ADVERTISEMENT

Recruit talent in South Carolina

lowcountry_cock13

Oct 12, 2017
Just looking at some numbers.
There are 4 4* recruits in SC for ‘18
No 5*...Two are committed to clemson, one to us and the other is Tindell probably to UGA.

The state of Georgia has 5 5* recruits and 35 4* recruits.

North Carolina has 2 5* recruits and 11 4* recruits.

What’s going on with the state of South Carolina that talent is that scarce? Population of UGA is twice that of South Carolina but they have 10 times the talent?

My question is why are we not involved in the state of nc?
Spurrier wasn’t Muschamp is.

Nasirladeen, Eric Douglas, some more OL, Sandidge, Hollifield, Henry, etc. A lot of guys, doesn’t mean they will come here.

Reactions: kirby1023
I remember when unc and NC State were looking for coaches some years ago (eventually they would hire fedora and doeren) and we raided nc on a number of guys. There was a vacuum. Have to give lazy old spurrier credit for that.

Reactions: bushmastercock
The real problem is not lack of talent in SC. There are a lot of talented players in this state. Actually more than enough to help us fill out a quality 2 deep that can compete in our conference, along with some blue chippers/playmakers sprinkled in. We should be able to find no less than 20-25 quality players in this state EVERY year. Our focus on football per capita is equal to most around the country! Look at how well our lower level teams have faired over the last 15 years or so. As a matter of fact, look up the rosters of the best teams that we've had in our history! They were usually made up with 85-90% good ole SC boys.

The problem is that you have to actually scout, attend live games from B team on up, watch film, build relationships and talk to coaches at every school in this state. The truth is that usually only the top 10 or so players in the state receive any type of hype outside of our state. The unfortunate fact is that SC families, coaches, schools, communities, etc...do not spend as much money as our neighboring states shipping kids around to these different camps, building exposure, hype, etc...and thus recruiting rankings. Sure a handful of players get exposed every year, but there are many good players overlooked by the so called "recruiting experts." We also have our fair share that fail to qualify.

This is where our coaches have to work that much harder to get in these communities, get on these kids early, build relationships, and stress the importance of academics. USC should have a presence at every school in this state. Every successful coach in our history figured that out, hopefully Boom will do the same. This, afterall, is THE University of South Carolina!

No 5*...Two are committed to clemson, one to us and the other is Tindell probably to UGA.

What’s going on with the state of South Carolina that talent is that scarce? Population of UGA is twice that of South Carolina but they have 10 times the talent?
The numbers for SC talent in the ‘19 class is even less than this year.

Keep in mind the too player in the 2018 class ended up at IMG Academy, a 5 star. While he was a 5 star he did nothing in a playoff game against 2 Gamecock 3 stars, Manos and Register when he was still in this state

My question is why are we not involved in the state of nc?
You honestly don't know this? Muschamp's pressers are readily available on various sites. He has repeatedly specified a radius of 500 miles which are drivable distances or a short flight from Columbia.. It includes Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa. In fact he has stated they know which cities have direct flights in and out of Columbia to help sell parents on convenient accessibility to our campus.
I can't promise anyone that all this will eventually succeed but I can assure everyone we have never had such a detailed and comprehensive approach to recruiting, scouting, evaluation, hosting, camps, etc. as we do now.
An effort I fully support. An outcome I patiently await.

You honestly don't know this? Muschamp's pressers are readily available on various sites. He has repeatedly specified a radius of 500 miles which are drivable distances or a short flight from Columbia.. It includes Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa. In fact he has stated they know which cities have direct flights in and out of Columbia to help sell parents on convenient accessibility to our campus.
I can't promise anyone that all this will eventually succeed but I can assure everyone we have never had such a detailed and comprehensive approach to recruiting, scouting, evaluation, hosting, camps, etc. as we do now.
An effort I fully support. An outcome I patiently await.
We are involved in NC hopefully we will continue to improve. This state has many top level players will want to come to an improved South Carolina team in the SEC !

I don't think your numbers are correct. I heard it stated a few years ago on one of the recruiting shows that the Greater Atlanta Area has more high schools than the entire state of South Carolina. That's not counting the rest of the state of Georgia.

I don't think your numbers are correct. I heard it stated a few years ago on one of the recruiting shows that the Greater Atlanta Area has more high schools than the entire state of South Carolina. That's not counting the rest of the state of Georgia.
Which numbers? Recruit numbers taken directly off 247. Population size take off general census.

You both are right. Atlanta metro population is larger than the entire population of SC. Atlanta metro has a population of 5.7 million, SC has a population of 4.9 million.

And just what makes you think we aren't recruiting the top talent in S. C.? I think our coaches are doing everything they can do to recruit these kids. Just because some S. C. kids don't come here doesn't mean our coaches aren't trying. We have a long history of losing top quality kids in this state to other programs. It did not start with Muschamp. Hope he can get it to the point where he can turn it around. Let's give him a chance.

You are correct. The general population of that area is greater than the general population of the entire state of SC.

What we need in SC (and NC) are some quality JCs to train up these kids for a year or two before they hit the SEC.

What we need in SC (and NC) are some quality JCs to train up these kids for a year or two before they hit the SEC.
Most have gone to 4-year....Anderson, North Greenville. And those that remain don't play football...Spartanburg Methodist, and some of the USC satellite campuses.

You are correct. The general population of that area is greater than the general population of the entire state of SC.
Yes that area is larger than the state of South Carolina but total population of Ga is barely twice the size of South Carolina. My point was there is 10 times the number of blue chip recruits in Ga although the entire State is only twice the size population wise.

Yes that area is larger than the state of South Carolina but total population of Ga is barely twice the size of South Carolina. My point was there is 10 times the number of blue chip recruits in Ga although the entire State is only twice the size population wise.

I won't question the numbers (population of Georgia vs. SC or the ranked blue chippers). But we seem to usually run right at the per capita numbers of NFL players as Georgia. If anything we might be slightly ahead of them on any of the myriad articles you see about this in any given year.

As a rule Louisiana and Mississippi seem to be some kind of 1-2 with eventual NFL players. Not the end all, but I really don't think HS ball in Georgia is some kind of extreme step up from what we have here.

Then again Atlanta... that is like a whole state in one metro. Got to be some intense rivalries there.

I ask this because I don't know -- do we have a director of high school relations, namelly, a respected former high school coach who can open doors, etc?

I have a buddy down here in Georgia who did that job for Ga. Tech for a while back in the Chan Gailey era. He's a hall of fame high school coach whose job basically was to schmooze the state's high school coaches, which was supposed to pay off in recruiting. Not sure it did, but he had a good time.

I ask this because I don't know -- do we have a director of high school relations, namelly, a respected former high school coach who can open doors, etc?

I have a buddy down here in Georgia who did that job for Ga. Tech for a while back in the Chan Gailey era. He's a hall of fame high school coach whose job basically was to schmooze the state's high school coaches, which was supposed to pay off in recruiting. Not sure it did, but he had a good time.
Clyde Wrenn

Most have gone to 4-year....Anderson, North Greenville. And those that remain don't play football...Spartanburg Methodist, and some of the USC satellite campuses.
Lots of $ in CA, MS, KS for football "rehab" for high school students who can't make the grades. If we had something like that in SC, it might help SC.

Reactions: rogue cock
To an extent, I think this state is sort of like when a player commits to us instead of Alabama. A lot of times he gets downgraded.
Years back this state had more talent every year (according to Rivals) than Tennessee. Now that’s never the case. I call BS on it too.
Also we spank that NC ass every year in the Shrine Bowl. I don’t think SC kids get a fair eval for whatever reason. I think there are 10-15 kids fit for an SEC team every year here.

USCrown was pretty accurate in his assessment.

Both NC and GA have almost 11mil population and SC is about 4.5mil. Both of those states have full time scouts and SC does not. While some states like FL, CA, and TX have more than one HS scout. So on a national level those players get more national exposure, more votes to be a 4/5*. Therefore SC players don't get the same amount of exposure. I have noticed it seems like with the number 4/5* TX players, they are normally overrated but it's because of the exposure.

This requires coaches to be more engaged with HS coaches in SC for evaluations and to follow up with those coaches.

I would bet if you look at the number of NFL players based on State population, SC would be in the top 5.

Reactions: Judson1
SC takes care of business when playing out of state high schools.
More talent here than the star system let’s on to.

SC takes care of business when playing out of state high schools.
More talent here than the star system let’s on to.

Bingo! I hope our coaches realize this. Again this is THE University of South Carolina. We currently only have 5 players committed from this state. Do you actually believe there are only 5 players in this state that are quality players capable of playing at USC??? I know we have recruited others and simply did not get them, but the point remains. Out of 19 commits, only 5 are from SC. This has to change in order for us to be successful, and this is not a knock against Muschamp and staff. I know they are working their tails off selling USC. I just want to make the point clear that we have to make sure we do a good job of squeezing every ounce of talent out of this state.

A quick glance at NFL rosters over the past 3-4 yrs or so lets us see how many of these players fall under the radar. I stopped counting at 20 NFL players. I could have easily gotten to 30 - 40 NFL quality players from the state of SC over the past few years that fell through the cracks. I guarantee that any one of these players would have jumped at the chance to play for USC if offered. What do you think our record would have been with an additional 20 or so NFL quality players? I guarantee we would have been competing for championships.

Andre Roberts Citadel WR Dakota Dozier Furman OT
Rafeal Bush SC State S Joe Thomas SC State LB
Ron Parker Newberry CB Edmond Rob Newberry OLB
Brian Quick App State WR Antonio Hamilton SC State CB
Justin Bethel PC CB Brandon Bostic Newberry TE
Josh Norman Coastal CB Ryan Seymour Vandy G
Freddie Martino WR Tumarrick Hemingway State TE
Demarcus Lawrence Boise St DE Johnny Maxey Mars Hill DE
Matt Hazel Coastal WR Philip Adams SC State DB
Roddy White UAB WR LJ McCray Catawba SC

you have to cheat no matter where the prospects are...as long as we recruit by the book, we will fail

While I will not say you ars wrong, Let's refer to it as "pushing the envelope" We really need to push the hell out of the envelope, exploit the "gray areas", take advantage of the "loopholes" and maybe have a different fresh new interpretation of some of the rules, in light of the recent development of society

I've always believe you make our state a priority, when two prospects have similar talents always make the instate guy a priority. I'm still incredibly PO'd with that idiot Brad Scott for passing on Joe Hamilton from Alvin after getting a commitment from Jason Pomar. Joe went to finish 2nd for the Heisman, Pomar turned in to a pretty good relief pitcher.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
Lots of $ in CA, MS, KS for football "rehab" for high school students who can't make the grades. If we had something like that in SC, it might help SC.

It would not help. Those guys are in JUCO for a reason. I'd wager not one out of 10 JUCOs is rehabilitated into a quality recruit that helps a Power 5 program make a significant move upward while also graduating and being a good representative of the school.

It starts at age 4-5 here in Valdosta. Insane. But the only sport is football. If the communities in SC would adapt that mentality then the state would produce more. But then, SC produces better baseball players than GA. And it's the same reason. SC has better youth baseball than GA.

It starts at age 4-5 here in Valdosta. Insane. But the only sport is football. If the communities in SC would adapt that mentality then the state would produce more. But then, SC produces better baseball players than GA. And it's the same reason. SC has better youth baseball than GA.
SC produces better baseball players than Georgia? That’s not what the MLB statistics say.

Isn't SC is known for having great basketball talent? Is that because of AAU basketball circuit?

I have a friend that umpires Showcase baseball leagues in North Carolina. He says baseball is becoming an elitist sport because the only players getting recognition are the ones that have families that can afford to pay the bill it takes for their kid to be a member of a travel ball team that competes in weekend tournaments and camps to get noticed. Are recruiting services doing the same thing to football recruits?

Reactions: Lakecock1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT