pursuit of Golf & Fishing provides the mild distractions but I can't do those enough to wipe out the rest of the goings ons

Caslen wants to win, and badly. He wants to beat Clemson. Unfortunately, he has realized that he has run up against some powerful forces that back RT. It is not like they (the RT backers) want to lose to Clemson, it is just that Ray has them in his pocket (at least for now). Two or three more losing football seasons and even that can change. Right now we are in an almighty hole.

Ray's mantra has been patience. patience, patience. Moreover, Ray is out of his depth. Unfortunately when you have an inept coach every year you degrade your program even further. Schools that want to win make swift cuts, if they have to. Look at how quickly Swinney got rid of his D coordinator after the loss to West Virginia.
This is why I don't think we can survive several more years of Muschamp. Between his lack of winning and our immediate rivals killing it in a national level, it could take more than a decade to turn things around. By that point, many fans could be checked out after years of apathy.

He needs to win now or be gone.

Gave up 70 points to a very average WV team. I wouldn't crown Dablow as a coaching genius.

I'm 10 years behind you...and remember 1984 vividly. But did you ever think in your lifetime we would win back to back baseball titles? Or even less likely make it to the final 4 in Men's basketball?

We have all the ability and tools to succeed. At the minimum be able to go toe to toe with anyone. But we have horrible leadership and decision makers holding us back. The football program will continue to be mediocre as long as Ray Tanner and the current BOT are making decisions or lack there of. It’s a toxic good old boy establishment that needs to be ran off.

I even starting to think that what we have seen out of the Muschamp regime is what we get. I don’t have much faith that they can exactly “out coach” another football staff.

I hate saying that about those employees. But I’m a Gamecock to the core and want the football program to be one to be proud of and exciting to watch. But under those people its stagnant.

Last edited:
I'm 10 years behind you...and remember 1984 vividly. But did you ever think in your lifetime we would win back to back baseball titles? Or even less likely make it to the final 4 in Men's basketball?
No, but those nuts aren't quite as tough to crack as coming through the SEC in football. Football involves more people, greater chemistry, and more moving parts. It's hard as the dickens for a middling program to get together enough of what it needs to become eminent.

Reactions: 01fatboy
No, but those nuts aren't quite as tough to crack as coming through the SEC in football. Football involves more people, greater chemistry, and more moving parts. It's hard as the dickens for a middling program to get together enough of what it needs to become eminent.
And this is why I have a love/hate relationship with Spurrier. He had it in the grasp of his hands and let it slip away

This thread is why I hope Gamecock Football / athletics isn’t the greatest pursuit anyone has in their life. That’s a sad way to live.
I've not read anywhere on this thread that Gamecock Athletics is anyone's greatest pursuit in life. Fans I know like me it's a release. We put several thousands of dollars in the program. Winning is the return we look for.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT