ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting 2016

Cocky4SC

Dec 2, 2014
Spartanburg SC
Listening to a local sports talk radio about our recruiting got me thinking- with a lot of our guys graduating this year, do we go the route of JUCO or 5th year transfers again to cover up our lack of recruiting and development? I am afraid that if we don't get a few guys that are built into a college frame and are ready to play next year, that this cycle we are on will continue...

IMHO I don't think it would be a bad idea to get another 2 OL, DT/DE, 2/3 WR...

Reactions: Atrimmier
Listening to a local sports talk radio about our recruiting got me thinking- with a lot of our guys graduating this year, do we go the route of JUCO or 5th year transfers again to cover up our lack of recruiting and development? I am afraid that if we don't get a few guys that are built into a college frame and are ready to play next year, that this cycle we are on will continue...

Wait a sec. We've got posters who insist our recruiting has been the same the past few years as it was during the years leading up to the 11 win seasons, Care to explain your insinuation that the cupboard is bare?

Wait a sec. We've got posters who insist our recruiting has been the same the past few years as it was during the years leading up to the 11 win seasons, Care to explain your insinuation that the cupboard is bare?

Cooper, wilds, Carson, shell, Adams, Cedric cooper, Dixon, Dixon jr, Dukes, googer, Jeffery, matulis, heard, sport,

Seems like a lot off the two deep. Add in attrition and transfers then i see a lot to replace.

Cooper, wilds, Carson, shell, Adams, Cedric cooper, Dixon, Dixon jr, Dukes, googer, Jeffery, matulis, heard, sport,

Seems like a lot off the two deep. Add in attrition and transfers then i see a lot to replace.
Googer is a Redshirt Freshman. To the OP's point, if we continue to rely on JC transfers, we're in big trouble. Have got to recruit better.

Hard time discerning sarcasm, I see. I agree our recruiting has been poor. In fact, I don't like JUCOs. There's a reason they didn't get in to a D-1 straight out of high school.

Hard time discerning sarcasm, I see. I agree our recruiting has been poor. In fact, I don't like JUCOs. There's a reason they didn't get in to a D-1 straight out of high school.

No I got it, just wanted others to realize we ain't in a good spot in terms of experienced players after this year which is scary

My mistake. I didn't even put Isaiah Johnson

I had really high hopes for him. But he has been a big disappointment. Every game stupid 15 yard penalties. That would be one thing if he was lighting up people like DJ Swag but he is not. On the TD against UNC he took out a Gamecock player which allowed for the TD. Seems like a great guy and smart. But not the playmaker we were hoping he could be.

Take a look at the #1 Juco OL this year, he signed with Carolina out of HS but is the starting left tackle for Penn State. He was crushed in the opener against Temple. Looked terrible and gave up a lot of sacks. That is why you can not trust jucos and why is it never more than a iffy stopgap. Unless you are K State, the constant use of jucos are a program killer long term, even if they work out. Clemson and other are killing Carolina for even bringing them in because they say it is a threat of be recruited over when you get to the time you should be starting.

The vast majority go to JC out of high school due to academic reasons, not due to talent. They cannot qualify and get into a D-1 school so they have to go to JC to work on academics until they can qualify.
In the modern era of college football I think it is a good idea to bring in quality JC guys. I'm not saying to stock your whole team with them, but bringing some in can have advantages. Consider the following:
1) Fresh out of HS most kids are not mature or developed both physically and emotionally. A majority of the freshmen brought in by most programs out of HS end up redshirting the first year so they are not able to help you anyway.
2) At JC these guys can be further evaluated with less mistakes made on judging ability. Although JC is not like SEC football, it is considerably better than HS football. Most kids placed in JC are very talented prospects, so the competition is greater and the talent a prospective recruit is playing against is much greater and a coach can better gauge how well a player may perform at a higher level.
3)While at JC these players are developing, and getting bigger, stronger, and more experienced and doing it on someone elses dime. The school does not have to use any of its scholarship money for these guys to attend JC and they do not count against the NCAA scholarship limits like a redshirt player does.
4) While you only get their services for 2 (and in many cases 3) years, that's about all you get with a lot of players anyway that leave early for the draft.
5) Sometimes bringing in JC guys can can be a way to help balance out your roster classes and improve depth. For example, if you end up with a lot of Seniors and Freshmen on your roster, adding some JC guys can give you more experienced depth in the Soph and Jr classes so you are not depleted when a large senior class leaves.

Reactions: GCMD2 and BigTomE
If that is basically the only way we can anyone, than that is what we will do. Problem is, other schools are recruiting the JUCOs more as well. It's pretty slim pickins right now.

If that is basically the only way we can anyone, than that is what we will do. Problem is, other schools are recruiting the JUCOs more as well.

I wish we would have went after the tater QB that went to ole miss. I bet he would love to beat the taters

That's not a good sign when your filling holes with juco's. We need to spend more time and money in recruiting instead of depending on juco's.

Reactions: Tidal Creek Cock
Take a look at the #1 Juco OL this year, he signed with Carolina out of HS but is the starting left tackle for Penn State. He was crushed in the opener against Temple. Looked terrible and gave up a lot of sacks. That is why you can not trust jucos and why is it never more than a iffy stopgap. Unless you are K State, the constant use of jucos are a program killer long term, even if they work out. Clemson and other are killing Carolina for even bringing them in because they say it is a threat of be recruited over when you get to the time you should be starting.
But wait a minute. He was a FOUR STAR recruit. Doesn't that automatically make him great - at least to many on this Board? Aren't we supposed to recruit 4 and 5 star guys regardless of talent?
There is nothing wrong with JUCOs or Prep school guys. If they are talented ball players - and we have had many of these in the past - it doesn't matter where they come from. Being a JUCO does not make a guy any more or less talented than a guy coming out of high school. The issue is usually grades or qualifying course credits. The only thing there is certainty to is that they have more experience and are older and more developed than a HS kid.

Reactions: Tigerof66
That's not a good sign when your filling holes with juco's. We need to spend more time and money in recruiting instead of depending on juco's.
There's not a real difference between a JUCO and a player that leaves after his junior year. Those players are rarely impact players in year one and you only get them for 2 years. The same could be said about a JUCO. I will concede that there is an advantage to learning the playbook in a first unproductive year for high school recruits but that's it !

Reactions: 67gamecock
I think adding JUCO's add depth and allow you to get a guy after he's near physical maturity rather than spend 2 years developing that.

If we can land a game changer on both sides of the ball and fill in with JUCO talent, we are in GREAT shape...

We are recruiting juco players. we have major gaps to fill. we do not have a choice.

however, if you do it right, you can repair a team. It is risky however, and not a great long term plan.

It is tough being in limbo. We all know that last years class decommits hurt, but recruiting has struggled since shane left.

There's not a real difference between a JUCO and a player that leaves after his junior year. Those players are rarely impact players in year one and you only get them for 2 years. The same could be said about a JUCO. I will concede that there is an advantage to learning the playbook in a first unproductive year for high school recruits but that's it !
JUCOs can sometimes come in and help right away but they really need to be early enrollees. I don't like bringing JUCOs in that can't get here until the summer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT