ADVERTISEMENT

Receiver position and Mitch....

NooNoo

Jan 27, 2002
...what is everyone's thoughts on the receiver position? I posted something to this effect about a week or so ago. Yes, Mitch was nervous etc. However, I have spoken to a few folks that were at the game (I was on the couch) and they stated the receivers could not get open. I fear that we seriously lack talent at the receiver position. Walk ons/transfers are playing on the two deep with one starting. That is an indictment of our recruiting when scholarship guys cannot beat out walk ons. No program that spent as much time in the top 10 should be struggling to fill out our roster with talent. I will be glad to be wrong but in looking at our depth chart it is not just inexperience but a lack of playmakers on the outside. It is a long way from even 2 years ago. Somebody tell me there is more talent at the receiver position than I think please. The UNC game did little to change that thinking.

The thing about first games is hardly any player who's never played in a college football game plays well. Especially on offense, with RB being the exception. By game 3 or 4, if Mitch is still shaky confidence wise and the young WR's are struggling to get open I would worry a little about this year's passing. Especially if something were to happen to Cooper or Adams. I hope Samual doesn't have a serious hamstring issue. I thought he was poised to breakout this year. Jeffery needs to step up and at least be a threat to catch a pass. I do believe we have talented receivers, just young. Alshon and Cooper didn't just show up for the first game and immediately become a star. We'll know a lot more about the young guys as the year goes on.

Guys are still working on timing. Cooper is obviously already tremendous, but Samuel and googer will put up good numbers by the end of the year. Just be patient

My thoughts are:
Cooper is perhaps the BEST WR IN THE NATION. Yes, REALLY.
Googer is a talent. He will be starting next game if healthy. He showed he was the guy we need who will go out there and TAKE THE FN BALL OUT THE AIR. He is big enough to have an advantage over every DB in the world, and fast enough to get open, blocks well and has good hands from what he has shown. Excited about that kid!
I was honestly a little disappointed Samuel didn't make a bigger impact, but he only had two targets before he got hurt.. Again, if healthy, we should see more of him next week and be able to make a better determination..
That was the biggest factor in evaluating those two guys- they both came in, got a couple targets and got HURT! We didn't see them again...

So, if they are seriously injured, my thoughts are: WE ARE SCREWED. With Davidson out for the year, we cannot afford our two ,out promising RS Fr recievers to be injured.

As for Mitch- kind of the same thing. Right about the time he started to show he was getting comfortable, he got hurt! Randomly injured his thumb somehow, and I don't think he threw another pass after that.. Had cramp issues at one point, and injured his hip!? So, he played about 3/4s of a game for us, half of that time he seemed to be scrambling just to get his head right... And people want to judge him? We didn't see enough of the guy to know what we have yet. He threw som great passes and some real ugly ones too, he was way more mobile than anyone seemed to expect and I thought he ran the offense with confidence most the game. Two of the delay penalties we got were CLOCK ERRORS by the refs who had NO CLUE what they were doing last night- typical ACC bunch league BS. Sam could be said for his phantom personal foul penalty- TOTAL BS. "What's up" is not worthy of a 15 yd penalty. So, if you ask me... I bet he will surprise some folks next week and have a big ole day! He will stay healthy, keep his mouth shut and rip the wildcats apart! Just my guess...

My thoughts are:
Cooper is perhaps the BEST WR IN THE NATION. Yes, REALLY.
Googer is a talent. He will be starting next game if healthy. He showed he was the guy we need who will go out there and TAKE THE FN BALL OUT THE AIR. He is big enough to have an advantage over every DB in the world, and fast enough to get open, blocks well and has good hands from what he has shown. Excited about that kid!
I was honestly a little disappointed Samuel didn't make a bigger impact, but he only had two targets before he got hurt.. Again, if healthy, we should see more of him next week and be able to make a better determination..
That was the biggest factor in evaluating those two guys- they both came in, got a couple targets and got HURT! We didn't see them again...

So, if they are seriously injured, my thoughts are: WE ARE SCREWED. With Davidson out for the year, we cannot afford our two ,out promising RS Fr recievers to be injured.

As for Mitch- kind of the same thing. Right about the time he started to show he was getting comfortable, he got hurt! Randomly injured his thumb somehow, and I don't think he threw another pass after that.. Had cramp issues at one point, and injured his hip!? So, he played about 3/4s of a game for us, half of that time he seemed to be scrambling just to get his head right... And people want to judge him? We didn't see enough of the guy to know what we have yet. He threw som great passes and some real ugly ones too, he was way more mobile than anyone seemed to expect and I thought he ran the offense with confidence most the game. Two of the delay penalties we got were CLOCK ERRORS by the refs who had NO CLUE what they were doing last night- typical ACC bunch league BS. Sam could be said for his phantom personal foul penalty- TOTAL BS. "What's up" is not worthy of a 15 yd penalty. So, if you ask me... I bet he will surprise some folks next week and have a big ole day! He will stay healthy, keep his mouth shut and rip the wildcats apart! Just my guess...
A bit early in my opinion to already declare Pharaoh the "best in the nation" but gosh I hope that turns out to be true....agree on Googer. I think he will be a good one. And I think Mitch will be OK.

For some reason our coaches get hung up on favoring a practice player over a player that plays well in a game. While I agree players must get something out of practice, you have to play talent and ability in the end. Googer is a talent. Deebo seems like he could be, but he didn't produce Saturday. Pharoh is good even when he has a knee or ankle sprain... No other receivers have shown anything as of yet...

For some reason our coaches get hung up on favoring a practice player over a player that plays well in a game. While I agree players must get something out of practice, you have to play talent and ability in the end. Googer is a talent. Deebo seems like he could be, but he didn't produce Saturday. Pharoh is good even when he has a knee or ankle sprain... No other receivers have shown anything as of yet...
Googer produced because he was matched up differently in the middle. Their corners were blanketing our receivers on the outside. Matchups in the middle and on check downs were the best options.

I was on the couch so couldn't see the whole field (so, grain of salt, etc), but from what I saw, Heard blocked well. IIRC he bulldozed the CB on Carson's TD run. Receivers do have to get open and catch the ball, obviously, but they have other responsibilities as well. We don't need any receivers whiffing or giving up on blocks like Roland last year. His irresponsibility almost seriously injured Mike Davis.

It is embarrassing that a team like SC has 2 WALK ON WR'S on the 2 deep. Look at Louisville for example, they should never have better WR'S than SC yet they have good WR'S all over the place, there are many other schools of lesser stature out recruiting SC at WR'S.

SC has one stud (Cooper)... one hopeful (Samuel) who has never caught a pass, ....one freshman (Googer) who may end up being a capable receiver, but never a break out player due to lack of speed.

Put Neal and Christian out there and see what happens.

It might not matter, Not sure we have a starting QB that can get them the ball.......and the BACKUP QB is a ......WALK ON
SC is in deep trouble at that position and the person to blame is Spurrier JR

It is embarrassing that a team like SC has 2 WALK ON WR'S on the 2 deep. Look at Louisville for example, they should never have better WR'S than SC yet they have good WR'S all over the place, there are many other schools of lesser stature out recruiting SC at WR'S.

SC has one stud (Cooper)... one hopeful (Samuel) who has never caught a pass, ....one freshman (Googer) who may end up being a capable receiver, but never a break out player due to lack of speed.

Put Neal and Christian out there and see what happens.

It might not matter, Not sure we have a starting QB that can get them the ball.......and the BACKUP QB is a ......WALK ON
SC is in deep trouble at that position and the person to blame is Spurrier JR
Give them a little more game experience and we will be Allright. But I got to tell ya I would love to have a couple of those bowling Green Wrs ,they lit UT up

I hope you are right, but against better competition, who is there to step up, I don't see it.

I was on the couch so couldn't see the whole field (so, grain of salt, etc), but from what I saw, Heard blocked well. IIRC he bulldozed the CB on Carson's TD run. Receivers do have to get open and catch the ball, obviously, but they have other responsibilities as well. We don't need any receivers whiffing or giving up on blocks like Roland last year. His irresponsibility almost seriously injured Mike Davis.
This. Roland's laziness in that Florida game was awful and almost cost us more than just the game

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Googer looked good and will be an impact reciever. Samuel will come around. Everyone chill out.

Alshon Jeffery didn't really do all that much until the middle of his freshman year. I'm sure if you saw him early on you would have had no idea how good he was going to be.....you might have seen potential but that would be it. I see potential in Googer and Samuels. We have a new QB and new receivers....it may take until the middle of the season before they hit full stride.

...what is everyone's thoughts on the receiver position? I posted something to this effect about a week or so ago. Yes, Mitch was nervous etc. However, I have spoken to a few folks that were at the game (I was on the couch) and they stated the receivers could not get open. I fear that we seriously lack talent at the receiver position. Walk ons/transfers are playing on the two deep with one starting. That is an indictment of our recruiting when scholarship guys cannot beat out walk ons. No program that spent as much time in the top 10 should be struggling to fill out our roster with talent. I will be glad to be wrong but in looking at our depth chart it is not just inexperience but a lack of playmakers on the outside. It is a long way from even 2 years ago. Somebody tell me there is more talent at the receiver position than I think please. The UNC game did little to change that thinking.

Agree with you, let's just hope that they can run better routes as they gain experience. Think talent will rise to the occasion but receivers must get open for Mitch to throw. Learning experience for the receivers.

Googer and Samuel are hurt right now. Don't know if they will be available this week. We are really thin at receiver and the ones that are available are inexperienced other than Pharoh.

Samuel just needs to work on route running to get open. Googer looked pretty good. With his size he doesn't need tremendous speed to make plays. I am interested in seeing what Neal and Christian can do but we may be trying to redshirt them.

Samuel just needs to work on route running to get open. Googer looked pretty good. With his size he doesn't need tremendous speed to make plays. I am interested in seeing what Neal and Christian can do but we may be trying to redshirt them.
How do you redshirt them, when you are so thin a WR. Put them in, see what they can do now.

ADVERTISEMENT