ADVERTISEMENT

Pulled a Clemson or Clemsoning.....

section907

Sep 16, 2000
Front page on Yahoo, 1st sentence...

" It is no secret Clemson is once again loaded at the skill positions. If you've followed Clemson closely, you know the Achilles heel of the program is offensive line depth and development....

The taeters have always been able to get talent but looks like everyone knows that they don't have a good developmental program. Watkins freshman year Dabo said we just unwrap him and let him go.. We try to stay out of his way.. When asked about Watson, Dabo says he is a 12 on scale of 1-10... Looks like Dabo will be learning from Watson..

It's absolutely true. It's partly development but we've just struggled since the early 90's getting top tier offensive lineman. We just had a great haul last year but relying on young offensive lineman is not a recipe for success. I'm pumping the breaks on all the playoff talk. We will be good but I think it will be really tough to have a special year playing freshman on the offensive line.

Good post Tiger. I think your team will be good. We have OL questions ourselves. That's where games are won and lost. In the trenches. Hope we have solved our DL issues or at least better. I think we will be better

Reactions: XTIGERK
It's absolutely true. It's partly development but we've just struggled since the early 90's getting top tier offensive lineman. We just had a great haul last year but relying on young offensive lineman is not a recipe for success. I'm pumping the breaks on all the playoff talk. We will be good but I think it will be really tough to have a special year playing freshman on the offensive line.

Posts like this from a Tiger are refreshing and welcome on FGF. I personally like being able to discuss our teams, universities, and our rivalry in a level headed manner. I hope you stay around.

On another note, I just want to say that I attended the SC vs Clemson game at Death Valley last year. I was the only Gamecock in a very large orange sea of fans. I wasn't drunk or loud. I knew I was a guest in someone else's house, and was a respectable SC fan, but I'm not just a fan. I am a proud graduate, so in my mind, I represent my school as well. I was treated extremely well by the Tiger fans I encountered, and had good conversations about our teams with several. I left the stadium a few minutes earlier than most, and congratulated several along the way because their team earned it that day, and they all were gracious in winning.

So, XTIGERK (with 3 posts), I think that most us on FGF would welcome an honest, authentic POV from a Tiger fan as opposed to the smack talk we usually get here.

Reactions: clemsonu96
And the other teams that have won 10 or more games the last four years are Alabama, Oregon and Northern Illinois.

We've certainly missed on our fair share of recruits. It's one area that is by far the weakest since Dabo took over and he hears about it a lot. I think the first time we saw a dramatic shift in strategy was this past year and they are off to a similar start for next years class. Time will tell, as OL is the most difficult position to find good talent and then develop that talent at the next level.

Edit: I do have to say, while I get that it is fun for all here to keep the whole Clemsoning thing going, it's really not applicable anymore. It means losing to a team you're not supposed to lose to. That hasn't happened in a while. The entire roster this year has losses to only teams in the top 10 since they've been there. While that stat doesn't mean we are world killers or elite, it certainly proves that we have taken a big step forward from Clemsoning and have become a more consistent team.

Reactions: PKGinATL
I think that is true. Direct correlation to increase in talent level and bringing in better assistant coaches.

Reactions: clemsonu96
They made a BCS game.

I think anyone that has sense understands that using a BCS game as an accomplishment is really mistaken. Especially when the best teams dont always go. Case in point. When your team went and we were ranked HIGHER in the BCS than you. Just gone done putting a beatdown on you, we were obviously the better team. Yet due to quotas and people complaining SEC cant have more than 2 teams, they went down in the pecking order. So Clemson fans can continue to use going to a BCS game as some sort of great thing. We all know that because best teams dont go, doesnt mean a whole lot other than if you are playing in championship game in past or now in the 4 team playoff.

Reactions: Minarcsik
I think anyone that has sense understands that using a BCS game as an accomplishment is really mistaken. Especially when the best teams dont always go. Case in point. When your team went and we were ranked HIGHER in the BCS than you. Just gone done putting a beatdown on you, we were obviously the better team. Yet due to quotas and people complaining SEC cant have more than 2 teams, they went down in the pecking order. So Clemson fans can continue to use going to a BCS game as some sort of great thing. We all know that because best teams dont go, doesnt mean a whole lot other than if you are playing in championship game in past or now in the 4 team playoff.
You're absolutely right about that. I've never thrown that in anyone's face. I was never so nervous going into that game because of what happened last time and OSU was much better than WVU in my mind. But, it does mean something to a program to go down there and not only not get embarrassed but to win the game. Sorry, it was a big accomplishment and one that, if the roles were reversed, you guys would have been proud of(winning the game, that is). Besides, it made you guys look that much better. All the cards were out and everyone knew why we went and you guys didn't. ESPN made damn sure everyone knew leading up to and during the broadcast of that game of how Clemson got in.

They made a BCS game.

Remember the WV game? I'll never forget it! LMAO!

I remember when the match up was announced and I quietly listened to all the bullshit Clemmers were spewing. My buddy showed up at my office to talk a little football, asked me what I thought about that game,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I smiled and said I'll take WV all day and that I couldn't wait to watch the ass whipping that was going to take place. So he and I went to our normal wateringhole to watch the game. Big time Clemmer walks in and looks at my Gamecock sweatshirt, and like he did prior to them playing Georgia Tech, said hey I see something shit on your shirt again. I just smiled and shook my head.

Clemmers, they never learn.

Front page on Yahoo, 1st sentence...

" It is no secret Clemson is once again loaded at the skill positions. If you've followed Clemson closely, you know the Achilles heel of the program is offensive line depth and development....

The taeters have always been able to get talent but looks like everyone knows that they don't have a good developmental program. Watkins freshman year Dabo said we just unwrap him and let him go.. We try to stay out of his way.. When asked about Watson, Dabo says he is a 12 on scale of 1-10... Looks like Dabo will be learning from Watson..

Very few if any CU fans will argue with this point about OL being the weak link of the program for years. There is reason to believe that this is changing. During the finals years of TB, and the first few years under Dabo, the coach who was evaluating and developing the OL was Brad Scott. He is a nice guy, and a great recruiter, but as most on this board know he is a terrible football coach. We suffered because BS did a bad job of coaching the OL, and an even worse job in evaluations. Since Robbie Caldwell has become the OL coach, I feel that the evaluation process is much better, and the OL recruits that we have are being developed better. Unfortunately, with OL it takes several years to properly develop those guys so turning around an OL takes time. I think that going forward, we should see better and better OL play at CU. We have recruited at an elite level in many areas, but you are only as good as your weakest link. If the OL improves under the direction of Caldwell, and we continue recruiting and developing players at the other areas the way we have, then I see CU becoming a dominant program. Many CU fans believe the same. I'm quite sure that most on this board don't view it the way many CU fans do. Only time will tell who is right. I admit that my belief is just that, and I could be completely wrong. I'm just ready to get the season cranked up.

ADVERTISEMENT