ADVERTISEMENT

Proven head coach money.

Pruittmatt44

Jan 3, 2015
I keep reading about how we can offer this coach or that coach money to be our head coach. What I would like is to offer that money to coordinators and position coaches who do the bulk of the coaching. We can bring in whoever we want at head coach but until we have the coaches willing and able to progress our players we won progress forward as a team.

Reactions: ckali7
no.. investing money in not "proven" head coaching names.. but investing money in quality coordinators/position coaches... Ala Brent Venables and Chad Morris.. I think Spurrier's ego is a little too big for that type of strategy..

Steve is now 70 and still calls his own plays. If he was ever going to
relinquish some of his control, he would have done it by now.
Perhaps a 'head coach in waiting' may be a way to go. He is not
the easiest guy to please, and finding someone who is willing to
put up with his micromanaging style will be the trick.

In theory, it makes some sense to pony up money for assistant coaches in order to hire and keep the best around. But if a coordinator does very well at his job at a major program like South Carolina, I don't think it's realistic to think you can keep him from taking a head coaching job at a smaller school. Several years ago, even Southern Miss was able to pay EJ about $1.2million to be their head coach.

I do think SC needs to change it's philosophy in its next search for a football head coach. I think we've reached the point where we can be a little mercenary in our search. With our last two coaches, we felt grateful that a legendary coach was willing to take a chance on our program and try to take it to a level it had never achieved before. We (and they) probably felt like we were getting a bargain considering their prior positions in the hierarchy of college football coaches. To their credit, both Holtz and Spurrier succeeded in their goals of taken this program to a level it had never experienced before. For the next coach, however, I don't think we need to be so humble in our search. I think we are at the point financially where we can say "We're impressed with what you've done at X school, we're prepared to pay you lots of money to make us into serious SEC contenders every year, and if we haven't seen enough from your program after 3 or 4 years, we'll probably get rid of you." I'm sure that's the unstated understanding at Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, Arkansas, etc and there's no reason why we shouldn't approach it any differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT