ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking Hoops Coaches

Jan 1, 2005
Alright, let's have a little fun. Since Frank McGuire the Cocks have had 7 coaches: Bill Foster, George Felton, Steve Newton, Eddie Fogler, Dave Odom, Darrin Horn and Frank Martin, rank em, from best to worst.

TIER 1
1) E. Fogler
2) F. Martin
3) D. Odom
TIER 2
4) G. Felton (could’ve/would’ve been @ #2)
5) B. Foster
TIER 3
6) D. Horn
7) S. Newton

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
1) F. McGuire
2) E. Fogler

3) F. Martin
4) G. Felton (could’ve/would’ve been @ #2)

5) B. Foster

6) D. Horn
7) S. Newton

Agree that George Felton could have been higher if he didn’t have the alcohol issues or if we could have found a way to work with them. I gave Martin the slight nod over Fogler just because Fogler could not win a tournament game to save his life and the burnout was bad and obvious at the end. Fogler was a better Xs and Os coach than any we had, maybe even McGuire but with the exception of a short 2-3 year run nowhere near the talent.

Horn and Newton were in the cellar but at least Steve Newton appeared to be a nice guy in over his head. Darrin Horn was a prick and encouraged guys to transfer out after it was obvious he needed to go. So being a douchebag and a bad coach gets you at the bottom of the list for me.

Reactions: funktavious
Thanks for the replies, just thought it could be an interesting discussion. I agree with the difference in the terribleness of Horn and Newton, one was at least a decent person and one was Darrin Horn

• Haha
Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Alright, let's have a little fun. Since Frank McGuire the Cocks have had 7 coaches: Bill Foster, George Felton, Steve Newton, Eddie Fogler, Dave Odom, Darrin Horn and Frank Martin, rank em, from best to worst.
After McGuire I'd say 1. Martin 2, Fogler 3. Felton 4. Odom 5. Foster 6a. Horn 6b. Newton

I've always thought George Felton was probably the most underrated USC coach ever. 5 years = 3 years with 19 wins or more. But only 1 NCAA and 1 NIT.

Being completely honest that’s about as good a run as we have in a 5 year span.

Problem with Felton is they could look dominant for a few weeks and then lose to LaSalle, Tulane, Southern Miss, etc....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT