ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment Killed the Conferences

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
I know a lot of it has to do with the floods from the hurricane but it’s crazy how long we’ll go without a home game against LSU.

Just saw a tweet that Auburn would play one conference game in the Swamp between 2008 and 2030. Fact is, we play many non-conference opponents as much or more often than we do our own conference. That sucks...

Last edited:
Reactions: rangercock
It is weird. Part of the blame is the protection of the cross-division rivalries of Georgia/Auburn and Bama/UT, which leaves only 1 rotating spot if you keep an 8 game schedule. But for the life of me, I can’t figure out why UT is not standing in the commissioners office right now demanding to drop their “traditional rivalry” annual stomping. They are insane.

Move auburn to the east. Make Bama their permanent and screw tenn/Bama game.

Or since division record don’t mean squat just play 4 from each division. With 1or 2 of those being permanent

...all the more reason to add a conference game and dump a meaningless one.
Exactly. Add a ninth game. Eliminate divisional concept altogether. Adopt a round-robin schedule that protects the traditional conference rivalries but still gets all the teams in all of the stadiums on a faster basis. Develop a points system. The two teams with the most points play in Atlanta.

Reactions: DrMickey
Exactly. Add a ninth game. Eliminate divisional concept altogether. Adopt a round-robin schedule that protects the traditional conference rivalries but still gets all the teams in all of the stadiums on a faster basis. Develop a points system. The two teams with the most points play in Atlanta.
Should we automatically give Bama 10 points and let everyone else try to catch up?

OP, I'm with you....it sucks as a fan to be in the SEC and not get to experience the full league.
I am 100% in favor of adding an additional conference game

Reactions: rangercock
Should we automatically give Bama 10 points and let everyone else try to catch up?
You mean like with the Fed-Ex Cup? No times a million. I hate to see them rigging the scores that way. It's like giving the teams that have the best record entering the baseball playoffs a 2-0 lead. It's freaking ridiculous.

Reactions: HI Cock
I know a lot of it has to do with the floods from the hurricane but it’s crazy how long we’ll go without a home game at LSU.

Just saw a tweet that Auburn would play one conference game in the Swamp between 2008 and 2030. Fact is, we play many non-conference opponents as much or more often than we do our own conference. That sucks...
All of this could be solved with the replacement of the permanent cross over game. Just plain stupid. We play Alabama next year for the first time in 9 seasons. That is as idiotic as it is wrong

All of this could be solved with the replacement of the permanent cross over game. Just plain stupid. We play Alabama next year for the first time in 9 seasons. That is as idiotic as it is wrong

What’s so interesting is that the only reason permanent game exists, as mentioned above, is to preserve UGA - Auburn & Alabama - Tennessee. But Auburn - Florida used to be a big game too, and now Auburn will play in the Swamp once in 22 years. I used to love watching the classics between these two programs.

Not to mention the permanent opponent creates an unfair advantage. Tennessee has a huge disadvantage with Bama on the schedule every season. Having A&M instead of Arkansas stinks. We used to play Arkansas and Mississippi State every year and rotated one game from the West. That made no sense either. Seems like the SEC is always stuck one permanent game too many...I’d be fine keeping 8 games but would love to see the permanent opponent disappear.

What’s so interesting is that the only reason permanent game exists, as mentioned above, is to preserve UGA - Auburn & Alabama - Tennessee. But Auburn - Florida used to be a big game too, and now Auburn will play in the Swamp once in 22 years. I used to love watching the classics between these two programs.

Not to mention the permanent opponent creates an unfair advantage. Tennessee has a huge disadvantage with Bama on the schedule every season. Having A&M instead of Arkansas stinks. We used to play Arkansas and Mississippi State every year. Seems like the SEC is always stuck one permanent game too many...never makes sense.
Alabama-Tennessee is a rivalry that goes way back - decades before divisional play. UT wouldn't want to give it up any more than Bama would. Georgia and Florida are always going to play. The instate rivalries are always going to be played. But there are ways to loosen this thing up, and some of them have been put forth in the posts above. Conference Championship game based on a points system rather than divisions would be marvelous.

Alabama-Tennessee is a rivalry that goes way back - decades before divisional play. UT wouldn't want to give it up any more than Bama would. Georgia and Florida are always going to play. The instate rivalries are always going to be played. But there are ways to loosen this thing up, and some of them have been put forth in the posts above. Conference Championship game based on a points system rather than divisions would be marvelous.

Points systems will confuse the average fan. I would rather not see that happen

I know a lot of it has to do with the floods from the hurricane but it’s crazy how long we’ll go without a home game against LSU.

have u ever happened 2 study its predecessor w/ 23 teams? go figure a schedule w/ that one!

Not to mention the permanent opponent creates an unfair advantage. Tennessee has a huge disadvantage with Bama on the schedule every season. Having A&M instead of Arkansas stinks. We used to play Arkansas and Mississippi State every year and rotated one game from the West. That made no sense either. Seems like the SEC is always stuck one permanent game too many...I’d be fine keeping 8 games but would love to see the permanent opponent disappear.
Easy fix..just put all of then in the same division. Next.....

It is weird. Part of the blame is the protection of the cross-division rivalries of Georgia/Auburn and Bama/UT, which leaves only 1 rotating spot if you keep an 8 game schedule. But for the life of me, I can’t figure out why UT is not standing in the commissioners office right now demanding to drop their “traditional rivalry” annual stomping. They are insane.

UT has played Alabama more often (101 times) than Auburn has (82 times).

9 games and Clemsin would make our schedule tougher than most right off the bat. But I’m for it provided they make division record the way you get to Atlanta. Then conference record as the tiebreaker. Some say that waters down the crossover games but if you’re eyeing ATL you’re good and every game matters as you’re likely in the CFP mix.

Reactions: bucketdad
Football scheduling has always been bleeped up. At one point Georgia didn't play LSU for 25 years. And that was when the SEC was a ten team league. Made no sense.

Put me down for the nine game schedule as long as the added game kills off the ridiculous in-state charity thing.

I agree - the schedules are messed up. Hell, Florida-Auburn was a big rivalry when I lived in Gainesville back in the 80`s, when Florida was just starting to get good. Since most teams want a home & home and the players, I would think, would love to play as many teams as possible due to the attraction of the various locations. Why punish everyone to preserve a couple of rivalries? Let them vote - if both AD`s from both schools vote to keep their permanent opponent, then it remains. If one AD from either school votes no, it is nixed and the teams go into the remaining pool. For those teams, there is no permanent opponent, then more teams would have a home and home every 2 years. We would get to see many more of those teams from the West. Why would that not work. Alabama- Tennesee, Georgia-Auburn would likely stay. That may be the only two games. I know Florida and LSU would like to disband their annual rivalry. It also makes the schedules more unequal. You`re telling me that us playing A&M every year doesn`t put us at a disadvantage to Missouri, who now plays Arkansas every year? I didn`t think so.

You mean like with the Fed-Ex Cup? No times a million. I hate to see them rigging the scores that way. It's like giving the teams that have the best record entering the baseball playoffs a 2-0 lead. It's freaking ridiculous.
It was a joke ;)

If we're going to add another game to the conference slate, then lets go the full whole nine yards (pardon the expression) and just go to ten. Nine will automatically put the teams with five conference road games behind the eight ball. Ten will keep things even.

It will also do away with the multiple meaningless games against Coastal and UT-Chattanooga where teams have no nothing to gain and everything to lose. Yes, Clemson being on the schedule will make it very tough on us. But it will certainly shut up the critics about the BS weak schedule argument. We'd practically be daring the PAC 12, the Big 10 (+4) and the Big 12 (-2) to put up or shut up.

Also, completely do away with permanent cross division opponents. It's an antiquated idea that does a lot more harm than good.

If we're going to add another game to the conference slate, then lets go the full whole nine yards (pardon the expression) and just go to ten. Nine will automatically put the teams with five conference road games behind the eight ball. Ten will keep things even.

It will also do away with the multiple meaningless games against Coastal and UT-Chattanooga where teams have no nothing to gain and everything to lose. Yes, Clemson being on the schedule will make it very tough on us. But it will certainly shut up the critics about the BS weak schedule argument. We'd practically be daring the PAC 12, the Big 10 (+4) and the Big 12 (-2) to put up or shut up.

Also, completely do away with permanent cross division opponents. It's an antiquated idea that does a lot more harm than good.
I agree 50%.

Anyone wanting 9 SEC games is certifiable crazy. I guess yall want our .01% chance of playing in the CFP to go to .00%. Clemson has it right. Schedule don't mean jack as long as you beat one SEC team a year. Win that game and put it in cruise until December. And here we are wanting to play 2 West teams...smdh.

Anyone wanting 9 SEC games is certifiable crazy. I guess yall want our .01% chance of playing in the CFP to go to .00%. Clemson has it right. Schedule don't mean jack as long as you beat one SEC team a year. Win that game and put it in cruise until December. And here we are wanting to play 2 West teams...smdh.
Personally I agree. That's why I half-heartedly posted about going to ten. With nine, we would probably get stuck with road games at Bama, LSU and Auburn in our road slate. Ten would (theoretically at least) keep things even Steven.

We can't follow UPC's lead without playing in their league. So leave them out of it. If SEC schools are going to charge the crap out of people to go see football, then it ought to be brand name football. SEC football is about as brand-name as you can get, but fans of three other conferences are getting greater value. Not every SEC team is Alabama, so bring on more of them.

The problem is super conferences. I'd personally like to see a 12-member cap on conferences.....
I'd like to see four or five 16-member conferences make up a prime division that plays for its own national championship. That would open the way for several teams that aren't in the Power Five now to be in a super conference and play for the NC. I'd like to see all OOC games be against teams from one of those other super conferences. We'll find out who the men are then.

Why would Gamecock fans want a 9th game. It is already an uphill climb trying to pass UGA, UF, A&M, and beat UK. Add another game with a SEC West school and we are an underdog in another game more than likely.

It is just like the Carolina fans who were happy to have A&M join. Why? Carolina doesnt have the resources the Aggies do and it made our chances at ever winning the SEC even harder

Clemson had it made the minute the playoff was announced. I said that before everyone got on board with it.

I personally don't think we will ever make a four team playoff. No sense making scheduling decisions on something that won't happen so who cares about one extra SEC game? It won't matter and they'll be more interesting games to go to.

If it's quantifiable it's understandable.

Oh people would still be confused. Some people are confused how it works now. Every few weeks I will hear someone ask "If you are 6-0 in your division and 0-2 against the west are you ahead of a team that is 5-1 in the division, but 2-0 against the west?"

Another thing I hate about points systems is often times they rely on points allowed or points scored. Some offenses just have systems that allow them to score more. Also, some coaches pull starters earlier than others. Then you include OOC SOS point factors determined by a computer that uses a system 99% of fans wont understand.

Even at the height of NASCAR's popularity there was always confusion on its points system

Was excited at first about A&M and Mo:confused: joining but now can see I liked 12 team conference better.
Clemson needs the instate game more than we do. Go to 9 game conference schedule and drop Clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT