ADVERTISEMENT

Reading between the lines: sure sounds to me like Shane wants Doty to be the guy

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
“Luke just got his cast off on Sunday, so I don’t think we’re going to name a (starting) quarterback until we see what his satiation is. … He’s in a boot right now,” Beamer said. “I talked to him before practice. He’s able to take the boot off and move around a little bit.”

Game 1 is 11 days away, Doty has been totally out of commission for a couple weeks and is currently in a boot and able to take it off and "move around a little bit." But Beamer wants to hold off on naming a starter until they see what Doty's situation is. Just sounds to me like Doty must have been decently ahead of the other guys. It's going to be down to the wire whether Luke can be physically ready for Game 1. Even if he's physically ready to go for Game 1, he will have missed a major chunk of practice time in a new offense. Yet the coaches want to wait and see. If the competition had been close, I wouldn't think the coaches would be pushing the decision off, waiting solely to see how he progresses in his recovery.

Reactions: Macc Maine
Coach speech. Plus gotta give it to a kid that wants to play at any cost. Usually the good ones do. Aka Connor. I’m guessing if he’s ok to go. Then he will start and play a little and then put in the others. Especially if we score 2-3 quick scores.

Reactions: Macc Maine
Coach speech. Plus gotta give it to a kid that wants to play at any cost. Usually the good ones do. Aka Connor. I’m guessing if he’s ok to go. Then he will start and play a little and then put in the others. Especially if we score 2-3 quick scores.

I agree it's coach speak. Translation: "None of the other guys are close to Luke right now."

If the scenario you suggest turns out to be accurate and Doty can step in after missing more than 2 weeks of practices in a new offense and still be the starter for Game 1, then there must not have been much of a competition.

Sounded more to me like "We know Luke isn't playing against Eastern Illinois and I'm not ready to tell y'all yet that my Grad Assistant that just put pads back on a few days ago is going to start in his place"

Luke is still in a boot. He is not cleared to even run around, much less take on any contact drills. He's got to get to that point before he can engage in practice prep for any game. And THEN, they have to look at his foot AFTER those kind of practices, to see how his foot responds to them, because it will be his FOOT that will make the final call here. The medical staff, and then the coaching staff, will make their decisions all off of that.

I seriously doubt Luke will be ready for Game 1, but he shouldn't be needed. There's a good chance that he may not be ready for Game 2, but there's still time, and he IS progressing from a cast to a boot, so lets focus on that positivity....

“Luke just got his cast off on Sunday, so I don’t think we’re going to name a (starting) quarterback until we see what his satiation is. … He’s in a boot right now,” Beamer said. “I talked to him before practice. He’s able to take the boot off and move around a little bit.”

Game 1 is 11 days away, Doty has been totally out of commission for a couple weeks and is currently in a boot and able to take it off and "move around a little bit." But Beamer wants to hold off on naming a starter until they see what Doty's situation is. Just sounds to me like Doty must have been decently ahead of the other guys. It's going to be down to the wire whether Luke can be physically ready for Game 1. Even if he's physically ready to go for Game 1, he will have missed a major chunk of practice time in a new offense. Yet the coaches want to wait and see. If the competition had been close, I wouldn't think the coaches would be pushing the decision off, waiting solely to see how he progresses in his recovery.
Every indication from the coaches since the start of practice has been the job belongs to Doty- clearly the only competition is for backup duties.

How can you all say this, I've read here where there is clearly only one elite arm on staff and it's not even close, and it's not Doty!

How can you all say this, I've read here where there is clearly only one elite arm on staff and it's not even close, and it's not Doty!
200.gif

Reactions: Lakecock1
I don't care who starts Game 1 as long as the starter of Game 2 is ready to play. Game 1 is against Eastern Illinois. If we can't beat them by multiple TDs with one of our backup QBs, it's going to be a long season anyway. Hand the ball off to the running backs every play if you have to and let Doty have the week off to fully heal up.

I think CSB wants Doty to at least get a few reps in that first game so that he will be more comfortable going on the road at ECU. As someone mentioned yesterday on the board, this is ECU's Superbowl and they have a dangerous coach and hostile crowd. But, players got to play so we will see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT