ADVERTISEMENT

Question about new Off Coordinator

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
I have read several things about him but have not been able to really find out what type of scheme he likes to run. I saw one place a possible spread type but nothing exact. Anyone know what style he plans to run?

also, curious as him being QB coach. never saw he had any past history with that position but did with O-Line. Thought that might be his position with coordinator title. Who for o-line coach now?

Not sure on scheme, but was set to take over as QB coach for the Panthers this year. Also both Mike Davis and Pharaoh Cooper have said they like the hire, which should hold weight as they have played for him.

Reactions: aagococks
He's been an assistant offensive line coach as well as TE's most recently. That points to a run-first style. And we'll have the horses for that. Endorsements from Cooper and Davis give me the same feeling. But no matter what scheme he wants to run, he'll probably have to adjust to our talent level. Looking at his wiki, he's qualified. It looks like he's coached every offensive position there is.

Last edited:
Roper was an analysis while Connor was with the Browns, I am sure Roper knows his stuff, but does he know how to coach it?

Davis and Cooper have seen Satterfield coach.
Roper's problem may have simply been that he was not as confident in his game plan and play calls as he was under Cutcliffe. Cutcliffe was always there to consult with and get advice from before.

That and Muschamp micromanaging everything, no doubt he was hesitant in his play-calling.
Not sure he did in that case. Cutcliffe's offense is exactly the type of offense that would fit Muschamp's philosophy. Cutcliffe as OC and Muschamp as DC would be a dangerous combination.

Roper was an analysis while Connor was with the Browns, I am sure Roper knows his stuff, but does he know how to coach it?

He’s been removed from the QB coach at NC State and placed over RBs of that tells you anything.

Reactions: Brace1

Good points. I had the same initial thought as Dizzy. I do feel more confident in this guy though.

Zone running schemes, not a lot of power running. Pass routes breaking over the middle making the throws easier on the QB, and a lot shallow crossing routes and stick routes. As has been previously mentioned, similar philosophy as Brady.
I like it. Somewhat similar to what we did with Shaw/Thompson. I just hope Doty can throw the fade.

Reactions: rogue cock
Good points. I had the same initial thought as Dizzy. I do feel more confident in this guy though.
My guess is the situations are apples-oranges. I think Shane already has his playbook.

I also think the RPO era at USC was not kind and there are better schemes for our situation.

RPO guy...it wasn't a good offense for us. This is still on Muschamp. Muschamp was never a mobile QB guy....and neither is Mike Bobo.

RPO guy...it wasn't a good offense for us. This is still on Muschamp. Muschamp was never a mobile QB guy....and neither is Mike Bobo.
RPO is not the zone-read. It does not require a mobile QB. It requires the QB to make a quick read of the defense and to decide whether a pass or handing the ball to the RB would more likely be effective. Puts a lot of responsibility on the QB to make the right read...not to run the ball himself.

Reactions: Dizzy01
My guess is the situations are apples-oranges. I think Shane already has his playbook.

I also think the RPO era at USC was not kind and there are better schemes for our situation.

You think someone that has never been a coordinator already has a playbook and is going to micromanage an OC?

I have read several things about him but have not been able to really find out what type of scheme he likes to run. I saw one place a possible spread type but nothing exact. Anyone know what style he plans to run?
Flexbone 💪🏼

You think someone that has never been a coordinator already has a playbook and is going to micromanage an OC?
You just stated 2 different things. I would suspect all coaches have multiple playbooks. You can even buy books on Amazon with plays as well as watch YouTube videos. Plays and schemes are in abundance.

As far as "micromanaging"...that's a stretch.
Do you think we should hire a HC who doesn't have a idea of what kind of offense he wants run?

Reactions: WingchunCock
RPO is not the zone-read. It does not require a mobile QB. It requires the QB to make a quick read of the defense and to decide whether a pass or handing the ball to the RB would more likely be effective. Puts a lot of responsibility on the QB to make the right read...not to run the ball himself.
But having a mobile QB available to run that system makes the offense even harder to defend. Having consistent line play will be the key to having a successful offense more than any other factor.

But having a mobile QB available to run that system makes the offense even harder to defend.
Only if the mobile QB is involved in the RPO option.
Of course, if your QB is Lamar Jackson, all bets are off. 🙂

But having a mobile QB available to run that system makes the offense even harder to defend. Having consistent line play will be the key to having a successful offense more than any other factor.
True. Having a mobile QB who is also an accurate passer will help any offense. Drew Brees has always been hard to control in a pocket....and can still run a bit when necessary despite being characterized as a "pro-style" QB.

Reactions: Flameout12
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT