ADVERTISEMENT

Prosser's BBQ- Murrells Inlet

I've been but it's been a year or so. I thought it was pretty good for a buffet. We enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JComp
I've been but it's been a year or so. I thought it was pretty darn good for a buffet. We enjoyed it.

Thanks. Staying in Murrell's Inlet next week. Not a ton of good BBQ joints in the area. This doesn't look like a true BBQ restaurant, but the pics people post of the food look pretty darn tasty.

Would really like to get some good BBQ while down in SC, but hard to find around there.

Reactions: roosterbell
Thanks. Staying in Murrell's Inlet next week. Not a ton of good BBQ joints in the area. This doesn't look like a true BBQ restaurant, but the pics people post of the food look pretty darn tasty.

Would really like to get some good BBQ while down in SC, but hard to find around there.
Go to Pop Pops BBQ on Business 17

Reactions: nikolas22 and JComp
No Disrespect intended to Prossers, but its hard to keep me away from the Hot-Fish Club. OUtside is beautiful and laid back, inside is a little more swanky and their grits are amazing. Usually have fresh catch and multiple local sourced sea-food, and a solid steak, but for every steak I have had there (3 or 4) , I have probably had 30 or more seafood entrees

No Disrespect intended to Prossers, but its hard to keep me away from the Hot-Fish Club. OUtside is beautiful and laid back, inside is a little more swanky and their grits are amazing. Usually have fresh catch and multiple local sourced sea-food, and a solid steak, but for every steak I have had there (3 or 4) , I have probably had 30 or more seafood entrees
Hot Fish is fun in the fall when they do the bonfires too.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04

For BBQ it is best to drive the hour to Charleston. Lewis’ BBQ is excellent. There is also Hometeam, Rodney Scott’s (whole hog bbq and James Beard award winner), and Poogan’s smokehouse. All are good!

It’s worth the ride and then walk around downtown before going to get dessert at Saffron’s Bakery.

For BBQ it is best to drive the hour to Charleston. Lewis’ BBQ is excellent. There is also Hometeam, Rodney Scott’s (whole hog bbq and James Beard award winner), and Poogan’s smokehouse. All are good!

It’s worth the ride and then walk around downtown before going to get dessert at Saffron’s Bakery.

Definitely would be worth the drive! Lived in Charleston for a few years after grad school. I'd be up for that if it was just me, but my wife is in healthcare and wants to limit our excursions as much as possible.......:rolleyes:

I’m not sure why anyone would be looking for BBQ on the coast when you have an abundance of fresh seafood available.

Oh, I plan to get my fill of seafood as well. But we leave near the Chesapeake Bay, so seafood isn't a novelty for us. There's no decent BBQ up here though.

Reactions: agantt
Scott’s BBQ in Hemingway and/or Rodney Scott’s in Charleston is the best BBQ ever. Great people too. That being said, I passed by Prosser’s last Sunday and my wife and I were amazed at the number of cars there with the Covid still out there. So it must be pretty good or maybe the Grand Strand doesn’t have a lot of good BBQ joints.

Reactions: FGF Supercock
Another good bbq option would be Hog Heaven on Rt 17 heading to Charleston on your right. Just past Pawleys Island and they have buffet with excellent bbq (unsauced - but 3 sauces on table) and some of the best fried chicken and banana pudding anywhere. Get there before 5:30 p.m. and it’s about $2 cheaper.
Hog Heaven is good. The fried chicken there is some of the best I've had. In fact, it's so good they opened a fried chicken place in Surfside

Last edited:
Reactions: luvmygamecocks
Thanks! That looks really good as well. Was hoping to get some good mustard-based BBQ, but just not as big in that area.
Two locations for Pop Pops. 707 and Murrell's Inlet. Probably the best down here without going to Pawleys. I live a mile from the MI location

Another good bbq option would be Hog Heaven on Rt 17 heading to Charleston on your right. Just past Pawleys Island and they have buffet with excellent bbq (unsauced - but 3 sauces on table) and some of the best fried chicken and banana pudding anywhere. Get there before 5:30 p.m. and it’s about $2 cheaper.
Their all you can eat oysters pretty good too. They bring them out on what looks like an old tin trash can lid.

Reactions: cockyferg

You need to go down towards Pawleys and go to the BBQ place down there. Called Hog Heaven. It's Really good. Also they have excellent fried chicken . Also a buffett

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD

Hot Fish Club is the best in that area.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Scott’s BBQ in Hemingway and/or Rodney Scott’s in Charleston is the best BBQ ever. Great people too. That being said, I passed by Prosser’s last Sunday and my wife and I were amazed at the number of cars there with the Covid still out there. So it must be pretty good or maybe the Grand Strand doesn’t have a lot of good BBQ joints.
This. Avoid the traffic & go to Hemingway.

Reactions: importcock

Pawleys ain’t that far, but I don’t plan to eat Q next week:).......where do u live? Truth be told NC kicks r butt (get it butt:), when it comes to pig.

Thanks for the tips! I'm familiar with the stuff from the midlands and upstate, but never really found anything in the MB area.

Online reviews are crap. Dickey's BBQ Pit in MB gets 4.5/5 stars. Dickey's is a chain that serves soggy BBQ that sits in a warmer all day. If Dickey's is almost 5* BBQ, then I hate BBQ.

Do they have a mustard sauce option? Or is the bbq already in sauce?
Somewhere between little to no sauce on their the pork. Mustard, tomato and vinegar based sauces on the table. Im a mustard guy for the most part, but their vinegar is better than most and goes well with their pork imo.

Somewhere between little to no sauce on their the pork. Mustard, tomato and vinegar based sauces on the table. Im a mustard guy for the most part, but their vinegar is better than most and goes well with their pork imo.

Great...thanks!

Reactions: bucketdad
Great...thanks!
Hog Heaven is probably your best bet if you"re staying in Murrell's Inlet. Not that far away and absolutely worth the drive. I'd maybe hit Mission on your way back north. Might want to go in for that tho. Almost have too many sauce choices... but they'll let you sample a lot of them.

If you're staying in Murrells Inlet and want BBQ, Hog Heaven is only a 15 minute drive south on 17. It's about 2 miles south of the south causeway in Pawleys Island on your right. I have heard good things about Pop Pops too. just have not gone there yet.

Hog Heaven is probably your best bet if you"re staying in Murrell's Inlet. Not that far away and absolutely worth the drive. I'd maybe hit Mission on your way back north. Might want to go in for that tho. Almost have too many sauce choices... but they'll let you sample a lot of them.
If you're staying in Murrells Inlet and want BBQ, Hog Heaven is only a 15 minute drive south on 17. It's about 2 miles south of the south causeway in Pawleys Island on your right. I have heard good things about Pop Pops too. just have not gone there yet.

Hog Heaven seems to be the consensus pick

Pop Pops is good. True Barbecue down the road from there is one of my favorites. Just keep driving down past the school (towards Myrtle) on Socastee Boulevard (where Pop Pop's is located) and you can't miss it. It's a brightly colored hut with grates on the windows, but some of the best barbecue around.

Prosser's is one of my favorites. Their portions are big, service friendly, and food always good. I used to travel a lot as an IT Director, so Prosser's was my Tuesday spot. You can't go wrong there!

There's a few hidden gems in the area.

Hog Heaven is good. Scott's in Hemingway is the best BBQ in SC hands down. None of that mustard sauce in Williamsburg County. I regularly drive from Conway to Hemingway to eat there. They still have Red Rock sodas there too.

I've heard the sides at Prosser's are worthy.

BBQ in SC is like sex. When it's bad it's still good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT