ADVERTISEMENT

recduiting/rebuilding

budman1976

May 10, 2005
Chapin, SC
Could you imagine the difficulties not just Boom but any coach that was here as our head coach would have right now in recruiting? Think about this we are a small state with some HS talent. Yet in our small state resides one of college football powerhouse (tater tech) and the border state we recruit heavy in resides a consistent top 5 team. Add that GT ditched the option and now runs a modern offense, kids we had a shot at now have another instate option. Up above us the fossil mack brown has unc fans thinking they are back so kids are now staying home in that state where we were pulling our fair share. What I'm getting at is rebuilding this program this time is not a normal time frame build. The hurdles laid out are huge once you also add in playing the hardest or top 5 schedule in the country. Some believe we should have already rebuilt but forget spurrier bolted as teams began to pass us and he couldn't even keep up. But if rebuilding is so easy why are teams in large states with more HS talent and a richer history still struggling for years to get back on top year after year and new coach after new coach. You don't have to look far for evidence of how hard it is in today's game to rebuild as former powerhouse teams like FSU, USC-w, and UCLA are struggling to be relevant again. I hate losing as much as the next guy but I like muschsmp and the hire of Bobo an i really hope he is able to start winning some games because him, this staff and our program is deffiantly up against some opticals right now that I'm not sure who could over come

Reactions: 843tjsdad78
Could you imagine the difficulties not just Boom but any coach that was here as our head coach would have right now in recruiting? Think about this we are a small state with some HS talent. Yet in our small state resides one of college football powerhouse (tater tech) and the border state we recruit heavy in resides a consistent top 5 team. Add that GT ditched the option and now runs a modern offense, kids we had a shot at now have another instate option. Up above us the fossil mack brown has unc fans thinking they are back so kids are now staying home in that state where we were pulling our fair share. What I'm getting at is rebuilding this program this time is not a normal time frame build. The hurdles laid out are huge once you also add in playing the hardest or top 5 schedule in the country. Some believe we should have already rebuilt but forget spurrier bolted as teams began to pass us and he couldn't even keep up. But if rebuilding is so easy why are teams in large states with more HS talent and a richer history still struggling for years to get back on top year after year and new coach after new coach. You don't have to look far for evidence of how hard it is in today's game to rebuild as former powerhouse teams like FSU, USC-w, and UCLA are struggling to be relevant again. I hate losing as much as the next guy but I like muschsmp and the hire of Bobo an i really hope he is able to start winning some games because him, this staff and our program is deffiantly up against some opticals right now that I'm not sure who could over come
Don't care for Muschamp, but totally agree with your assessment. Have said for years USC, toughest recruiting job in the country, compared to our peers.

The only problem with your assessment is that Muschamp is recruiting at the same level that Spurrier did with half the results. There is talent here it’s just not developed or coached to any positive result. Maybe winning the SEC is a tough road to travel but showing improvement versus regression shouldn’t be that complicated.

the states of SC and Alabama are almost identical in size. Bama and Aubie have always been good somehow.
ALWYAS BEEN GOOD- that is how. They have been powers for decades and recruit nationally based off rep. The size of the state has no meaning to them. We have a garbage rep nationally because we have always sucked. Comparing us to Bama is done too often around here to make bad points about coaching or recruiting- until we string together 30-40 years of contending for championships, nobody is going to look at us the way they look at Bama.

The only problem with your assessment is that Muschamp is recruiting at the same level that Spurrier did with half the results. There is talent here it’s just not developed or coached to any positive result. Maybe winning the SEC is a tough road to travel but showing improvement versus regression shouldn’t be that complicated.
When Spurrier was here Clemsun was down compared to now, UGA was mediocre by comparison and UT was fading, UF was even up and down. The competition we faced every year was less than what we face today. It is not an apples to apples comparison. Muschamp is recruiting similar talent (more 5* guys in year 5 than Spurrier got his whole tenure I believe, but similar class rankings) but playing harder schedules. Now, it can be said some of the struggles those teams had were because WE WERE BEATING THEM, but that is a difference of one extra loss per year and UF, UGA and clemsun are just flat doing better against us and the rest of their schedules on a more consistent basis than they were when SOS was our coach.

Reactions: jonesz21
Agree with pretty much everyone's comments but that's the thing the obstacles now are so much greater at this time than it was 7-10 years ago. As we were dealing with teams that were rising as we declined, now its made it harder to elevate again. We all know football goes in cylces as no team stays on top forever.

When Spurrier was here Clemsun was down compared to now, UGA was mediocre by comparison and UT was fading, UF was even up and down. The competition we faced every year was less than what we face today. It is not an apples to apples comparison. Muschamp is recruiting similar talent (more 5* guys in year 5 than Spurrier got his whole tenure I believe, but similar class rankings) but playing harder schedules. Now, it can be said some of the struggles those teams had were because WE WERE BEATING THEM, but that is a difference of one extra loss per year and UF, UGA and clemsun are just flat doing better against us and the rest of their schedules on a more consistent basis than they were when SOS was our coach.
That doesn’t equal 4-8 and losing to UNC with Brown in his first year and App State. If we only lost to top 10 teams that would be one thing but we don’t.

That doesn’t equal 4-8 and losing to UNC with Brown in his first year and App State. If we only lost to top 10 teams that would be one thing but we don’t.
App State was ranked when we lost to them, you are kind of mixing points. We had a bad year last year no doubt... Never said otherwise. My point was that broadly speaking we have had much harder schedules during Muschamp’s tenure than we did during Spurrier’s most successful seasons. So, with most agreeing we are headed towards having comparable talent, it is reasonable that we might not have comparable succes when facing tougher competition. Is some of that coaching? Sure, probably is.. Just saying we are not comparing apples to apples.

App State was ranked when we lost to them, you are kind of mixing points. We had a bad year last year no doubt... Never said otherwise. My point was that broadly speaking we have had much harder schedules during Muschamp’s tenure than we did during Spurrier’s most successful seasons. So, with most agreeing we are headed towards having comparable talent, it is reasonable that we might not have comparable succes when facing tougher competition. Is some of that coaching? Sure, probably is.. Just saying we are not comparing apples to apples.

Go back and look and you’ll see that the strength of schedule is not significantly different now than it was when Spurrier was here. That’s a big talking point but its not backed up by the actual numbers. The difference was we were beating the bad and mediocre teams in addition to the good teams on a consistent basis and not losing to the good, mediocre and bad teams like we are now.

Last edited:
Go back and look and you’ll see that the strength of schedule is not significantly different now than it was when Spurrier was here. That’s a big talking point but its not backed up by the actual numbers. The difference was we were beating the bad and mediocre teams in addition to the good teams on a consistent basis and not losing to the good, mediocre and bad teams like we are now.
Florida, UT, UGA AND clemson are all better than they were then. Period. Most are dramatically better! We play each of those teams every year. It is not comparable.

Reactions: AngloCock
I have seen the level of high school football talent in the Myrtle Beach area improve dramatically in the past few years. We need to take advantage of that.

Florida, UT, UGA AND clemson are all better than they were then. Period. Most are dramatically better! We play each of those teams every year. It is not comparable.
Go back and look. At the time we were winning 10 and 11 games we weren’t the only ones doing that. Even Vandy was winning 9 games a couple of those years. Besides we’re not talking about dropping from 10 wins to 8 but dropping from 9 wins (with the previous staffs coached players) to 4 wins with his “best team”. We didn’t lose to 8 ranked teams last year.

If you want to ignore last year then look at Muschamp’s best season here and it might have been among the worst that the SEC East has ever had overall.

And yet muschamp still sucks...the only decent year muschamp has had is his first when Florida and Tennessee were bad..and btw what was mud

Agree with pretty much everyone's comments but that's the thing the obstacles now are so much greater at this time than it was 7-10 years ago. As we were dealing with teams that were rising as we declined, now its made it harder to elevate again. We all know football goes in cylces as no team stays on top forever.
Especially a muschamp coached team

Georgia was better than mediocre. 2005 they won 10. 2006 they won 9. 2007 they won 11 2008. They won 10

Meyer was at Florida 2005-2010 and was 65-15. They were great

Last edited:
the states of SC and Alabama are almost identical in size. Bama and Aubie have always been good somehow.
Alabama is a national powerhouse than can easily pull kids from Florida to Cali. We are not. Alabama has a trophy case that no many school can rival.

Reactions: Crotalus1
ALWYAS BEEN GOOD- that is how. They have been powers for decades and recruit nationally based off rep. The size of the state has no meaning to them. We have a garbage rep nationally because we have always sucked. Comparing us to Bama is done too often around here to make bad points about coaching or recruiting- until we string together 30-40 years of contending for championships, nobody is going to look at us the way they look at Bama.

their circumstances are nearly identical to ours. They are surrounded by football powers in state and in the surrounding states. That was the case for the last 100 years. They decided they wanted to be good at football. We never did.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
their circumstances are nearly identical to ours. They are surrounded by football powers in state and in the surrounding states. That was the case for the last 100 years. They decided they wanted to be good at football. We never did.
No, that is not accurate. They have each had way more historic success than us- sure some of that is because their admin was willing to do anything INCLUDING CHEATING to win and ours has not- but a lot if it has to do with luck too. Imagine if Bear Bryant had died of a heart attack a couple years into building Bama the way a certain iconic coach of ours did about 40 years ago? If Morrison had coached us for 25 years, perhaps our program is in a different place today. Hey may or may not have been OUR Bear but he seemed to be headed that way... Again, success breeds success and saying we are in identical situations is simply untrue. JMHO, and you are welcome to disagree but geography means nothing to those teams BECAUSE OF THEIR SUCCES AND REPUTATION, but it does matter to us because of our lack of success and poor national reputation. That was the crux of the thread at hand.

Reactions: 92Pony
Georgia was better than mediocre. 2005 they won 10. 2006 they won 9. 2007 they won 11 2008. They won 10

Meyer was at Florida 2005-2010 and was 65-15. They were great
Valid to a point, but We did not win much vs Florida until after he left and they went down hill, and 9-10 wins at UGA is mediocre by their stabdards and expectations. I stand by what I said.

At this point it is no longer about recruiting. Right now the issue is coaching and player development. We are not finding creative ways to utilize the players we have.

have to disagree with the recruiting comparison, there is not a single player on the team close to the caliber of Clowney, Jefferey, Gilmore, Lattimore, Ingram, or Shaw. Spurrier hit the lottery with that group and I'm afraid it wont happen again. I feel Muschamp has worked his tail off in recruiting but as mentioned he is fighting an uphill battle.

have to disagree with the recruiting comparison, there is not a single player on the team close to the caliber of Clowney, Jefferey, Gilmore, Lattimore, Ingram, or Shaw. Spurrier hit the lottery with that group and I'm afraid it wont happen again. I feel Muschamp has worked his tail off in recruiting but as mentioned he is fighting an uphill battle.
In retrospect, this is true as we can look back on how well these players performed . Regarding the recruiting rankings... Other than Clowney, who was perhaps the highest rated recruit ANY tema has EVER landed- (seriously, he was the Zion of football in HS!!) we have landed multiple players WAY higher rated than Shaw, Gilmore or even Latti- many of whom are on the team currently and are still very young with limited playing time if they have seen the field at all. Guys like Lloyd and Burch were absolute stud recruits and the jusry is certainly still out as to what type of impact they could have here over the next 3-4 years.

We won with Spurrier's recruits, which were ranked about the same as Muschamp's.

Weird.

No, that is not accurate. They have each had way more historic success than us- sure some of that is because their admin was willing to do anything INCLUDING CHEATING to win and ours has not- but a lot if it has to do with luck too. Imagine if Bear Bryant had died of a heart attack a couple years into building Bama the way a certain iconic coach of ours did about 40 years ago? If Morrison had coached us for 25 years, perhaps our program is in a different place today. Hey may or may not have been OUR Bear but he seemed to be headed that way... Again, success breeds success and saying we are in identical situations is simply untrue. JMHO, and you are welcome to disagree but geography means nothing to those teams BECAUSE OF THEIR SUCCES AND REPUTATION, but it does matter to us because of our lack of success and poor national reputation. That was the crux of the thread at hand.

again..they have always made winning a priority. We never have. There is no pressure to win on the board, Tanner, or muschamp. We are and always have been passive. That is the difference.

I’m strictly basing this on the rankings and not the performance on the field. For all the talk about Muschamp’s recruiting prowess and the group that feels there is so much more talent the numbers don’t bear that out. However the numbers do bear out that the performance on the field with the same level of talent does not match. One staff either got more out of the players or play equivalent to where their recruiting ranking have them and the other has not. The real tell is that the staff who is not also had the same results at their previous stop where they had much higher ranked recruiting classes and equally as bad results.

We won with Spurrier's recruits, which were ranked about the same as Muschamp's.

Weird.

See below for counter point...

In no way am I personally happy with the recent record of our team, but it seems unfair to compare the two situations as though both talent and opportunity was identical when it most certainly was not.

So in other words even when proven wrong I’ll still hold onto the wrong because it fits my incorrect argument?
Twisting words to fit your narrative is fun huh Dizz? 😂 I clarified multiple times bith in that post and prior ones that “during SOS’s MOST SUCCESSFUL YEARS”- IE the 11 win seasons which occured after Meyer left... The times in other words when he had his best talent... Are the years I was referring to. You are free to disagree, we can have differing view points, it is ok. I know what I said and I stand by it, you disagree, great! Cool! Good for you! No need to insult my inteligence or make yourself look bad by twisting the meaning of my words.

was waiting for it. anyone that wins is cheating except us. good job pointing that out (again). Im so happy we run the cleanest program in all of college football.

Twisting words to fit your narrative is fun huh Dizz? 😂 I clarified multiple times bith in that post and prior ones that “during SOS’s MOST SUCCESSFUL YEARS”- IE the 11 win seasons which occured after Meyer left... The times in other words when he had his best talent... Are the years I was referring to. You are free to disagree, we can have differing view points, it is ok. I know what I said and I stand by it, you disagree, great! Cool! Good for you! No need to insult my inteligence or make yourself look bad by twisting the meaning of my words.
Its not about a difference of opinion. It’s just simply not factual that the SEC East was weak with Spurrier and amazing with Muschamp. Georgia has never had an undefeated season so 9-10 wins isn’t mediocre for them it is where they consistently are.

If you want to say Florida was down well guess who was the coach there at the time. Even with that his best years were when we won 10+. Spurrier didn’t win because everyone else struggled. He simply won.

I honestly believe there was more instate talent here for a few years with Spurrier and we won the instate recruiting battles to land guys like Gilmore, Jeffery, Clowney, Holloman, Lattimore, Cann. The state of SC hasn't really been stacked like that since then. We had some big-time homegrown talent back then. I think the 09, 10, and 11 classes were the backbone of our success and they all had some really good instate talent. The 12-14 classes were rated higher overall but had less instate talent and they underperformed or were poorly evaluated.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
If we had Bobo last year we are at least a bowl team. Our OC was horrific and was most of the problem. Jmo

was waiting for it. anyone that wins is cheating except us. good job pointing that out (again). Im so happy we run the cleanest program in all of college football.
Once again twisting my words! Never said we were the only clean program or made any specific mention of our past transgressions or lack there of. If you want me to be more granular- What I will say is this: if you think we have ever pushed the limits of the rules on the level of Bama and Auburn, you should really do some research on the subject. *Especially Auburn* has always been known to ignore NCAA regulations and half the NCAA rule book it seems was written specifically to react to the underhanded tactics Bama would use to exploit players and the current rules for their athletic advantage. Call it sour grapes if you like, say we just “don’t try hard enough”, but historically those two programs have a history of doing things under the radar and it is well documented. Our transgressions- beyond a small PED dust up I recall in the 80s when most of the athletic world was using PEDs- Have typically amounted to such heinous crimes as texting/calling a kid at the wrong times or some players getting a free hotel room or free meals- usually squarely in the “grey areas” of what was allowed, usually self reported and sanctioned with an anecdotal slap on the wrist. Sure, there may have been a few “hundred dollar handshakes” at booster events in the past (present??) like every program has but we have never been accused of the types of things Bama, Auburn and even Clemsun has been accused of or caught/sanctioned for in the past that I am aware of. That is what my point was. Goes a bit off topic, but I am haply to clarify. Sorry if that lessens your pride in the “gotcha” moment you seem to treasure...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT