ADVERTISEMENT

Quarantine all college students to the school

cocks rule

Aug 15, 2004
Quarantine all college students to the school for the entire school year no trips home no trips out of the campus let them part my their ass off but keep them inside the campus.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbmorse4
Quarantine all college students to the school for the entire school year no trips home no trips out of the campus let them part my their ass off but keep them inside the campus.

I feel your concern and anger. I am concerned in my house because my wife is a teacher and my daughter is a teacher. And they both live at home 😆. Was only humor. Need it these days.
I am concerned as should everyone else. We are heading into the flu season, and it’s going be knee jerk reactions because two viruses are going to potentially be hard to read. It’s going to be a cluster F.
I feel really bad for the young kids in grade schools. This is crazy times!

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Do you have a child in college? I do.
My son joined the Marines. 2 weeks in quarantine without communication. Now he is off to Parris Island for boot camp. 13 more weeks with little communication and no visits or heading home. After that we are told to expect a virtual graduation and that he would head out to his next assignment without the normal break to be able to come home (thanks Rona). So, no trips home, no visits, no Thanksgiving, no Christmas, etc....
Kids staying on campus isn’t the worst idea. It could be tougher.

My son joined the Marines. 2 weeks in quarantine without communication. Now he is off to Parris Island for boot camp. 13 more weeks with little communication and no visits or heading home. After that we are told to expect a virtual graduation and that he would head out to his next assignment without the normal break to be able to come home (thanks Rona). So, no trips home, no visits, no Thanksgiving, no Christmas, etc....
Thanks to your son for serving our country. As a retired military person, often we missed special times with our family.

I agree. Let’s ask that a large fence with razor wire be installed around the campus. Like at Alvin S Glen! J/k

All due respect- these scenarios are not even similar. Your son made a choice to sign up to serve his country (I assume unless he was forced into by a judge or something I guess?) and is now the property of the US Government. He went in with all of you knowing he could be separated without contact for undetermined amounts of time depending on the missions he is sent on... Or, possibly worse, God forbid. He is paid to take on that job and those risks and to take orders... and you all knew going in there was no promise you would see him again soon. Sorry you will miss a few days with him after Paris Island... but I assure you that is of zero concern to the US military machine.

What the OP was saying is that parents who sent their kids off to college, and are PAYING THE COLLEGE for the experience, expecting them to have freedom to come home when they please...Should, now that they have arrived on campus with the previously mentioned expectations of freedom, be quarantined and not allowed to leave when they please so that they can basically be infected with a potentially deadly virus to achieve some herd immunity among college age kids... Insanity. Absolute insanity. If that was stated as the plan from the start, and everyone knew that was the plan before signing up... Well then they get what they signed up for. Maybe that is a different discussion. That was not the plan/goal of sending these kids back to school and comparing it to your child signing up for the Marines is not in any way comparable.

I appreciate your son's commitment and actions, and your great parenting. I don't appreciate college kids much these days, they are too much of the problem in too many ways. Not all of them, but many, and their parents are not much help.

The most powerful word we can use in America to address all our problems is "behave." I applaud you and your son. You are doing it.

I appreciate your son's commitment and actions, and your great parenting. I don't appreciate college kids much these days, they are too much of the problem in too many ways. Not all of them, but many, and their parents are not much help.

The most powerful word we can use in America to address all our problems is "behave." I applaud you and your son. You are doing it.
Young people trying to get an education are the problem with the world today? That is a hot take... This must have a political basis but I am failing to figure it out.
I take issue with that statement in so many ways. It is just flat wrong. Blind fanaticism overriding reason is the problem with our world today. People just gobble up whatever line of BS they are fed by the leader of whatever ideology they blindly follow- Politicians, faith leaders, military leaders, educators... And refuse to even try to empathize with anyone who may have a slightly differing opinion. It is dangerous, divisive and leads to the exact kind of never ending civil unrest we see in our streets today. Everybody needs to learn how to empathize with others and get along... That problem seems to be pervasive across most of our demographics and is certainly not more pervasive on college campuses.

I understand you’re paying for college education, but I’m pretty sure you had the option to do virtual too.
Sure... Virtual is an option. It is up to the prof at USC i hear. I don’t have any college age kids but I know a bunch and literally all the ones I know say that like 95% of the professors chose virtual. But... the kids still moved into dorms.. or apartments on/around campus! So that doesn’t really change the scenario much and is a pointless waste of time just like the insane lockdown we imposed early on that did nothing to slow the spread of the virus.

All due respect- these scenarios are not even similar. Your son made a choice to sign up to serve his country (I assume unless he was forced into by a judge or something I guess?) and is now the property of the US Government. He went in with all of you knowing he could be separated without contact for undetermined amounts of time depending on the missions he is sent on... Or, possibly worse, God forbid. He is paid to take on that job and those risks and to take orders... and you all knew going in there was no promise you would see him again soon. Sorry you will miss a few days with him after Paris Island... but I assure you that is of zero concern to the US military machine.

What the OP was saying is that parents who sent their kids off to college, and are PAYING THE COLLEGE for the experience, expecting them to have freedom to come home when they please...Should, now that they have arrived on campus with the previously mentioned expectations of freedom, be quarantined and not allowed to leave when they please so that they can basically be infected with a potentially deadly virus to achieve some herd immunity among college age kids... Insanity. Absolute insanity. If that was stated as the plan from the start, and everyone knew that was the plan before signing up... Well then they get what they signed up for. Maybe that is a different discussion. That was not the plan/goal of sending these kids back to school and comparing it to your child signing up for the Marines is not in any way comparable.

Why any parent would send their kid back to school during this madness is beyond me. This would be a year off if my kid was still in school. It would be virtual at best if he could finish up this year. There would be no other option if he was home and safe. If you sent your kid back to school expecting anything other than infection I don’t know what to tell you except you made a very Bad decision and You’ll only make it worse if he or she travels back and forth spreading the virus throughout your family.

Young people trying to get an education are the problem with the world today? That is a hot take... This must have a political basis but I am failing to figure it out.
I take issue with that statement in so many ways. It is just flat wrong. Blind fanaticism overriding reason is the problem with our world today. People just gobble up whatever line of BS they are fed by the leader of whatever ideology they blindly follow- Politicians, faith leaders, military leaders, educators... And refuse to even try to empathize with anyone who may have a slightly differing opinion. It is dangerous, divisive and leads to the exact kind of never ending civil unrest we see in our streets today. Everybody needs to learn how to empathize with others and get along... That problem seems to be pervasive across most of our demographics and is certainly not more pervasive on college campuses.
All that because I'm a little frustrated with the actions of college kids and some parents. Calm down there friend.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Why any parent would send their kid back to school during this madness is beyond me. This would be a year off if my kid was still in school. It would be virtual at best if he could finish up this year. There would be no other option if he was home and safe. If you sent your kid back to school expecting anything other than infection I don’t know what to tell you except you made a very Bad decision and You’ll only make it worse if he or she travels back and forth spreading the virus throughout your family.
Then letting them drive a car must be absolute insanity, in your eyes.

Then letting them drive a car must be absolute insanity, in your eyes.

Apples to oranges. You just proved my favorite theory that Common sense is a great thing to possess and can’t be taught in any institution of higher learning.

I agree wholeheartedly....BUT, if there is rioting, looting....property damage. Prosecute ANYONE to the fullest extent of the law. PERIOD! Even to the point of removing their citizenship and right to vote. How does that grab you. There has to be "CIVIL LAW"....if we don't have that .... we have nothing.

Slow down cowboy before you fall off your high horse.

First- it’s comparable in that we both are parents sending our kids off into the world having to trust that they are making good decisions

Second- We knew what my son had signed up for and the sacrifice it would take to be a Marine Heck, he will be defending your right to freely choose for your kid to go to college. YOU should have been prepared when YOU decided to PAY for your kid to live on/near campus that this was a real possibly. I was not judging YOUR choosing but merely pointing out that it could be worse.

Thirdly- This IS a part of the college experience. Life happens and you have to start making choices. Should I study or go out with friends? Do I attend class today or do I sleep in because I can? Do I eat from my meal plan or go get wings and a beer? Do I walk, Uber, or drive to 5 points? Do I go home over the weekend or do I hang out and party? Do I wear a mask? Do I go to places where there are crowds? Do I have the Covid and should I expose my family to it?

Finally- The OP was not about keeping them on campus for herd immunity. That would be ridiculous and grounds for so many lawsuits that the courts would be full for years. The OP was saying that they should remain together on campus essentially in lockdown so they could (as you said - get the college experience) party. Having been a USC student, I know that experience and would rather they enjoy it than for the University to close things down completely and send kids home.

Reactions: cocks rule

Thank you for your kind words! I like your word “behave”. In my family, we use the word respect. Respect yourself, respect authority, respect your elders, respect others, respect your freedoms, etc...

There is a way to disagree with others and it starts with behaving. I like it!

Reactions: the real usc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT