ADVERTISEMENT

Ray Tanner

I don't. Never have. Though I thought he could've handled the football HC search a little better and a little less publicly, I still liked who we ended up with.
I questioned his football hire but appear to be dead wrong. Love what Champ is doing. Made a mistake with C.H. but he owned up to it and let him go when many thought he didn't have the balls to make a move.

Reactions: rogue cock
Yes, some posters think so - but not me :)

My question is this: Why on earth would anyone want the job of an AD. Fundraising, administration, and hiring/firing cannot be that much fun.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
No, He's doing well, but the baseball hire of Hollbrook was a payback deal for getting Holbrook here to recruit the players that won us two Natty's.
I knew/expected CH would fail,;all the signs pointed that way. But he had to be given the chance, he (CH) earned it. Bit I do wish Tanner had let CH go a year earlier.
Other than this gripe, Tanner is doing well. Being an AD is very difficult in the present and can really only be judged in hindsight. I am very comfortable with what Tanner is/has done.

Football: making progress. Top 25 now.
Men’s Basketball: made a final 4, still back Frank
Women’s Basketball: Staley is 2nd only to Geno. Great shape
Baseball: on right track
Men’s Soccer: Fire Berson
Women’s Soccer: great shape
Softball: much improved great shape

Don’t know every sport but that’s enough to say Tanner is doing his job...except we need a new men’s soccer coach. Low priority but long overdue.

People on this site will complain about anything, but that's because they treat Gamecock athletics like a video game. Fire this person, hire this person, things aren't perfect, it must be Ray Tanner's fault.

He is doing fine by me. The department has never been better. He is not responsible for every loss.

We are still peeing on walls and running out of water at football games. It's madness! :D

Totally agree with the OP should have never hired that moron Muschamp or that doofus Kingston.

Did the Gamecocks just win?
__/______________\
Yes______________No
_|________________|
No______________Yes

Reactions: DrMickey

Berson needs a different job in the athletic dept. We need a fresh outlook and recruiting freak for Men’s Soccer.

I think it can still go either way with him. Muschamp has to play out positively, which seems to be on its way to happening. But if men's basketball continues to flounder, how he handles that will be very defining. Baseball looks better than it looked a month ago, but where that is going with Kingston is yet to clarify itself, and Ray owns that hiring. I'd say the ground he's standing on at present is firm, but his is a frangible position. Every year, ADs at some pretty major schools get the ax. every year.

Berson needs a different job in the athletic dept. We need a fresh outlook and recruiting freak for Men’s Soccer.
Unless the SEC is looking at adding men's soccer, we ought to drop it. South Carolina should have women's gymnastics. It's big in this league.

We can't give Kingston credit if this is the case. Most of his players were recruit by the prior staff.
May have been recruited by the previous staff, but we all can agree he has certainly coached them better. A great example is Madison. This year he's the hitter we expected him to be the three previous years.

However, I think it speaks well of his future recruiting given that he held as much of the 2017 class together, as possible, during a coaching change.

Also, my reply was pointing out that he was giving recruiting credit to the wrong person. A great deal of our productive upperclassmen on the 1st WS team were transfers.

May have been recruited by the previous staff, but we all can agree he has certainly coached them better. A great example is Madison. This year he's the hitter we expected him to be the three previous years.

However, I think it speaks well of his future recruiting given that he held as much of the 2017 class together, as possible, during a coaching change.

Also, my reply was pointing out that he was giving recruiting credit to the wrong person. A great deal of our productive upperclassmen on the 1st WS team were transfers.
I 100% agree. Just goes to show that you can struggle with good players.

M.K. is asking some committed players (committed to prior staff) to look elsewhere. He wants his players in the program. Can't blame him.

USC and Auburn only 2 schools to
Play in New years day bowl
Super regionals

In golf terminology, I'd say he's at level par.
Muschamp- tap in birdie putt (count it)
C.H.- Bogey
M.K.- Looks like a 3 foot birdie put (not in the cup yet but likely will be a circle on the scorecard)
F.M.- Yet to be determined.
Facilities, other sports- birdie

I would say he's one under at this point with a very good chance of getting to two under.

I 100% agree. Just goes to show that you can struggle with good players.

M.K. is asking some committed players (committed to prior staff) to look elsewhere. He wants his players in the program. Can't blame him.
Do you mean guys coming in this August?

king wardWell-Known Member
New

Unless the SEC is looking at adding men's soccer, we ought to drop it. South Carolina should have women's gymnastics. It's big in this league.

Disagree...King. Berson has fielded some excellent teams (including a national runner-up), but hasn’t been competitive recently. We need someone that recruits at a high level and be a great tactician.

Never have never will. Some still bitter he left coaching thinking he was going to do it forever. He wasn't. Great face for our program for years to come.

Reactions: viennacocks
Never have never will. Some still bitter he left coaching thinking he was going to do it forever. He wasn't. Great face for our program for years to come.
Agreed. The haters seem to have disappeared for the time being. They will reappear as soon as we struggle on the field / court.

Do some posters still feel he is in over his head? Like some honest replies .

Like others on here, I never did. I don't do armchair AD anyway.

And how do we judge? By wins, GPA, budget, perception of athletic program as a whole, fundraising, scheduling, handling of coaches -- all of that to me seems to be a part the man's job and I probably left out things.

Nobody hits a home run every time at bat, but RT seems to me to be winning more than he loses by a pretty good margin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT