ADVERTISEMENT

QLED or OLED Tv's - Worth the extra $$$$

luvmygamecocks

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2006
Columbia
Considering purchasing a Samsung Qled tv and was wondering if anybody could advise if they are worth the extra cost. Also how does Samsung QLED stack up to LG's OLED? Am curious if the picture quality (2x the pixels) is worth the high cost compared to standard 4K sets.

QLED is really just a marketing gimmick that speaks an LED display that has the capacity to increase brightness in certain conditions.

OLED is a completely different technology, with more similarities to plasma than LED.

I have the LG OLED 55” C7P and it’s a phenomenal picture, especially in 4K UHD HCR or Dolby Vision. The blacks are true blacks and the colors pop. While I haven’t gotten a DirecTV receiver for 4K, the 4K on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube is a game changer. Planet Earth 2 in 4K is pretty darn impressive, as is Grand Tour. 8K is still a few years away for mainstream programming, so get an OLED 4K TV and you’ll be good. I think Sony & Panasonic now carry LG built panels.

Great question, I'm in the same situation! Will Bestbuy have all these for viewing, that will make my decision for me!

I have a 65" OLED and I work at Best Buy. There is no comparison between a QLED and OLED. OLED's are expensive but AMAZING! A QLED is a glorified LED like a previous poster said.

Reactions: Out of Conference
I have the LG OLED 55” C7P and it’s a phenomenal picture, especially in 4K UHD HCR or Dolby Vision. The blacks are true blacks and the colors pop. While I haven’t gotten a DirecTV receiver for 4K, the 4K on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube is a game changer. Planet Earth 2 in 4K is pretty darn impressive, as is Grand Tour. 8K is still a few years away for mainstream programming, so get an OLED 4K TV and you’ll be good. I think Sony & Panasonic now carry LG built panels.

I have this TV, also, and it is wonderful. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: Out of Conference
Keep in mind that Best Buy will display with the highest resolution input available - 4K DVD, etc.

Considering purchasing a Samsung Qled tv and was wondering if anybody could advise if they are worth the extra cost. Also how does Samsung QLED stack up to LG's OLED? Am curious if the picture quality (2x the pixels) is worth the high cost compared to standard 4K sets.

I believe this is what you want to know. These be the FACTS.
Wait until next January/February before BUYING but, start keeping up on pricing today. WHY??? Depending on screen size you will see about a $200 to $600 price decrease. AND, you will see a similar, perhaps larger, decrease the following year. WHY??? Because OLED is a new, technical philosophy, that happens to work and doesn't cost anymore to produce. Standard 4K is already obsolete. OLED also eliminates any and all refresh rates/speed issues. It's like a smooth stretch of highway.

General Industry Opinion: Depending on your viewing set up: TODAY
Basically for Straight-On viewing ... #1 Samsung #2 LG
For Better Angular viewing ... #1 LG #2 Samsung. The industry then gave their total rating as #1 LG #2 Samsung. Sony is not really considered a player at this time.

Reactions: Thigh Man
The hardest think for these TVs to do (that old tube and plasma did very well) is duplicate true, really good black levels. The Qled is better at doing this.

The hardest think for these TVs to do (that old tube and plasma did very well) is duplicate true, really good black levels. The Qled is better at doing this.
Actually the QLED tries to duplicate black. For blacks, it still powers the individual LEDs so they show something, a very, very dark gray. OLED panels are true black. They don’t power the individual LED when it calls for black for that individual LED, thus it’s a true black.

Reactions: Garnet chicken
Don't like some of those tvs because of the glare problem. I don't want to look at my table lamp reflected on the screen or light from my window. I have a 65" Hitachi tv bought in '97 that does not have this problem. Best tv I ever had. I watched those Planet Earth docs and don't believe a new tv would have produced a pic that much better. The glare problem was solved 20 yrs ago so don't get this.

Saw this TV in action while in England.....It's less than a 1/4" thick.
Amazing....

https://www.digitaltrends.com/tv-reviews/lg-signature-oled65w7p-w7-series-oled-tv-review/#/10
^^this^^
I saw this tv at Best Buy in Houston. It’s crazy awesome. It beats the normal LG oled which is amazing in itself. Only a few Best Buy’s that have a Magnolia dept have these to demonstrate.
Watch the slick deals site/app for tvs. If a great deal pops, it’s hard to sneak one by those folks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT