ADVERTISEMENT

QB Braden Davis stats from 2020

andersoncountycock

Nov 12, 2019
Davis moved to Florida for the 2020 season but suffered an ankle injury in the third game and returned to Delaware. In three games he was 21-47 for 261 yards, 4 touchdowns and 2 interceptions, and he rushed for 44 yards and 2 scores. It will take more than that to get me excited..

• Angry
Reactions: Cocky 45
tenor.gif

Davis moved to Florida for the 2020 season but suffered an ankle injury in the third game and returned to Delaware. In three games he was 21-47 for 261 yards, 4 touchdowns and 2 interceptions, and he rushed for 44 yards and 2 scores. It will take more than that to get me excited..
You know who was excited? USC, Alabama,Arkansas, Clemson,Auburn,Florida, FSU,Georgia, Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Penn State, Oregon, LSU.

So yeah, forgive me if I dont go jump off a cliff just yet

You know who was excited? USC, Alabama,Arkansas, Clemson,Auburn,Florida, FSU,Georgia, Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Penn State, Oregon, LSU.

So yeah, forgive me if I dont go jump off a cliff just yet
I'm glad they were excited. Might be the reason he went from a 4* to a 3*

I see both sides. I'm just excited that he's listed as high as he is though.. and is wanted by those other schools. Beats the absolute h#ll out of taking guys from St. Francis.

On the flip side...I hope he doesn't come here, show promise & talent and have to transfer after two years because a bum OC is brought in. RIP Hilinski. Like it or not...programs go as their QBs go most times. When UNC loses Sam Howell...unless they have another S. Howell to take his place there will be a drop off there. We need to get as many talented guys with the right intangibles as possible. Hope Davis is one of these guys.

Am I to believe that posters on this forum actually have inside behind the scenes knowledge of who other programs actually pursued after offering them? No. No I don’t.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
To be clear, I think he's pretty good. I don't love that he scrambles so much and his passing game needs a lot of work. But he's definitely a good land. He's very fast, but more importantly, he's a very smart kid with a good head on his shoulders.

He's not technically a top 200 recruit. You're wrong on that. He's close, but not there. Also, I don't love the composite. I think standard wisdom is 247 is the best, followed by Rivals, and then ESPN. On 247, he's a 3 Star QB who's the #21 QB and unranked among players nationally. Rivals has him as a 3 Star QB who's the #27 QB and unranked among players nationally. ESPN has him as a 4 Star and the #3 dual threat. All together, that makes him a 4 Star top 250 recruit. But it's strange that ESPN has such a differing view of him. As far as I'm aware, 247 and Rivals have actually seen him play in person but ESPN has not. I suspect a large part of ESPN's ranking is based on Davis's dad. As for me, I think he's a 4 Star athlete, but not a 4 Star quarterback. I'd see him eventually becoming like a wildcat QB who plays a lot as a receiver as well (I think the current guys SCar has are better QBs).

That's misleading, but that's not how college recruiting works. Not all offers are committable. The big programs will give a kid an offer and say "Hey, we told this other guy before you we wanted him, but we'd love to have you if these other guys don't commit." I follow other teams' recruiting, and most of the teams you listed never pursued Davis at QB (as I said, he's a good athlete). Alabama and Clemson were going hard for Ty Simpson, and when Bama got him, Clemson flipped to Cade Klubnik. They never pursued Davis. A&M was always Weigman. They wanted Davis for WR. LSU was always for Walker Howard and Davis never had a committable offer. Same with Penn State and Allar. I don't know about Georgia (whether he ever had a committable offer), but I know they strongly preferred Stockton. Similarly, I went on the Auburn and FSU boards, and their fans never even discussed Davis for QB, focusing all on the guys they landed, who are ranked higher than Davis in 2 of the 3 services.

I do know that he had a committable offer from Arkansas, Georgia Tech, and Tennessee. Not a bad list at all. As I said, the kid's a great athlete. He may become a really good QB (he has the right mindset for it, which is the hardest thing to coach, he just needs to improve his strength/fundamentals). But his list of committable offers is tremendously different from the list you gave.

You can say that all you want but whether its a committable offer or not is pure speculation on your part. You have zero evidence thats supports your therory. Fans on a message board hardly qualifies.

You just joined so maybe you don't know the recruiting world. But every team has forums like this. And for a lot of those teams, they have individuals who are extremely close to the program and do have inside knowledge on who they're pursuing. For example, Tigernet has that David Hood guy (along with some others close to the program). Go to their site and search. Clemson has been open to the fact that they allow their QB coach (can't think of his name) to have one recruit a year without special permission. You'll see that they really wanted Ty Simpson and he was the only QB they were pursuing until he was a strong Bama lean and then they flipped to Cade Klubnik. If you search the other forums, you'll see similar things.

But if you want to doubt all these people, then Occam's razor man. 5 of the teams he listed will likely end up with a 5 Star QB (Bama, Clemson, UGA, LSU, and A&M), who famously want to be the only recruited QB. Do you think all of these teams would heavily pursue Davis and risk those 5 Stars? It takes a lot of assumptions to come out the other way.

I refuse to believe that any person has the time to actually go and spend in other teams forums to keep up with all of their recruiting efforts. It just can’t be.

I can just barely keep up with our recruiting on a recreational kind of level. Unless it’s a full-time job, Who in the world has the time to keep up in depth with not only our recruiting but the recruiting of teams throughout the nation?

It just isn’t so.

First game: Davis had a solid night leading the Hawks offense, completing 12 of 18 passes for 170 yards and three touchdowns

Second Game: Davis was sacked and pressured on most plays and his team managed 186 total yards

Third game: injury

OP doesn’t really get how stats don’t tell the whole story - that’s okay though

First game: Davis had a solid night leading the Hawks offense, completing 12 of 18 passes for 170 yards and three touchdowns

Second Game: Davis was sacked and pressured on most plays and his team managed 186 total yards

Third game: injury

OP doesn’t really get how stats don’t tell the whole story - that’s okay though
OK feeble what ever you say. I still believe it's a bad commit. Hope I'm wrong.

OK feeble what ever you say. I still believe it's a bad commit. Hope I'm wrong.
A bad commit? Any kid who wants to come here and put their body on the line to help us win is a good commit. You are just a HORRIBLE fan! Bashing a kid before he has played a GAME here is idiotic and pathetic! Grow tf up

He looks the part of a good QB but he's got a pretty thin resume. At this point, we have to take chances. Not a lot of 5 stars beating our door down.

A bad commit? Any kid who wants to come here and put their body on the line to help us win is a good commit. You are just a HORRIBLE fan! Bashing a kid before he has played a GAME here is idiotic and pathetic! Grow tf up
Just wait and see. Like I said earlier, I hope I'm wrong. Good commits play on Saturdays.

I know folks just poo-poo any positive evaluations of him but here’s his 247 analysis:

Scouting report from 247Sports national recruiting analyst Brian Dohn: Excellent frame with length. Athletic with escapability. Does not panic under pressure. Good pocket awareness. Good arm strength that will improve with maturity. Shows very good touch on intermediate and deep balls. Throws catchable ball. Gets through progressions. Extends plays. Strong work ethic. Good foot speed and feet work in unison with arm. Has to tighten lengthy delivery. Drops elbow at times. Must continue to get stronger and add weight. Added strength will increase arm strength. Multi-year starter at high-major program with long-term NFL Draft potential.

That sounds on track with what I was saying. Good athlete. Good head on his shoulder. Needs to get stronger and build fundamentals. I said I thought he could play at multiple positions, but didn't think he'd be the #1 QB kind of guy (and they had Doty as a 2-3 round pick, so that tracks). One thing I don't know. What does UFA mean? That's his projection by 247 but I've never seen it before.

My main comment was that it was silly to say Bama, UGA, Clemson, LSU, and A&M were pursuing Davis when they were pursuing the top QBs of the class. Each of their QBs is projected to go in the 2-3 round as opposed to an outside shot at getting drafted.
Based on the draft projections you mentioned, I'm assuming undrafted free agent?

That sounds on track with what I was saying. Good athlete. Good head on his shoulder. Needs to get stronger and build fundamentals. I said I thought he could play at multiple positions, but didn't think he'd be the #1 QB kind of guy (and they had Doty as a 2-3 round pick, so that tracks). One thing I don't know. What does UFA mean? That's his projection by 247 but I've never seen it before.

My main comment was that it was silly to say Bama, UGA, Clemson, LSU, and A&M were pursuing Davis when they were pursuing the top QBs of the class. Each of their QBs is projected to go in the 2-3 round as opposed to an outside shot at getting drafted.

It doesn't sound anything at all like what you said.

I have yet to read a bad analysis of him. Granted, everyone is working with a small sample size. Saban liked enough of what he saw from him as a sophomore at camp to offer him on the spot. Sure, Bama and other schools ended up signing highly rated QBs but that doesn't mean Braden is bad.

HS stats are relatively meaningless when it comes to what he will do here, however with his size and arm he has potential to be a stud QB, the fact he is rated as a 3* by rivals is a joke.

I have yet to read a bad analysis of him. Granted, everyone is working with a small sample size. Saban liked enough of what he saw from him as a sophomore at camp to offer him on the spot. Sure, Bama and other schools ended up signing highly rated QBs but that doesn't mean Braden is bad.
He is highly rated, well respected by other recruits and has made himself a visible participant in our huge recruiting weekends recently. He was here on an “unofficial visit” from like Tuesday- Sunday of last week or something AND is coming back for his official this coming weekend when we will host perhaps our most impressive roster of official visitors- with a guy like that on campus saying “hey, I am committed here already, come play with me and help me turn this place around”, it cannot hurt!

He is highly rated, well respected by other recruits and has made himself a visible participant in our huge recruiting weekends recently. He was here on an “unofficial visit” from like Tuesday- Sunday of last week or something AND is coming back for his official this coming weekend when we will host perhaps our most impressive roster of official visitors- with a guy like that on campus saying “hey, I am committed here already, come play with me and help me turn this place around”, it cannot hurt!

Those who are criticizing him are doing so only bc he committed here. He was offered by A LOT of really good coaches, so he’s fooled a lot of guys if he’s actually bad.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Those who are criticizing him are doing so only bc he committed here. He was offered by A LOT of really good coaches, so he’s fooled a lot of guys if he’s actually bad.
Exactly- guys who get paid millions a year to find the best players from the HS ranks and win championships based off of their ability to do so say this kid is good enough to play for them- after studying his film, hosting him in camps and evaluating his abilities against other top players in person.

On the other side of the argument- some guy on the internet who read a stat sheet from a season where the kid played 2 games and then got injured in the third has determined that he is a bum.

I am going with evaluation #1 personally. To each his own I suppose..

Exactly- guys who get paid millions a year to find the best players from the HS ranks and win championships based off of their ability to do so say this kid is good enough to play for them- after studying his film, hosting him in camps and evaluating his abilities against other top players in person.

On the other side of the argument- some guy on the internet who read a stat sheet from a season where the kid played 2 games and then got injured in the third has determined that he is a bum.

I am going with evaluation #1 personally. To each his own I suppose..
Nope a guy that did not bother to look up how the individual games actually went has made a judgment purely by googling his high school stats

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT