ADVERTISEMENT

quempsum fans, don't feel left out! The concrete canoe competition is

I'm not sure this is a good thing to bring up. They're likely to place higher than us. Our department has been doing rather poorly in competitions lately (or at least the solar boat and baja teams have been). Granted, among the mechanicals this is probably our best class in several years, so hopefully that will change.

Originally posted by 4thgengamecock:
I'm not sure this is a good thing to bring up. They're likely to place higher than us. Our department has been doing rather poorly in competitions lately (or at least the solar boat and baja teams have been). Granted, among the mechanicals this is probably our best class in several years, so hopefully that will change.
I wasn't aware of these competitions. I just remembered quempsum use to win the concrete canoe competition, and I don't even know who they competed against.

i thought it was just against clemson fraternities and of course the drunk sheep in canoes

This post was edited on 3/30 12:18 AM by usaguy40

Originally posted by usaguy40:
i thought it was just against clemson fraternities and of course the drunk sheep in canoes

No, they actually made concrete canoes and supposely won first place.

Originally posted by Freddie.B.Cocky:
I wasn't aware of these competitions. I just remembered quempsum use to win the concrete canoe competition, and I don't even know who they competed against.
Engineering schools have all sorts of competitions like that. Mechanical sends a team to compete in the solar boat and baja contests (normally as senior design projects), and civil does concrete canoe. I'm sure electricals and chemicals have some too, but I'm not sure what they are since that bunch is across the street from me (mechanicals generally stick to 300 Main rather than Swearingen). Generally speaking national organizations sponsor the event, and engineering schools from all over the country (and in solar boat's case, the world) send teams to compete. It's actually a pretty big deal to place first.

We were actually one of the "original" teams that started up the solar boat contest ten or fifteen years ago and won the first couple of them, but have fallen on hard times since. Like I said though, this year's class is (supposedly) stronger than the last couple so we should do better than we have been. The competition is in Dayton, Ohio this year if anyone wants to go see it.

This post was edited on 3/30 1:23 AM by 4thgengamecock

Engineering schools have all sorts of competitions like that. Mechanical sends a team to compete in the solar boat and baja contests (normally as senior design projects), and civil does concrete canoe. I'm sure electricals and chemicals have some too, but I'm not sure what they are since that bunch is across the street from me (mechanicals generally stick to 300 Main rather than Swearingen). Generally speaking national organizations sponsor the event, and engineering schools from all over the country (and in solar boat's case, the world) send teams to compete. It's actually a pretty big deal to place first.

We were actually one of the "original" teams that started up the solar boat contest ten or fifteen years ago and won the first couple of them, but have fallen on hard times since. Like I said though, this year's class is (supposedly) stronger than the last couple so we should do better than we have been. The competition is in Dayton, Ohio this year if anyone wants to go see it.

This post was edited on 3/30 1:23 AM by 4thgengamecock
This is correct; the Electrical and Computer Engs (of which I am a proud alumnus) compete in the IEEE robotics competition, my senior year we won the southeast region (competing against the likes of NC State and GT), although I don't know how we did after that, since I had graduated and didn't want to look at anything other than cold beer and hot waitresses for a few weeks

Originally posted by usaguy40:

No, they actually made concrete canoes and supposely won first place.
clemson won the concrete canoe national championship. but over that weekend, they were stripped of the title for cheating on the construction of the canoe. this was several years ago. maybe they have since won it fair and square. but i doubt it.

coming up soon.
okay...

so "quempsum" means clemson

queer way to spell it

ya think?

but, we finally get it!

thank you, marion

go cocks!

According to the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) website, Clemson has won twice since the competition started in 1988, in 1999 and 2000. By an almost unbelievable coincidence, Clemson is hosting the competition this June (I guess they need a lake to test them on?).

Re: Please don't bother them....they are currently listening to WCCCP...

and their fan boys there are nearly the 2 million mark on the "talking about Watson" watch.....it is all so exciting.

It is rumored that the station will do a special Watson breaking news segment to preempt the regular Watson is the universe daylong marathon. But not to worry, Clemson fans, the station will post the missed Watson marathon segments so you will not miss a thing.

Watson.....whew, I done my part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT