ADVERTISEMENT

Question to pass the time. Connor Mitch...

Will not be the starter by game 6. Spurrier is going to hitch his wagon to Nunez at the first opportunity for one last run at glory.

Will not be the starter by game 6. Spurrier is going to hitch his wagon to Nunez at the first opportunity for one last run at glory.
Not gonna happen. Spurrier is not gonna try to win with a fr. after putting 3 seasons of work in with Mitch. Connor had more upside coming out of hs than Nunez why do you think Spurrier would be so quick to pull him?

1.Mitch hasnt been working for 3 years..maybe 6-7 months.
2. Mitch cant stretch the play..3rd and X.
3. Future at SC is dual threat QB. Nunez or McIllwain.

1.Mitch hasnt been working for 3 years..maybe 6-7 months.
2. Mitch cant stretch the play..3rd and X.
3. Future at SC is dual threat QB. Nunez or McIllwain.
Only been working maybe 6 or 7 months? Cant stretch the play? Where are you getting your info? You sound like someone who has no idea what he's talking about. Two seasons ago Mitch was the future of Gamecock football. I don't see where anything has happen to change that. I agree that Nunez and McIllwain are great Qb's and it just goes to show that we are set at Qb for years to come. SEC championship and many more years of kicking clemsux butt. Get ready for the beat down in November

Reactions: oakley51
Mitch is more mobile than DT and he had a pretty decent year last year.
Who knows how he'll handle the pressure though. Same can be said for Nunez.

Only been working maybe 6 or 7 months? Cant stretch the play? Where are you getting your info? You sound like someone who has no idea what he's talking about. Two seasons ago Mitch was the future of Gamecock football. I don't see where anything has happen to change that. I agree that Nunez and McIllwain are great Qb's and it just goes to show that we are set at Qb for years to come. SEC championship and many more years of kicking clemsux butt. Get ready for the beat down in November
You obviously dont know much if you dont know what's happened since then..

Reactions: conCOCKshon
You obviously dont know much if you dont know what's happened since then..
Other than the fact that we have had 2 good Qb's ahead of him in Shaw and Thompson I don't think anything has happened. So by all means tell us what has happened. This should be hilarious

Reactions: Tigerof66
I agree about Mitch. Spurrier is committed to giving Mitch a shot........plus, being the athlete Nunez is, and if Mcllwain is as special as everybody says he is. I could see Nunez at WR.

Neither Nunez or Mcillwain has taken a college snap but they are already great QBs? I don't understand the fuss over Nunez. He wasn't ranked nationally and wasn't even the highest ranked QB in Ga. last year. It seems Mcillwain has a ton of potential but he's a ways off from constributing. Will he be the highest ranked QB for Spurrier since Garcia? Seems like he had a good week at Elite 11.

Does nobody on here realize that Mitch broke several of Chris Leak's north Carolina high school passing records? I mean let's not crown him king before his first start, but with Wilds and Williams in the backfield and pharoh, deebo Samuel, and 6'4" 230lb googer on the edge, I expect the offense to be a lot better than pretty much everybody on this board

Posts like makeplays always amuse me. No evidence whatsoever to back up his supposed knowledge on Mitch.I have no knowledge on what Mich has done or not done and I doubt he does either.Right now his post stands as one persons opinion. Nothing more.

Under, no way with the offensive line we have and the lack of receivers, with the exception of Cooper but he will see plenty of double teams.

Over 2200, at least I hope or we are in trouble.

For those talking about Nunez coming in and starting by mid-season, I am saying no way. First, he was not here in January, and second he played for a poorly coached high school program.

Posts like makeplays always amuse me. No evidence whatsoever to back up his supposed knowledge on Mitch.I have no knowledge on what Mich has done or not done and I doubt he does either.Right now his post stands as one persons opinion. Nothing more.

What I find amusing is that he ONLY posts about his disapproval of Mitch, our future starter. Maybe he's really Perry, in disguise. ☺

For those talking about Nunez coming in and starting by mid-season, I am saying no way. First, he was not here in January, and second he played for a poorly coached high school program.

If anything, he will end up taking Coopers snaps at wildcat.

yeah no freshman can play QB at this level lol

yeah no freshman can play QB at this level lol

Never stated that he would not start because he was a Freshman. Most QBs that start their true freshman year comes into the program in January. Nunez is a good talent and has the tools, but how fast can he develop those tools. His high school program was not the best. Now if McIlwain was coming in this year instead of next, he would have a chance at starting.

Never stated that he would not start because he was a Freshman. Most QBs that start their true freshman year comes into the program in January. Nunez is a good talent and has the tools, but how fast can he develop those tools. His high school program was not the best. Now if McIlwain was coming in this year instead of next, he would have a chance at starting.

Hopefully Nunez will be ready. SEC is ruff on QB's. What if mitch has to sit a game or two. Who will be number 2?

As far as Mitch, after a couple took exception to my saying that he wouldn't be the starter after game 6. Here is my take on it. Spurrier has proven often in the past that he will play two QBs. Sometimes on a whim. Even though Shaw was the starter, you always saw Thompson somewhere along the line. Last year you never saw Mitch. Even in those situations where Thompson would be wild high at the first of a game, or those two, or three, plays in every game where he got that deer in the headlights look and would take a drive killing sack as opposed to just throwing it away. Add to that is just how Spurrier is addressing the QB situation with the press. If Mitch was indeed the man, one would imagine that Spurrier would be talking him up to boost his confidence. But he isnt. Basically throwing the competition wide open. Some say that is about competition. But the QB slot was never up for competition last year when Thompson was the understudy rising to starter. It was made very clear from the press conference after the bowl game that Thompson was the man. Now maybe Nunez won't be as good as all hope. If not, maybe Mitch does stay the starter for the year. But if Nunez shows anything at all, I think you see him sooner rather than later.

If Nunez doesn't redshirt, he'll only be a wildcat quarterback. Go YouTube his highlights. He's incredibly raw and needs coaching. I agree with the poster that said if McIlwain was coming in he'd have an honest chance to be the starter.

What concerns me is that he could play pretty well but not have the results we want, and lots of people (especially on this Board) will start complaining and bashing him. We need to consider the circumstances. For one thing, we only have ONE proven receiver with experience coming back this year. Pharoah will get a lot of attention this year, so some other guys who have no experience will have to step up and make plays. Another concern is the OL. We have some guys back, but our best one left for the NFL last year. This might not be a big problem in that with Matulius there isn't much of a drop off in talent or experience, IF he can stay healthy. He has not been able to in any year thus far. He will be a first year starter and he WILL make mistakes, but hopefully he will make more good plays than mistakes. I just hope a bunch of negative Nancys don't jump on him early on and give him a chance to grow into the position.

You need to understand that whoever is projected as 2nd string is certainly better than the projected 1st string. People here certainly know much more than any coach!

As long as Mitch can hit the short/medium routes with regularity (and occasional big plays), I think the offense will be okay. Even with Cann graduating, we still have a solid OL. Plus, our RB stable is solid with Wilds/Williams/Carson, and the WR group is extremely talented (albeit raw). If Mitch can hit around 60% of his passes and throw for 200-220 yds. per game, I think we'll be effective. To me, the critical issue is whether or not the DL can get consistent pressure on the QB and improve against the run. Go Cocks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT