ADVERTISEMENT

Quick hitters from Spurrier's Sunday teleconference (free)

"No sense of guys quitting, but wishes USC had more "leadership guys." Still trying to find our best players. We've just got to keep grinding, find out who our best players are and try to put a good team on the field."

You mean, you need to do the very basics of your job, which you are admittedly failing to do. After spring and summer practice, three games, and several million in coaches' salary, you need to find the "best players and TRY to put a good team on the field. Yeah, that's enlightening. Maybe it's time to TRY to stop with the arrogant, condescending act with the media and fans and to think about real answers.

And as to leadership, you are recruiting these guys! Leadership is a strength that's pretty easy to identify and to evaluate, if you prioritize it. It leaves a wake of success and a vocal group of followers to look for. Maybe you should try to identify and recruit that trait if it's not just there for you. You and your lunkhead coaches don't have it, so how do you expect strong leadership to just show up on your team? You know, the team that YOU built the past few years. Maybe there's a leader in the many non-qualifiers you guys found.

Geez. Spurrier is maddening.

Last edited:
I would take some players with game day skills and SEC talent. If you have leadership skills with no physical traits, what does that get you?

I would take some players with game day skills and SEC talent. If you have leadership skills with no physical traits, what does that get you?

I don't disagree. But Spurrier & Co. have the ability to find those with neither SEC talent, game day athleticism, heart, leadership, or a win anyway attitude. The championship baseball teams didn't have the highest level talent. But they had incredible field leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT