ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed Change to OT in CFB

Yeah, I'm not sure about all that. I dont really like the idea of a hard-fought game coming down to a forced 2-point conversion. I'd keep the rules as they are, but start the teams outside of field goal range, say the 45 yard line, so that making a field goal is a real accomplishment. It may take more time to score from the 45, but I dont see those games going to 3+ overtimes.

NCAA to propose changing CFB OT rules. On 2nd OT teams will be required to go for 2 pt conversion. If there is a 3rd OT, teams will no longer start at 25 yard line, but have to attempt a 2 point conversion.
At this point I'm not sure where I stand on this change, not that the NCAA cares about my opinion..

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/football-rules-committee-recommends-tweak-overtime-rules#:~:text=The NCAA Football Rules Committee,reaches a second overtime period.
Not really sure why they are looking into this, just seems petty. Most college football games don't go past 2 OT's anyways. I would be curious to know if they are looking into this based on a small percentage of games over a 10 to 20 year period. The longest one i can think of is the ole miss and lsu? a few years ago that went 7 ot.

Yeah, I'm not sure about all that. I dont really like the idea of a hard-fought game coming down to a forced 2-point conversion. I'd keep the rules as they are, but start the teams outside of field goal range, say the 45 yard line, so that making a field goal is a real accomplishment. It may take more time to score from the 45, but I dont see those games going to 3+ overtimes.
I always like the idea of starting from the 35. You're just far enough to be outside of normal FG range. Right now teams don't even have to make one yard to be within most kickers range, while the offense essentially only needs 2 1st down conversions

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Just win before overtime;). Not a big deal to me. Being more consistent on calls that are on the books and making the refs more responsible is more important to me. How about forcing the refs to attend a press conference after the game?

Reactions: rhewredi
NCAA to propose changing CFB OT rules. On 2nd OT teams will be required to go for 2 pt conversion. If there is a 3rd OT, teams will no longer start at 25 yard line, but have to attempt a 2 point conversion.
At this point I'm not sure where I stand on this change, not that the NCAA cares about my opinion..

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...es Committee,reaches a second overtime period.
I think they did all they needed to do when they set it up the way it is now.

Just do sudden death and be done with it. Have a coin toss, whoever wins gets to choose whether to kick or receive. If a team scores a touchdown on their first possession game over. If they kick a field goal, other teams gets a shot and if they score a touchdown game over. If they make a field goal and tie, next team to score a touchdown wins.

Reactions: king ward
Home team gets choice of O or D before 1st OT, alternating possessions after that.

1st and 2nd OT
1st and *goal from the 25. You have 4 downs to either get a TD or FG. XP or 2pt options.

3rd and 4th OT
1st and *goal from the 25. TD or FG. 2pt conv only.

5th and 6th OT
1st and *goal from the 25. No FG allowed. XP or 2pt options.

7th OT and beyond
1st and *goal from the 25. No FG. 2pt conv only.

5 minute breaks between OT's for rest.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/football-rules-committee-recommends-tweak-overtime-rules#:~:text=The NCAA Football Rules Committee,reaches a second overtime period.

More much ado about nothing. Rarely do games go more than 2 OTs. Whenever there are multiple OTs, it makes news and then everyone loses the exact rates of comparison because of the one overblown game. Arguably, you could tweak it to eliminate all OT extra point kicks but the data doesn't show it's out of control.

There were 21 Games that went to OT in 2021. Half ended after one OT and only two were more than 2 OTs (none were 5 OTs or more). There were 33 total OTs in these games for a 1.57 OT average when OT is used.

Baylor at West Virginia (2 OT)
Clemson at Notre Dame (2 OT)
La-Lafayette at Georgia State (1 OT)
Liberty v. Coastal Carolina (1 OT)
Middle Tennessee at Rice (2 OT)
Minnesota at Maryland (1 OT)
Minnesota at Wisconsin (1 OT)
Mississippi at Kentucky (1 OT)
Penn State at Indiana (1 OT)
Pitt at Boston College (1 OT)
Rutgers at Maryland (1 OT)
SMU at Tulane (1 OT)
Stanford at UCLA (2 OT)
Texas at Oklahoma State (1 OT)
Texas at Texas Tech (1 OT)
Tulane at Tulsa (2 OT)
UAB at Louisiana Tech (2 OT)
UTSA at Texas State (2 OT)
Wyoming at Nevada (1 OT)

Michigan at Rutgers (3 OT)
Texas v. Oklahoma (4 OT) (Texas was involved in 3 OT games during the whole season -- it's their fault)

Simple, Each team takes over at the 50. Then the 40 in second overtime, and in the 3rd and beyond, teams start at the 30 and must score a TD w/ a 2 pt attempt, no FGs, no PAT.

I just don't understand why they refuse to implement the NFL OT rules which are far less convoluted.

The CFB OT rules are bush league garbage. “Tweaking” them a little does nothing to solve the problem at all. OT should be sudden death- played the same way the game has been played the whole rest of the game. First to break the tie wins. Period. That is how OT should work in CFB, the NFL, Soccer (honestly who really gives a rip about soccer, just sayin)... Virtually all sports should play OT the way the game has gone the whole time, awarding the win to the team who breaks the tie. It does not do anything to switch to some new format, new rules in OT when trying to determine who the better FB team is. PLAY FOOTBALL to figure that out, not whatever moronic version of FB the game becomes once we hit OT in college.

Agreed. OT Should be used exclusively for playoff games. i.e., a real 16-team FBS playoff system. And conference championship games are not playoff games for these purposes. Nor is the national title game. Learning to share is a good thing.

But isn't the national title game a part of the playoffs?

Back to the original point, we're on the same page. Only have OT when you have to have a winner - such as advancing in the playoffs. Otherwise, within the current system there is so much more strategy when a tie is on the line. Will it count against you with the committee? Is somehow kicking an extra point for a tie at the end of a game going to be better than taking a loss? Will the committee look down on teams that don't go for the win?

All ties will not be considered the same, just as all loses are not. So is a close loss to a top 25 team better than a tie with Vandy? These are the questions that will keep coaches and fans alike up all night and be great for driving conversation (and interest) to the sport.

Otherwise OT is just a gimmick that brings a game to a conclusion, but isn't the game of football. Why create a different game, to bring another one to a close.

I just don't understand why they refuse to implement the NFL OT rules which are far less convoluted.

Idea that a different OT format will result in a quicker resolution and less chance of injury, etc. Many college OTs are less than 10 total plays, which would be much faster than 10 game minutes under the NFL rules. There will always be that one game that runs 4 to 6 OTs and takes forever but that will be about 1% of the college OTs.

But isn't the national title game a part of the playoffs?

Back to the original point, we're on the same page. Only have OT when you have to have a winner - such as advancing in the playoffs. Otherwise, within the current system there is so much more strategy when a tie is on the line. Will it count against you with the committee? Is somehow kicking an extra point for a tie at the end of a game going to be better than taking a loss? Will the committee look down on teams that don't go for the win?

All ties will not be considered the same, just as all loses are not. So is a close loss to a top 25 team better than a tie with Vandy? These are the questions that will keep coaches and fans alike up all night and be great for driving conversation (and interest) to the sport.

Otherwise OT is just a gimmick that brings a game to a conclusion, but isn't the game of football. Why create a different game, to bring another one to a close.

I favour OT only when one team has to advance. There's no advancing past the championship game.

I can't understand why anyone would ever go back to having ties. There's a reason they were referred to as sister-kissers.

I'm all for tweaking the existing OT rules by starting them outside of FG range, no extra points and -- for the love of God -- stop with the midfield conferences between every single OT. Everyone knows what the rules are. There's no need to rehash them every time.

I'm even OK with going with the NEW NFL model. But NOT sudden death.

They could do it like in soccer. Each kicker tries a kick from the 40, 45, 50, etc. until one of them misses. No pass rush, just the snapper, holder and kicker. If they both miss from the same distance, call it a tie.
No wear and tear on the other players.

You want an OT format that lowers the risk of injury and decides the outcome in a hurry? Go back to when I played in high school (early 1970’s in the state of NC). The ball was placed at the 50 yd. line. Toss the coin to see who goes first (an obvious disadvantage). Each team runs one play. Whichever side of the 50 the ball is on at the end of the two plays decides the winner (the team that moved it farther).

Did anyone else here ever play in one of those tiebreakers?

This has nothing to do w the overtime thing. But I wanted to let ya know. In one of my brackets I have Texas winning it all.

It is a strange team. I could see them bounced early or go a long way. Very Jekyl/Hyde kind of team. It does have senior guards that are cool as cucumbers in the clutch and some talent inside and at the sixth man. But I have seen games without sufficient effort.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT