ADVERTISEMENT

Prosser's BBQ- Murrells Inlet

No Disrespect intended to Prossers, but its hard to keep me away from the Hot-Fish Club. OUtside is beautiful and laid back, inside is a little more swanky and their grits are amazing. Usually have fresh catch and multiple local sourced sea-food, and a solid steak, but for every steak I have had there (3 or 4) , I have probably had 30 or more seafood entrees

Thanks for the tip. This was the first place we tried out. Excellent!

Moe’s In Litchfield on 17 is really good as well.
I've wondered about that place. We've stayed in Pawley's many times and have eaten at most restaurants there, but I've never eaten BBQ there. Are there alternatives if someone doesn't want BBQ? My wife's not a big fan.

I've gone to Prosser's for many years and as recently as this past summer. It is delicious. Although I believe they serve you from the buffet these days, HUGE portions. The To-Go plates must weigh 5 pounds. The BBQ is vinegar based and it is delicious, but it is not truly a BBQ place. The seafood, although fried is also really good. Fried oysters can't be beat (not always on the buffet/menu). The country sides are outstanding....collards, mac and cheese, field peas, etc. The fried chicken is also excellent. I'm a big fan. Wear your "eatin pants".

Does anyone know if Lee Prosser has any ownership in Prosser's BBQ? I think Lee played DB for the Gamecocks in the late 70's as a walk-on but didn't stay on the team long.

I've gone to Prosser's for many years and as recently as this past summer. It is delicious. Although I believe they serve you from the buffet these days, HUGE portions. The To-Go plates must weigh 5 pounds. The BBQ is vinegar based and it is delicious, but it is not truly a BBQ place. The seafood, although fried is also really good. Fried oysters can't be beat (not always on the buffet/menu). The country sides are outstanding....collards, mac and cheese, field peas, etc. The fried chicken is also excellent. I'm a big fan. Wear your "eatin pants".

Ah, that's good info. We didn't end up going there, or any BBQ while we were down. The better places all seemed to be buffet and my wife was adamantly against doing any buffet restaurants. I would not have liked vinegar based BBQ anyway. Good to know.

Do they have a mustard sauce option? Or is the bbq already in sauce?

Mustard sauce is an abomination in the eyes of 90% of South Carolinians outside of Lexington. Most of our state is a vinegar based sauce state....as it should be. I don't claim the mustard base. Mustard is reserved for Bratwursts and hot dogs.

Reactions: SCGCock07
Mustard sauce is an abomination in the eyes of 90% of South Carolinians outside of Lexington. Most of our state is a vinegar based sauce state....as it should be. I don't claim the mustard base. Mustard is reserved for Bratwursts and hot dogs.

Weird. I was born in SC and lived there into my early 30s. Born in the midlands, later moved to the upstate and then in the low country for a few years. Ate at multiple BBQ joints everywhere I lived. Never came across vinegar-based, except for one little out of the way joint in Pickens that advertised itself as NC BBQ. The upstate was definitely more tomato-based, but there were still some with mustard. When I lived in Charleston, most of the places I went were mustard-based. I didn't even think whether there would be mustard based or not.

It would have struck me as very weird to go into a BBQ restaurant and have it be vinegar-based. I know there are some that do it (Scott's), but I never found it to be nearly predominant.

In any event, I just prefer the mustard-base. I'm South Carolinian through and and through and the mustard-base sauce is most identified with SC (yeah, yeah, I hear ya Georgia).

Last edited:
Weird. I was born in SC and lived there into my early 30s. Born in the midlands, later moved to the upstate and then in the low country for a few years. Ate at multiple BBQ joints everywhere I lived. Never came across vinegar-based, except for one little out of the way joint in Pickens that advertised itself as NC BBQ. The upstate was definitely more tomato-based, but there were still some with mustard. When I lived in Charleston, most of the places I went were mustard-based. I didn't even think whether there would be mustard based or not.

It would have struck me as very weird to go into a BBQ restaurant and have it be vinegar-based. I know there are some that do it (Scott's), but I never found it to be nearly predominant.

In any event, I just prefer the mustard-base. I'm South Carolinian through and and through and the mustard-base sauce is most identified with SC (yeah, yeah, I hear ya Georgia).

All the cooking shows and BBQ shows call the mustard base South Carolina, but everywhere I went it was tomato or vinegar. I've lived in SC my whole life and the only places that I knew of that served mustard were Maurice's and Ward's BBQ. My dad is from the lowcountry and he grew up on vinegar. I don't hate the flavor of mustard, but hate it on principal because the only places that I have ever seen it with regularity are central SC like Lexington/Columbia area. Everywhere else I've been is vinegar based. Weird that we both grew up in the state and had such different BBQ experiences.

Reactions: JComp
All the cooking shows and BBQ shows call the mustard base South Carolina, but everywhere I went it was tomato or vinegar. I've lived in SC my whole life and the only places that I knew of that served mustard were Maurice's and Ward's BBQ. My dad is from the lowcountry and he grew up on vinegar. I don't hate the flavor of mustard, but hate it on principal because the only places that I have ever seen it with regularity are central SC like Lexington/Columbia area. Everywhere else I've been is vinegar based. Weird that we both grew up in the state and had such different BBQ experiences.

Ha, yep, very weird indeed. I honestly never even thought about it. I just assumed most places were mustard-based b/c that's all I ever saw (except for the upstate, and that was kind of jarring when I moved there and realized there were places in SC that didn't do mustard-based). Your post is the first I've ever heard of vinegar-based being popular in SC. You'd think by random chance I would have stumbled into a few of those over the years. Guess I was just lucky as the vinegar-based is barf to me! :)

BBQ is fascinating.

Reactions: cockyferg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT