ADVERTISEMENT

Program Changing Strategy for any school

CRBAGS

Jan 20, 2002
Here is a simple 5 part plan for any school to turn a problem into a long term power program. It isn't rocket science
First, it is a 10 year plan, not 5. The 1st 3 years a coach has to get to a 7-8 win result with the players on hand. He has to prove he can coach and win the games expected. The next 3 years must show marked progress as in at least 2 double digit win seasons playing toe-to-toe with the big boys. Finally, the last 3-4 years must be all double digit wins, playing for conference titles, because you won your division, playing in major bowls etc..
Second, they coach must have coordinators that produce/are coveted by other schools because they deliver (Ellis Johnson). They must also develop young coaching talent and constantly replenish the coaching cupboard.
Third, they must have University leadership and Board support. Yes that is easier with winning, but patience early, backing through controversies and most of all, money for growth were needed are all critical dynamics necessary for program building.
Fourth, that coach and his staff have to be able to sell their vision like selling Ice to an Eskimo. They have to convince HS coaches, parents, the media, the alumni, former players, the community and the constant influence of fresh talent, they know where they are going and how to take others with them.
Last, they must have a vision for helping the vast majority of players have a meaningful future after college football, becsuse they won't play pro ball. In other words the players and their families have to know the coaches truly care about them, their life and their future with/without football.
Spurrier I think executed most, if not all of the 5. Dabo is good on all 5. I think the surrounding coaches in our region are tougher to battle in recruiting today than when Spurrier was here, but he still did it.
Both Clemson and Carolina were better with Dabo and his program taking on Spurrier and his program. Different, but both were/are successful. College football noticed this rivalry and enjoyed it.
I think the biggest problem USC currently has isn't ignorance in what it takes, it simply haso the wrong man leading the program.
I don't see Muschamp beating Clemson in the next two years, thus he will be gone. Then, the effort starts with someone else.
With the existing SEC challenges along with the new quality coaches at UNC, Louisville, FSU, Georgia Tech, Miami, etc the job is much tougher.
Getting back to the glory years of the ole ball coach may take a while longer than desired.
Just my opinion.

Here is a simple 5 part plan for any school to turn a problem into a long term power program. It isn't rocket science
First, it is a 10 year plan, not 5. The 1st 3 years a coach has to get to a 7-8 win result with the players on hand. He has to prove he can coach and win the games expected. The next 3 years must show marked progress as in at least 2 double digit win seasons playing toe-to-toe with the big boys. Finally, the last 3-4 years must be all double digit wins, playing for conference titles, because you won your division, playing in major bowls etc..
Second, they coach must have coordinators that produce/are coveted by other schools because they deliver (Ellis Johnson). They must also develop young coaching talent and constantly replenish the coaching cupboard.
Third, they must have University leadership and Board support. Yes that is easier with winning, but patience early, backing through controversies and most of all, money for growth were needed are all critical dynamics necessary for program building.
Fourth, that coach and his staff have to be able to sell their vision like selling Ice to an Eskimo. They have to convince HS coaches, parents, the media, the alumni, former players, the community and the constant influence of fresh talent, they know where they are going and how to take others with them.
Last, they must have a vision for helping the vast majority of players have a meaningful future after college football, becsuse they won't play pro ball. In other words the players and their families have to know the coaches truly care about them, their life and their future with/without football.
Spurrier I think executed most, if not all of the 5. Dabo is good on all 5. I think the surrounding coaches in our region are tougher to battle in recruiting today than when Spurrier was here, but he still did it.
Both Clemson and Carolina were better with Dabo and his program taking on Spurrier and his program. Different, but both were/are successful. College football noticed this rivalry and enjoyed it.
I think the biggest problem USC currently has isn't ignorance in what it takes, it simply haso the wrong man leading the program.
I don't see Muschamp beating Clemson in the next two years, thus he will be gone. Then, the effort starts with someone else.
With the existing SEC challenges along with the new quality coaches at UNC, Louisville, FSU, Georgia Tech, Miami, etc the job is much tougher.
Getting back to the glory years of the ole ball coach may take a while longer than desired.
Just my opinion.

i think the problem is a lot higher up than Coach Muschamp

Reactions: redrogers
Just my opinion.
No offense but I don't think you're breaking any new ground here. You've just described what every AD and fan base expects: A program that is improving, competing for titles, a coach who is a successful recruiter, has an eye for coaching talent and can develop players. At the time he hired him, I'm sure Tanner thought Muschamp could deliver on every one of those.

Step 6: Your AD and school administration must hold the coaches accountable for Steps 1-5 and be willing to make changes as needed. Otherwise, your program will stay on the porch and never take a step!

Step 7: Build luxury seating at your stadium to encourage the big donors to empty more of their pockets during 4-8 seasons....That will fix everything!

Our problem starts with the bot. The right people can turn this around. I hate to use Clemson as the example but you have to give them credit. They are all on the same page and absolutely want to win. Our board is totally political, completely. Tanner is the product of that “good ole boy” trustee backslapping. He is not good at his job but the board didn’t care. Muschamp is the same situation, just one wrung down. Somebody has to make the decision that we want winning to be the priority. Would hope the board would be that entity.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Fair reply, but as I stated at the beginning, This isn't Rocket Science. My point wasn't to offer something new but to point out: it is doable but will take a time, it has been done at USC recently, so repeating it is possible, it takes committment from the top down. As some of the others here have stated, it may indeed be more of a "top" issue at USC than the other dynamics I pointed out.

That is something I have little knowledge of at USC. If the USC BOT is the issue, a Power Program will not occur or be sustained until that is first addressed, in my humble opinion.

Reactions: Goose cock
Our problem starts with the bot. The right people can turn this around. I hate to use Clemson as the example but you have to give them credit. They are all on the same page and absolutely want to win. Our board is totally political, completely. Tanner is the product of that “good ole boy” trustee backslapping. He is not good at his job but the board didn’t care. Muschamp is the same situation, just one wrung down. Somebody has to make the decision that we want winning to be the priority. Would hope the board would be that entity.
We ARE next door to the State House...I believe this is what has been killing us for so long. Heck, look at the Haslem hire. That was considered a political hire by many, if not most.

Step 7: Build luxury seating at your stadium to encourage the big donors to empty more of their pockets during 4-8 seasons....That will fix everything!
Join SEC and that money will put us light years ahead of Clemson

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT