ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting and the transfer portal

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
If a recruit doesnt pick your school. Do yall think it is ok for a coach to tell the kid. If it dont work out your Freshman year. Call me next year and enter the portal.

If a recruit doesnt pick your school. Do yall think it is ok for a coach to tell the kid. If it dont work out your Freshman year. Call me next year and enter the portal.
Of course. That is the game now. The transfer portal is becoming every bit as important as recruiting HS players but it does not show up in recruiting rankings so the “experts” on internet forums don’t follow it.

Reactions: jeff2001
I think the portal will really hurt Juco recruiting in the years to come.
It will certainly make the JUCO selection process much more competitive. No need to scour the JUCO ranks when there is a much bigger pool of more qualified players with relevant experience available who can also step in and play immediately.

Reactions: Lakecock1
It will certainly make the JUCO selection process much more competitive. No need to scour the JUCO ranks when there is a much bigger pool of more qualified players with relevant experience available who can also step in and play immediately.
I hadn't thought about this. But perhaps it will add an extra incentive for high school kids to keep their grades up? I honestly don't know. 🤷‍♂️

I hadn't thought about this. But perhaps it will add an extra incentive for high school kids to keep their grades up? I honestly don't know. 🤷‍♂️
Perhaps- an unintended positive side effect? With so few college FB players making the NFL, getting more to focus on getting into better schools if the JUCO process is diminished may lead to more getting a better education? It will also perhaps put more of a focus for coaches on treating their players better once on campus. We all know they tell these kids lies to get them to commit- “oh, sure, we want you to play QB here”- kid commits and three practices in they move him to WR or safety… Coaches all play MR Niceguy on the recruiting trail then turn into calloused pricks on the practice field.. Keep lying and treating players like that now and they can walk. Forcing kids to go out and keep playing even when they are injured… May not be something fans care about much, but the players will have to be treated like they are being “recruited” their whole career or they know they can move on. Lots of potential changes on the horizon…

I don't think it's okay but I think it will happen.

I don't think it's okay but I think it will happen.
Just to be clear- He was not referring to recruiting kids after they were playing for another team. He was talking about before they sign, a high level guy choses another school and you tell them to just “keep me in mind if it does not work out there”. You think that is not OK?

Just to be clear- He was not referring to recruiting kids after they were playing for another team. He was talking about before they sign, a high level guy choses another school and you tell them to just “keep me in mind if it does not work out there”. You think that is not OK?

I understood exactly what he was saying. However, to me that is saying you may fail and puts a negative connotation on the recruits commitment to the school he chose. If you were truly the 2nd runner up then the recruit in all likelihood will give you a call if things don't workout at the school he originally chose.

I understood exactly what he was saying. However, to me that is saying you may fail and puts a negative connotation on the recruits commitment to the school he chose. If you were truly the 2nd runner up then the recruit in all likelihood will give you a call if things don't workout at the school he originally chose.
I see your point but I don’t think it is looked at failing if a kid transfers these days. Not as much as it once was… Many guys get somewhere, and find they are behind an entrenched starter and move on to find a place to get in the game sooner. Not because they failed or feel they can’t hack it, more just because they don’t want to wait their turn.. Many successful players are hitting thenportal these days. We landed the NCAA sack leader from the portal for instance.. He just wanted to move up to a big time conference I am sure to better showcase his abilities.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT