ADVERTISEMENT

quempsum is the only college in NC or SC (that I can find) not to reschedule or cancel

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
their game Saturday. I'm not talking about moving up the game time several hours, I'm talking about moving the game up several days or in some cases moving the game to a different venue out of state.

I know I read a post below that said taters will cancel but I've not seen it yet.

Looks like UNC-Charlotte and Wake Forest decided to play their games.

Yes, WF is playing tonight. Game is probably over by now. It's a lot of difference playing Thursday afternoon than anytime Saturday.

UNC Charlotte also played this afternoon.

Charlotte vs. Old Dominion was set for a Saturday kickoff. Now, it will be played today at 4 p.m. ET.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Would we have played this game if it were 1999 when we lost in Hurricane Dennis to NC State?

The call was not ours to make in 1999 since it was played at NCSU, it is our call to make in 2018 when the game was scheduled at WB.

The call was not ours to make in 1999 since it was played at NCSU, it is our call to make in 2018 when the game was scheduled at WB.
You're ducking the question.

I could ask: Are politicians more scared to make a mistake today than they were 20 years ago, but that's probably more of a rhetorical question these days.

Reactions: Cybercock

I could ask: Are politicians more scared to make a mistake today than they were 20 years ago, but that's probably more of a rhetorical question these days.

Regardless, it was not our call. USC had to play or forfeit the game. But, to try and answer your question in 1999 whose to say.

Yes, WF is playing tonight. Game is probably over by now. It's a lot of difference playing Thursday afternoon than anytime Saturday.

UNC Charlotte also played this afternoon.

Charlotte vs. Old Dominion was set for a Saturday kickoff. Now, it will be played today at 4 p.m. ET.
Youre right. The storm is as strong as it will be right now from this point forward. It is lashing the coast and storm surge is beginning, but they played the game because 1) its over 200 miles away from the area being impacted 2) the resources everyone keeps talking about are already in place. Same scenario for us. Whether we play our game or not will make zero impact on the effectiveness of the those helping with the storm impact. Columbia is closer to the storm, was an evacuation hub, and Marshall had to fly in. Lastly, they still may cancel our game if the people attending are in danger (getting rained on isnt dangerous fyi).
I can understand yall complaining our conference is weak, saying we cheat (how did we get so good so fast), saying we're lucky (if only that pylon was one inch smaller), but for people to get worked up over us playing a game that will have zero impact on those impacted by Florence is misplaced. Good luck with Vandy.

Reactions: Zann77 and FJRTiger
Youre right. The storm is as strong as it will be right now from this point forward. It is lashing the coast and storm surge is beginning, but they played the game because 1) its over 200 miles away from the area being impacted 2) the resources everyone keeps talking about are already in place. Same scenario for us. Whether we play our game or not will make zero impact on the effectiveness of the those helping with the storm impact. Columbia is closer to the storm, was an evacuation hub, and Marshall had to fly in. Lastly, they still may cancel our game if the people attending are in danger (getting rained on isnt dangerous fyi).
I can understand yall complaining our conference is weak, saying we cheat (how did we get so good so fast), saying we're lucky (if only that pylon was one inch smaller), but for people to get worked up over us playing a game that will have zero impact on those impacted by Florence is misplaced. Good luck with Vandy.

One issue you left out of your list ^^^^ - the danger posed by FLOODING from the storm. Fans traveling from across the state to Clemson will be in danger going and coming. Many will try to make the trip because 'Clemson is playing football in DV'.

Then there's the matter of tornado spin offs from Florence. Good luck getting 85,000 out of the stadium in 3 minutes or less if a dark funnel cloud is spotted dancing across Lake Hartwell.

Now, who knows? Maybe the 12 Noon kickoff will remove the risk. I hope and pray that will be the case.

One issue you left out of your list ^^^^ - the danger posed by FLOODING from the storm. Fans traveling from across the state to Clemson will be in danger going and coming. Many will try to make the trip because 'Clemson is playing football in DV'.

Then there's the matter of tornado spin offs from Florence. Good luck getting 85,000 out of the stadium in 3 minutes or less if a dark funnel cloud is spotted dancing across Lake Hartwell.

Now, who knows? Maybe the 12 Noon kickoff will remove the risk. I hope and pray that will be the case.
And thats why I said they still may cancel it, forecast are just educated guesses. But right now the forecast is for the storm to be over Florence, SC at halftime and be barely at tropical storm strength. We have a 20% chance of rain pretty much until midnight. The heavy rain isnt forecast to reach the area until Sunday late AM (which is why we are planning on heading back to Charleston on Monday). I do think the heavy rain over other parts of the state will lower the attendance, but much of the attending fanbase comes from the upstate and N Ga.
On the plus side, since yall dont have a game this weekend you at least have a team to pull for, GaSouthern.

Reactions: Zann77
This is a non issue. It's like saying an earthquake happened in SanDiego so you can play a game in San Francisco. The weather will be completely different in Clemson Saturday afternoon than in Conway. One of the dumbest posts ever on th his board.

NO team in the Carolina(s) or Virginia should be playing home games this weekend. No unnecessary travel, no getting caught in flash floods, no taking hotels, and most importantly, no taking extra first responders. Just like they said in Columbia during the 2015 flood. Don’t be out unless absolutely necessary, and also turn around, don’t drown. Because even if you get in trouble for being foolish, they’re still going to try and save your dumb a$$.

I’d bet money Clemmons is worried more about a potential 11-game resume come playoff time than anything, even though GSU will be 59-6 game, and ultimately just a scrimmage.

This is a non issue. It's like saying an earthquake happened in SanDiego so you can play a game in San Francisco. The weather will be completely different in Clemson Saturday afternoon than in Conway. One of the dumbest posts ever on th his board.

Yeah, and you are the one that made the stupid post. There is a hell a lot more distance between SD and SF than the coast of SC and the upstate. Plus, there is a hell of a lot of difference between an earthquake and a hurricane. The earthquake can be a lot more dangerous than a hurricane but a hurricane is harder to predict it's path of destruction.

Plus, the Big Picture you ignorant sobs can't understand is the fact a college game takes away much needed resources in other parts of the state where they are needed to save lives.

Last edited:
NO team in the Carolina(s) or Virginia should be playing home games this weekend. No unnecessary travel, no getting caught in flash floods, no taking hotels, and most importantly, no taking extra first responders. Just like they said in Columbia during the 2015 flood. Don’t be out unless absolutely necessary, and also turn around, don’t drown. Because even if you get in trouble for being foolish, they’re still going to try and save your dumb a$$.

I’d bet money Clemmons is worried more about a potential 11-game resume come playoff time than anything, even though GSU will be 59-6 game, and ultimately just a scrimmage.

clemmy doesn't care about anybody but themselves . Funny how local sports press doesn't questions them about playing while the whole state is under a hurricane warning or watch . Just like the big flood in 2015 Eyeroll

Everybody is afraid nowadays! Walmart closed two days ago because they lost a $190mil lawsuit due to a weather related death.

They are already having to rescue hundreds of people from this hurricane and it hasn’t made land fall yet.

What Dabo and the taters don’t get is even if the storm doesn’t affect their house , SC responders will need to help out NC . These guys are working around the clock to prepare. Roads have been reversed since Tuesday. Nursing facilities evacuated all over the state This takes extra manpower. Now they will have to worry about game day duties for CLEMSON. Smh.

Given a second chance to do the right thing the taters prove why CLEMSONING will always be deserving.

They are already having to rescue hundreds of people from this hurricane and it hasn’t made land fall yet.

What Dabo and the taters don’t get is even if the storm doesn’t affect their house , SC responders will need to help out NC . These guys are working around the clock to prepare. Roads have been reversed since Tuesday. Nursing facilities evacuated all over the state This takes extra manpower. Now they will have to worry about game day duties for CLEMSON. Smh.

Given a second chance to do the right thing the taters prove why CLEMSONING will always be deserving.
C'mon man, max winds to hit land has been registered at 90mph. Winds are barely hurricane force 75mph as it moves finally on shore. It hasn't even rained in Charleston with winds topping out at 9mph an hour ago.

They have rescued "up to 200 people with 150-200 more needing help due to rain and storm surge". So 400 people rescued, 200k without power is going to shut down the entire bordering state 36hrs later? I guess Atlanta Braves, Falcons, Panthers, Titans, Washington Nationals, etc, etc should not play either.

If this storm was Cat 3,4,5 when it hit land, then I would agree, but it's barely a cat 1. The only need the coastal area has is a few hundred flooded houses and they need lineman to get power back.

But if it takes a whole other state, Clemson fans, National Guard, state troopers from upstate, the Esso club staff, and Dabo to save 150 people that knew Florence was going to hit the NC/SC coast for what seems to be a month now, then by golly let's shut down the state to do it!

Single wide trailers don't even roll over in 75mph winds, as we all know they are always the first structures to get hit by storms, just because storms are so mean they have to pick on the little guys.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story...north-carolina-storm-surge-rescue/1300055002/

NO team in the Carolina(s) or Virginia should be playing home games this weekend.
I think that's a little extreme. I can't imagine that Blacksburg will have anything more than drizzle and blustery wind by gametime. I can understand, however, why East Carolina didn't feel comfortable making that road trip while a hurricane was threatening their homes back east. But most of Virginia isn't going to experience dangerous weather conditions from this storm.

I think Clemson probably should have cancelled or postponed the game, but I'm not terribly outraged that they didn't. Things will be fine.

Reactions: Triton20x

Everything goes down hill in Pickens
Thought y’all knew this?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Taters sent out a Press release for their fans this morning about the same time the hurricane made land fall. Narcissism at its best . Wyff has scrolling alerts this morning and warnings for latest updates and had taters press release included. Smh.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

Nobody has to go to the game if they do not want to go to the game. The map, that I looked at all day yesterday and again this morning looks like rain wont get to the upstate until 2am Sunday morning. Me thinks that you protest to much

Nobody has to go to the game if they do not want to go to the game. The map, that I looked at all day yesterday and again this morning looks like rain wont get to the upstate until 2am Sunday morning. Me thinks that you protest to much
I can appreciate your loyalties to you school/team in this case Clemson. We have many die hard fans for SC as well that will go the wall in defense of all things SC . But sometimes you have to admit as in this case when mistakes have been made, you will garner more respect from others.

I can appreciate your loyalties to you school/team in this case Clemson. We have many die hard fans for SC as well that will go the wall in defense of all things SC . But sometimes you have to admit as in this case when mistakes have been made, you will garner more respect from others.
I think whether mistakes have been made of not remains to be seen. The crowd will be smaller, the support will be less. Why don't we wait on the after-the-fact assessment?

Reactions: LazyIslander
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT