ADVERTISEMENT

Question for all of you that have defended Roper...

cofcgamecock9

Jan 12, 2006
Actually this isn't for all of you because I have no issue with having an opinion.. If you liked Roper or you feel like he just needed more time, that is your right and so be it. I respect that.

But I have read 100 posts at least specifically directed at fans that wanted him gone that were responses like this one I just found in another thread. from Chucktowncock.

3 > 6 > 8 in two seasons
not good enough for some of our experts

I have seen several other posts say similar things and calling out those that want a change and say "well why don't you apply for the job so you can make those decisions." Another one I saw is "Yeah, I am sure you know more than Muschamp on who should be coaching."

Here is the thing.... those are valid points.

But now that it is evident that Muschamp is, in fact, letting Kurt Roper go.. what do you say about him? Is he an idiot for letting Roper go since you (the defenders of Roper) were hell bent on that he should still be here? Chucktowncock, do you think Muschamp is enough of an "expert" to make the call on Roper? How do you feel now that it is evident that Muschamp decided the same thing as 90% of the board? Are you upset?

Just curious.

Bottom line, many of us have been posting that Roper should be gone since after the Missouri game when we struggled to score on offense. We knew it was coming. And guess what, Muschamp agrees.

I will speak up for myself. I am one who was not ready to jump on the can Roper boat just yet. I believed progress was being made the first two years, and was willing to give him another year with our players in the system, and would have expected stability to lead to continued progress.

There is no doubt that I believe some of the grumbles had some affect on Muschamp making the decision. It was almost a no win situation. How do you recruit/save face when your fan base is already cannibalizing the OC. With that said Muschamp apparently is making the decision he feels is best for our program so I will leave it at that. I just hope we get a proven coodinator that will continue to help us rebuild our program. The players will have to learn a new system, and of course there will be growing pains, but if it helps us get better, that's all that matters. Muschamp is no stranger to changing OCs with Weis, Pease, and Roper all being coordinators during his UF tenure. (Something I would not like to see repeated at Carolina)

P.S. You can wait until our new OC is putting up 40 pts a game before you can rub it in! Jk -)

Reactions: vacock#
I for one am glad that Muschamp polled the board, took their advice, and decided to move on. I know we have a great coach when I consider that he agrees w/ 90% of the board. Thank heavens that we run the program this way!!! Is that what you want to hear? JC, I only joined this board recently but I am glad it's not representative of the people that actually show up on Saturdays.

Actually this isn't for all of you because I have no issue with having an opinion.. If you liked Roper or you feel like he just needed more time, that is your right and so be it. I respect that.

But I have read 100 posts at least specifically directed at fans that wanted him gone that were responses like this one I just found in another thread. from Chucktowncock.

3 > 6 > 8 in two seasons

I have seen several other posts say similar things and calling out those that want a change and say "well why don't you apply for the job so you can make those decisions." Another one I saw is "Yeah, I am sure you know more than Muschamp on who should be coaching."

But now that it is evident that Muschamp is, in fact, letting Kurt Roper go.. what do you say about him? Is he an idiot for letting Roper go since you (the defenders of Roper) were hell bent on that he should still be here? Chucktowncock, do you think Muschamp is enough of an "expert" to make the call on Roper? How do you feel now that it is evident that Muschamp decided the same thing as 90% of the board? Are you upset?

Just curious.

Bottom line, many of us have been posting that Roper should be gone since after the Missouri game when we struggled to score on offense. We knew it was coming. And guess what, Muschamp agrees.

He has been given many opportunities and everywhere hes been there is no evidence of anything good to come. He has not improved the offense and no real progression of the players and most would say regressed. Its time to move on, to a young offensive minded coordinator or we can do what gamecock fans have done since ive been alive (39) and say "wait till next year"!

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13

3 > 6 > 8 in two seasons

Just curious.

am confident that our head coach did the right thing

is it not possible to make an observation without it being regarded as a "defense" of someone whose name I never mentioned?

there's nothing quite like free flowing venom

go cocks!

Reactions: DC-99 and DarkCock
I was for Roper, but after the Clemson game where we didn't even attempt to do anything imaginative I changed. I think our talent is not being used to its full potential. I think we need to get a proven young OC. Bobby may be a great guy, but I don't want this to be his first Rodeo at the Div 1 level.

I was for Roper, but after the Clemson game where we didn't even attempt to do anything imaginative I changed. I think our talent is not being used to its full potential. I think we need to get a proven young OC. Bobby may be a great guy, but I don't want this to be his first Rodeo at the Div 1 level.
i was willing to give him another year but imo clemson dared us to run and we were successful doing so...but it seemed like we were saying hell no, we wanna throw it regardless of the defense you are playing.....other than that i believe that if the oline looked as good early in the year as it did last couple of games that we could have some success....i get the feeling that bentley worried too much about throwing ints and was throwing tight all year....last year he would just let it go and trust his receiver.....maybe deebo being out hurt him more than we know....we do need to be more creative in the run game but it still takes execution by the players....i hope the downers are right and we have a prolific offense next year.....time will tell

He has been given many opportunities and everywhere hes been there is no evidence of anything good to come. He has not improved the offense and no real progression of the players and most would say regressed. Its time to move on, to a young offensive minded coordinator or we can do what gamecock fans have done since ive been alive (39) and say "wait till next year"!

You do realize, that this whole paragraph could be written about Will Muschamp? And it'd be just as accurate?

Reactions: drawplay000
worst_thread_ever.jpg

Reactions: ken in sacramento
Muschamp never should have hired Roper. Period. Why bring in a retread from an unsuccessful staff at Florida when he could have distanced himself?

ADVERTISEMENT