ADVERTISEMENT

Professional sports-will you be watching or supporting?

Which sports will you be watching or supporting considering everything political going on

• NFL

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • NBA

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • MLB

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • None, I'm done

Votes: 50 54.9%

• Total voters
I haven’t watched the NBA or MLB for years and I don’t know that I’m sports deprived enough to start now but as soon as a football gets snapped I’ll be watching.

I'll give each of them a chance unless they try to woke me to sleep. I suspect they will, and I'll find something else to do. I haven't watched ESPN or FS1 in over a month, so it's not that big a loss. I'll give those two another try in a couple of weeks.

I'll watch some NHL and PGA. Aside from that, I may watch the MLB World Series depending on who's in it. That's about it. Been that way with me for decades.

I'll watch them all. Why not? I've been a big fan of each league at different points in my life. I'll support them like I've supported my local restaurants in this time. And a little normalcy, even if it's abnormal in its presentation, will be nice.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I will still follow the NFL, but I won't consume their content. I will stay up to date through phone calls, newspapers, drawings, and reenactments.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
I will still follow the NFL, but I won't consume their content. I will stay up to date through phone calls, newspapers, drawings, and reenactments.
I noticed the other day you posted you would like to be in the Cubs ground crew. Wrigley is quite an experience. It's one of the few places that might still have atmosphere with no fans in it

I noticed the other day you posted you would like to be in the Cubs ground crew. Wrigley is quite an experience. It's one of the few places that might still have atmosphere with no fans in it
I am sure the neighborhood will still be lively - certainly moreso than a stadium in a parking lot.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
I will also be watching but more so to follow certain players. Anytime a former Gamecock plays, I usually try to watch.

I cannot stand the protest and political garbage that is sometimes spewed. However I can separate out some of the players that I like and watch them.

I’ll watch MLB and NFL as often as I can. I’m ready for live action competition. Closest thing I’ve watched to completion lately is Floor is Fire; a Netflix show. And, buzzards fighting over roadkill.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
MLB is just boring to me. No more NBA or NFL, I want to watch sports and not a political protest. You left out MLS, which is the only thing left to watch without a bunch of protesting.

I still have F1 racing, I don’t care about NASCAR but I won’t watch it after the stupid noose drama they made up.

Reactions: Gaimcock
The European Soccer I enjoy has been going for about a month now sans crowd. It definitely takes away from the game. The players don't seem to be terribly bothered by it, I must say. But it certainly lacks some pizzazz. Yeah, even tho it's soccer, it has some pep.

I have a choice and it's not to be told what a terrible person I am and that the police and the US are evil and terrible also. Sports is not the venue but it will come from the introduction, the announcers and commercials. No thanks.

Reactions: Elgringo
I won't watch a minute of any of them. I stopped watching the NFL for a while when the kneeling started a few years back. They do that again, I'll not only stop watching the NFL for good, I'll try and stop buying anything from major sponsors.

Sports used to be about getting away from all this political shit. One reason football is primarily played on the weekend. People are off of work, looking for an outlet from the news, issues, etc. You want to protest, protest on your dime, not the fans. There is plenty of time and ways to protest whatever you're protesting. Frankly I don't give a damn about that shit for the three hours I watch, and or buy tickets to attend. I came to watch blocking, tackling, strategy, support my team/school and the excitement this all creates. The Athletes politics can go on the shelf before, during, and immediately after the games. Pro athletes are paid millions for their abilities, not a bad gig if you are good enough. With social media, post game press conferences, ESPN, NFL Network, and other sports stations there is PLENTY of time to discuss issues off the field, if one is so inclined!

I'll not check my morals and values at the gate so that I can be entertained by the NFL. Some can, it's clearly a personal choice.

When and if Carolina players start taking a knee, it will be devastating to me.

I’ll probably watch NFL. I simply LOVE watching football. I’ll tune in after the coin toss and national anthem theatrics........

I have been watching Major League Fishing, The Bass Pro Tour the last several weeks on Discovery Channel. I really like the format with Catch, Weigh and Release with a Leader Board that is constantly changing like golf.

Last edited:
I tried to watch the Yankees/Mets game last night. I was asleep by the fourth inning. Football and Basketball are just the only sports that can grab my attention and keep it for 2-3 hours. People need to keep the politics in perspective. In the late 60's, we had Muhammad Ali and the refusal to enter the military. You had athletes like Bill Russell, Jim Brown, and Lew Alcindor supporting Ali. You had the Olympics protests of 1968. People forget that our top basketball player, Lew Alcindor, refused to play, The Black players that did were considered "Uncle Toms". There were the Black Power protests at the medal ceremonies. You had athletes changing their names in the 70's. You even had a National Anthem Boycott in basketball in the early 90's. The 80's were a period of relative calm in sports, but was it a coincidence that most Black people rooted for the Lakers and Sixers and most white people rooted for the Celtics during that time. So, the politics of race has always been something that bubbles to the surface every so often. Many people take it too personal. If you are a good person and do your best to treat people right, nobody is pointing a finger at you and you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: wentzel25
I find professional sports boring. Once of panthers started stinking it up, I had my Sundays back to fish. It's been a strange blessing.

I can't watch it indefinitely, except for the majors or the occasional regular event that is particularly compelling.

i feel better particularly when they miss short putts, 6 feet or less. I’ve been particularly consistent of late, but I missed one 3’ par putt that still stands out a few rounds ago. I shot 86 at Aiken Country club, and easily could have been 83 or better. I fell in love with the course & the greens are particularly impressive & challenging. I also played hole 14 terribly, and I am so ready to play it again.

Reactions: king ward
Oh & most sports are better than nearly all “TV”.
This hasn’t changed for me since about 10 or so when my cartoon viewing days declined significantly

Reactions: Gaimcock
I am going to try again with the Cubs/White Sox tonight. It is just good to have some of our team sports back. It is like getting a piece of normal back in your life. So, even if baseball is not in my top sports, I will try for a week until the NBA comes back.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT