ADVERTISEMENT

Real Updates/ Who we have talked to so far..

Gamecock Lifer

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2008
Josh Kendall of the Athletic is reporting (I feel bad linking other sites here but you can find this with a little digging pretty easy) that our administration have already “met face to face” (officially interviewed?) Jamey Chadwell. They have scheduled face to face interviews with Beamer and Satterfield as well and have had phone conversations with Monken, Napier and Freeze.. So, that is the biggest most concrete “this is what is actually happening” update I have seen. I don’t think anyone on this list is a surprise (Satterfield is to me a bit just to see they already scheduled with him but not a few others, but I have heard his name tossed around..), and it seems to indicate “where there is smoke there is fire” when it comes to this search. I am not terribly upset about any of these options... Monken is a stretch, I don’t think anyone expects us to hire an option guy and I would be shocked if they offered Freeze because of character issues in his past, but do not know the future and cannot say with confidence if he would win here or not. I am less excited by/impressed Satterfield(edit-fixed it Okla!) than the other coaches on this list personally, but even so he is not a terrible option!

Notable names missing?
Anybody surprised by the speed/lack of speed in their movement?
Anybody surprised by any names mentioned in this update?

I can only assume Napier’s covid diagnosis coupled with his pursuit of a conf championship has slowed progress with him...

He also says things should really ramp up after Thanksgiving. It has been tossed around that a deadline for the hire would be around the early signing date but as was discussed in another thread recently- that does not mean we are likely to get a guy on board in time to meaningfully affect the signings we make in that early period..

Last edited:
A lot of my friends out of state mention Chadwell and Freeze. I tend to agree. Who is Strickland? Seth? Phil?

A lot of my friends out of state mention Chadwell and Freeze. I tend to agree. Who is Strickland? Seth? Phil?
Damnit... That was a typo... I meant Satterfield🤦‍♂️ I will fix it. No clue where strickland came from! I need to go to sleep man it is getting late! LOL

I honestly don't know if Satterfield would even consider us. Louisville is a really nice place and Papa has big money.
Yeah, I just don’t get that one but I (clearly can’t even get his name right) know very little about the guy or what motivates him so... 🤷‍♂️

Too many names floating around right now, but this was the best update I had seen... Maybe it gives us some idea of who we are really looking at. TOS has been updating a free recruiting board and detailing momentum shifts but this was the first comments I read about who we have actually talked to or interviewed. I feel like Josh Kendall is a reliable source.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Josh Kendall of the Athletic is reporting (I feel bad linking other sites here but you can find this with a little digging pretty easy) that our administration have already “met face to face” (officially interviewed?) Jamey Chadwell. They have scheduled face to face interviews with Beamer and Satterfield as well and have had phone conversations with Monken, Napier and Freeze.. So, that is the biggest most concrete “this is what is actually happening” update I have seen. I don’t think anyone on this list is a surprise (Satterfield is to me a bit just to see they already scheduled with him but not a few others, but I have heard his name tossed around..), and it seems to indicate “where there is smoke there is fire” when it comes to this search. I am not terribly upset about any of these options... Monken is a stretch, I don’t think anyone expects us to hire an option guy and I would be shocked if they offered Freeze because of character issues in his past, but do not know the future and cannot say with confidence if he would win here or not. I am less excited by/impressed Satterfield(edit-fixed it Okla!) than the other coaches on this list personally, but even so he is not a terrible option!

Notable names missing?

I can only assume Napier’s covid diagnosis coupled with his pursuit of a conf championship has slowed progress with him...

He also says things should really ramp up after Thanksgiving. It has been tossed around that a deadline for the hire would be around the early signing date but as was discussed in another thread recently- that does not mean we are likely to get a guy on board in time to meaningfully affect the signings we make in that early period..

Who in the AD leaked this info to Josh Kendall? Which one of those coaches that we have reportedly interviewed would want their boss know and/ or their current players to know that they were interviewing somewhere else? Maybe all of them want it known, for leverage. Maybe the AD wanted it known for whatever reason.

Hope he's at the top
I don't. Having said that, I think it bears mentioning that I would fully support any of these guys. I wouldn't like it at all if Monken were hired, but I would still support him and hope that the sheer discipline he would likely bring would at least change the culture. If Beamer is hired, I'm not going to assume he would fail. The fact that he has had no experience as a head coach OR coordinator is just scary to me. I don't put much weight on what former players want. Look at the backlash from some former and "current" players when Muschamp was let go. In other words, they thought he should stay because he was their coach. The same thing could be said for Beamer. Yes, the players who were on the team think he's a great guy and good coach, but how much of that is just loyalty?

Reactions: PC31
The information you seek is in the insiders forum.
Often the information found in such places is either available simultaneously somewhere else on the web or is released shortly after for free through other outlets (not meaning reposting information found in TIF). I don't judge people who like to know things as early as possible, but I'm willing to wait and find out a little later without having to pirate information. Just a personal choice.

Notable names missing?

Another source has come out and said Satterfield won't be interviewing. Satterfield himself said he's flattered that his name was mentioned for another job, but he's happy at Louisville. Take it FWIW.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
It’s not going great from an optics perspective. Freeze and Satterfield have distanced themselves from the job, Satterfield very publicly so. Jeff Monken was leaked as a candidate for some reason, undermining everyone’s already shaken faith in this administration. Various media personalities have taken shots at the position, saying it’s beneath someone like Steve Sarkisian.

We’re at a point now where the only people who are reported to be clearly interested in the job are Coastal Carolina’s head coach and a life long position coach and sometimes assistant to the head coach in Shane Beamer.

The only possible saving grace is that, perhaps, this is Billy Napier’s job and the rest is mostly noise and clickbait. But much like the process that resulted in the Muschamp hire, South Carolina is being laughed at again.

If Beamer is hired, I'm not going to assume he would fail. The fact that he has had no experience as a head coach OR coordinator is just scary to me.

Well, you can look at it this way.

Since 1989 ( a span of 31 years) our HBC’s have consisted of a prior HBC (Sparky), an OC (Buffet Brad), two HOF HBC’s (Lou And SOS), and another HBC with SEC experience.

The only two that had any real level of success here both threw their hands in the air and quit in frustration.

I’m not saying Beamer will be good, or he’ll be bad. But at least he’s pretty much immersed himself in winning programs for the last 20 years.

Times change, maybe his approach will work. I’d be interested to hear his plan, as long as it doesn’t include Third and Long Strong as DC.

It’s not going great from an optics perspective. Freeze and Satterfield have distanced themselves from the job, Satterfield very publicly so. Jeff Monken was leaked as a candidate for some reason, undermining everyone’s already shaken faith in this administration. Various media personalities have taken shots at the position, saying it’s beneath someone like Steve Sarkisian.

We’re at a point now where the only people who are reported to be clearly interested in the job are Coastal Carolina’s head coach and a life long position coach and sometimes assistant to the head coach in Shane Beamer.

The only possible saving grace is that, perhaps, this is Billy Napier’s job and the rest is mostly noise and clickbait. But much like the process that resulted in the Muschamp hire, South Carolina is being laughed at again.

yeah this happens at pretty much every job opening, our fans are just extra sensitive.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer

I think you are over exaggerating the negatives.. It has only been like 10 days, Freeze has said nothing specific except standard coach speak and he was never going to be the hire regardless of his interest level (said it a thousand times- not a character fit with our president, sure maybe we overlook it... ) so it saves face if he makes it seem like HE had no interest... Satterfield should not have been in the running anyways as far I am concerned- decent coach I guess, but unimpressive to me with limited connections here. It makes sense those two candidates would fall out of the running the fastest (if indeed Freeze even has?)...

Chadwell makes way more sense as a candidate here than Satterfield and has been impressive at Coastal. Beamer has strong ties to our area and 20 years of experience in coaching with glowing accolades and accomplishments everywhere he has been- those glowing accolades from current admin and former staff and players made him an obvious candidate and he will get a shot soon whether here or elsewhere. Probably not likely his first shot is at an SEC school, but none of that means he will not be successful if we do take a chance on him.

Napier is and has been the top choice according to most close to the search and being as he is infected with Covid right now, we can’t very well interview him face to face even if he found time during his football season which would not be likely.

There are always leaks in coaching hires and miss-information and candidates that the fans don’t really like... Monken fits that bill but it was just common sense we would contact the man. Caslen raves about him and what they accomplished at Army turning that program around.. Anybody who didn’t think he would at least get a phone call was not thinking clearly.

I don’t have any issue with the search process thus far, and now it is a Hiliday week, so very little will happen for the next few days... It all seems to make sense to me.

Reactions: rogue cock
Who in the AD leaked this info to Josh Kendall? Which one of those coaches that we have reportedly interviewed would want their boss know and/ or their current players to know that they were interviewing somewhere else? Maybe all of them want it known, for leverage. Maybe the AD wanted it known for whatever reason.

Chadwell earns $275k per year. He is the lowest paid coach in the Sunbelt and by far the lowest paid coach of a Top 20 team. If I were him, I’d want the entire world to know that somebody’s about to cut me a big check.

Well, you can look at it this way.

Since 1989 ( a span of 31 years) our HBC’s have consisted of a prior HBC (Sparky), an OC (Buffet Brad), two HOF HBC’s (Lou And SOS), and another HBC with SEC experience.

The only two that had any real level of success here both threw their hands in the air and quit in frustration.

I’m not saying Beamer will be good, or he’ll be bad. But at least he’s pretty much immersed himself in winning programs for the last 20 years.

Times change, maybe his approach will work. I’d be interested to hear his plan, as long as it doesn’t include Third and Long Strong as DC.
I think this is a fair assessment of his chances here- he is not going to walk into an interview with a contract laid out and our staff begging him to sign. Beamer especially will have to sell his PLAN to our admin if he wants to really be seriously considered. A few days ago Heath was taking about Beamer and compared what he needs to do to Stoops at Ky. He presented a plan that was different from what most Ky coaches have tried- focusing more on the midwest than the SE- and to a great degree it has worked... He has made Ky better broadly speaking and that is because he is not in Florida and Ga recruiting against FLORIDA AND GEORGIA AND BAMA... and he is selling the SEC to kids who are mostly recruited by the Big 10/12... Kentucky wasn’t going to the playoffs on this plan but they have won more with Stoops than most coaches. If Beamer can pinpoint a viable strategy for success and has some good ideas of staff he could bring with him, I think he has a real shot... IF Napier Falls through that is.

Reactions: polo-loco

I don’t think Freeze or Satterfield were very high on the list to begin with. This isn’t like RichRod coming out and saying no like last time. At least not yet.

Well this search might really slow down with Caslen now announcing he has Covid! 😬

I don’t get the disdain for Chadwell. He would be a legit hire, especially considering 1) he’d bring most of his staff with him, including a VERY good DC and 2) the QB that Chadwell is currently 8-0 with is literally a 2 star version of Doty.

I’ll agree that Napier would be my top choice. But Chadwell would be my clear second choice. They’d both be head and shoulders better than Beamer who IMO would fail spectacularly. And IF Freese were to come here, he’d show no loyalty and would be gone to greener pastures the first time he won 8-9 games. Either Chadwell or Napier are the type who could come here, win, and stay for a long time.

I don’t get the disdain for Chadwell. He would be a legit hire, especially considering 1) he’d bring most of his staff with him, including a VERY good DC and 2) the QB that Chadwell is currently 8-0 with is literally a 2 star version of Doty.

I’ll agree that Napier would be my top choice. But Chadwell would be my clear second choice. They’d both be head and shoulders better than Beamer who IMO would fail spectacularly. And IF Freese were to come here, he’d show no loyalty and would be gone to greener pastures the first time he won 8-9 games. Either Chadwell or Napier are the type who could come here, win, and stay for a long time.
This X 1,000,000! The only difference I have is I prefer Chadwell over Napier, but I would be perfectly fine if Napier were hired. I think they have both shown they have the chops as head coaches. The only reason I prefer Chadwell (slightly) is that he has been a head coach longer and has repeated his success at different schools. But, like I said, I'd be tickled pink if Napier were to be named the next head coach of USC.

Driving up to Charlottesville for Turkey day, passing through Liberty’s campus now! Ya’ll want me to go pay Freeze a visit and see what his real interest level is?

Reactions: 43cocks

I don’t get anti-Chadwell sentiment either. Seems the CSU issue was minor and not his doing, he is a winner, young, offensive monded, SC guy, wants to be here! What’s not to like? Agree about Napier too!

I’d like to know what the numbers are. That is, if the Moneyball types have ever run the numbers. Statistically speaking, which groups fared the best among a)former P5 head coaches, b) lower level head coaches, c) successful coordinators, d) other assistants who were good recruiters.

past performance is not an indicator of future success with any individual, but I was simply wondering what the lowest (or highest) risk hire would be based on real data.

I’d like to know what the numbers are. That is, if the Moneyball types have ever run the numbers. Statistically speaking, which groups fared the best among a)former P5 head coaches, b) lower level head coaches, c) successful coordinators, d) other assistants who were good recruiters.

past performance is not an indicator of future success with any individual, but I was simply wondering what the lowest (or highest) risk hire would be based on real data.
I have often wondered this as well. So much is made of what level a coach has coached or what position he's held. Probably the statistics will end up making it seems like a wash, but I would like to see it for myself. As we have seen just on this board, different people can look at exactly the same data sets and come away with vastly different impressions.

It's not 100% accurate as an indicator of future performance, but it sure seems like guys who have been successful HCs at _multiple_ schools are the most likely to succeed at their next school. Holtz, Spurrier, Meyer, Saban, Bryant, and Mack Brown are a few that come to mind. That's one of the things I really like about Chadwell. Because the three programs where he has demonstrated success are smaller programs, combined with the fact that he hasn't worked as an assistant at a high profile program, he seems to be a bit overlooked among the hot up-and-coming coaches. I think he has tremendous upside potential and gives us a chance to grab up a winner a year or two before he could command a real premium salary. I'm not advocating for hiring on the cheap, but in a year in which there doesn't seem to be a sure-thing candidate, the possibility that he could be hired at maybe half the price of the other candidates is a real asset.

It's not 100% accurate as an indicator of future performance, but it sure seems like guys who have been successful HCs at _multiple_ schools are the most likely to succeed at their next school. Holtz, Spurrier, Meyer, Saban, Bryant, and Mack Brown are a few that come to mind. That's one of the things I really like about Chadwell. Because the three programs where he has demonstrated success are smaller programs, combined with the fact that he hasn't worked as an assistant at a high profile program, he seems to be a bit overlooked among the hot up-and-coming coaches. I think he has tremendous upside potential and gives us a chance to grab up a winner a year or two before he could command a real premium salary. I'm not advocating for hiring on the cheap, but in a year in which there doesn't seem to be a sure-thing candidate, the possibility that he could be hired at maybe half the price of the other candidates is a real asset.
I pretty much agree. I have to say that I don't really favor low-balling on salary just because it's possible. I said this about Beamer in another thread. If someone is hired to be the head football coach here, then I think the salary should be roughly in line with what head coaches make. JMO.

Seems to me there are tiers to this conversation:

Most Likely: Beamer, Napier
Next Tier: Chadwell
Lower Tier: All Others

just my opinion of course...

Chadwell is just a strange candidate for this job, and certainly a strange candidate to be the first confirmed interview. Three months ago he wasn’t even on anyone’s radar.

He’s never held a position with any major program. He’s had some success at the Division II and FCS level. At Coastal he’s had one strange season as the interim head coach, one middling seasons as the OC, and one bad season as the head coach (although they did lose a lot of close games in 2019). He’s popped this year in big way, yet it comes during a season being played under bizarre circumstances.

I’ve heard people talk about getting in on the ground floor with Chadwell, and he could be like a Hugh Freeze or Neal Brown or Dave Clawson or even a Jim Tressel. But all those guys had at least some major program experience in their past. Freeze worked at Ole Miss before he took the head job. Brown was at Texas Tech and Kentucky before he took over Troy. Clawson spent time at Tennessee before his success at Bowling Green. And Tressel spent time at Ohio State before his legendary Youngstown State run and then back to OSU.

Chadwell’s path to the South Carolina job would be among the strangest ever for any power five coach if he were hired right now.

Chadwell is just a strange candidate for this job, and certainly a strange candidate to be the first confirmed interview. Three months ago he wasn’t even on anyone’s radar.

He’s never held a position with any major program. He’s had some success at the Division II and FCS level. At Coastal he’s had one strange season as the interim head coach, one middling seasons as the OC, and one bad season as the head coach (although they did lose a lot of close games in 2019). He’s popped this year in big way, yet it comes during a season being played under bizarre circumstances.

I’ve heard people talk about getting in on the ground floor with Chadwell, and he could be like a Hugh Freeze or Neal Brown or Dave Clawson or even a Jim Tressel. But all those guys had at least some major program experience in their past. Freeze worked at Ole Miss before he took the head job. Brown was at Texas Tech and Kentucky before he took over Troy. Clawson spent time at Tennessee before his success at Bowling Green. And Tressel spent time at Ohio State before his legendary Youngstown State run and then back to OSU.

Chadwell’s path to the South Carolina job would be among the strangest ever for any power five coach if he were hired right now.
Obviously, this is JMO, but being a head coach and showing a consistent ability to make winning decisions for the entire team far outweighs being a coordinator. Also, the level of competition is only driven by the talent of the players on the field, so as he has moved up over time, the overall talent level has improved, but he continues to be successful. I don't see what would be strange about his path to the job here.

However, based on your choice of words, it sounds as though you would be more in favor of hiring someone like Beamer. We're all entitled to our opinions, but that's odd to me. Is having experience at a "major" program even as something below a coordinator really better than having 11 years of HEAD coaching experience at lower levels? Not to me.

Obviously, this is JMO, but being a head coach and showing a consistent ability to make winning decisions for the entire team far outweighs being a coordinator. Also, the level of competition is only driven by the talent of the players on the field, so as he has moved up over time, the overall talent level has improved, but he continues to be successful. I don't see what would be strange about his path to the job here.

However, based on your choice of words, it sounds as though you would be more in favor of hiring someone like Beamer. We're all entitled to our opinions, but that's odd to me. Is having experience at a "major" program even as something below a coordinator really better than having 11 years of HEAD coaching experience at lower levels? Not to me.

Beamer would be incredibly risky.

Of who seems available and interested, Napier should be tier 1. Sarkisian and Freeze tier 2, as reclamation projects if the admin can stomach it. Satterfield, Neal Brown, Clawson as tier 3. Beamer, Chadwell and Brian Johnson as tier 4.

Personally, I would have asked Luke Fickel to pick a number and try to meet it.

They need to lock this down soon. If Satterfield and Freeze are out that leaves Napier, Beamer and Chadwell. With those choices there's no reason this shouldn't be wrapped up soon.

Reactions: Cockish
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT